Gay Dog Refused Entry To A Restaurant

sausy.dog

I realise there are some seriously uneducated people out there but this is unbelievable. :love:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/gay-dogs-not...u-1225857841237

Gay dogs not welcome, diner told

A RESTAURANT that refused a blind man entry because it thought his guide dog was "gay" has been ordered by the Equal Opportunity Tribunal to pay him $1500.

Woodville North man Ian Jolly, 57, was barred from dining at Grange restaurant Thai Spice in May last year after a staff member mistook his guide dog Nudge for a "gay dog", the tribunal heard this week.

A statement given by restaurant owners Hong Hoa Thi To and Anh Hoang Le said one of the waiters had understood Mr Jolly's partner Chris Lawrence "to be saying she wanted to bring a gay dog into the restaurant".

"The staff genuinely believed that Nudge was an ordinary pet dog which had been desexed to become a gay dog," the statement said.

Mr Jolly and Ms Lawrence were refused entry to the restaurant - which displays a "guide dogs welcome" sign - even after providing staff with a guide dogs fact card.

At an Equal Opportunity Tribunal conciliation hearing on Friday, the restaurant agreed to provide Mr Jolly with a written apology and attend an Equal Opportunity education course, in addition to paying him $1500.

Mr Jolly said while he was happy with the result, the embarrassing incident had dampened his enthusiasm for eating out at restaurants. "It gives you some comfort that Equal Opportunity is there," he said.

"But I always have that fear now, when I go out.

"I just want to be like everybody else and be able to go out for dinner, to be left alone and just enjoy a meal."

Thai Spice refused to speak to the Sunday Mail when contacted for comment during the week.

The tribunal is also set to hear another case where a visually impaired man was refused entry to a city restaurant because the chef was allergic to dogs.

The man, whose identity is being kept secret by the tribunal, said the manager told him he could not bring his guide dog into the restaurant unless he had permission from the police.

The manager also told him he could not come in because the chef was allergic to dogs.

A date for the conciliation hearing is yet to be set.

Equal Opportunity spokeswoman Corina Mulholland said there was an increasing number of disability discrimination issues being reported to the commission.

In the last financial year, the commission received 499 disability related inquiries, and it has already received 440 inquiries from July 2009 to mid-March.

It predicted a 23 per cent increase in inquiries relating to disability discrimination compared with last financial year.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:love:

Oh well, people should speak clearly ..... "guide dog" not pronounced clearly could easily sound like "gay dog" and some of our Asian restaurant staff would probably pronounce it just like that as well.

Hope they managed to get a meal elsewhere

:love:

Edited by Souff

In addition to the completely offensive act of not allowing this man and his guide dog into a restaurant even when a Guide Dogs Welcome sign is on the front, I would like to know who the hell cares if a damn dog is gay?! And what exact impact does that have on the restaurant?! And are these people completely subintelligent?! How do you desex a dog to make it gay?! And HOW exactly can you tell if a dog is gay if there are no other dogs around!? I am dumbfounded by this!

Obviously it wasn't because they thought the dog was 'gay' (however you get a gay dog :D ;)) - they would have thought it was a 'normal' dog and as such not allowed inside a restaurant. Do Guide dogs have a special badge/pass thing that shows they are a Guide Dog - I know that the Assistance Dogs have to? It says they showed the restaurant with a fact card - not the same thing. I agree Souff, speaking clearly would have most likely helped!

This is not in any way defending restaurants or other establishments that discriminate against people with disabilites. I don't think this is the case here.

I know I shouldn't but :D

How absurd!

Me too ;) :mad

Obvious it was a language barrier problem. They also may have thought he was a nutcase/weirdo asking to bring a gay dog in

There are some very strange people around. The fine was a bit stiff for what was a misunderstanding.

In addition to the completely offensive act of not allowing this man and his guide dog into a restaurant even when a Guide Dogs Welcome sign is on the front, I would like to know who the hell cares if a damn dog is gay?! And what exact impact does that have on the restaurant?! And are these people completely subintelligent?! How do you desex a dog to make it gay?! And HOW exactly can you tell if a dog is gay if there are no other dogs around!? I am dumbfounded by this!

Oh, dont be too disturbed, they have a lot of "slow news days" in South Australia .... I too think it is ludicrous, but funny too .... the comedy show writers will already have it filed under "material" :D

:D

Oh well, people should speak clearly ..... "guide dog" not pronounced clearly could easily sound like "gay dog" and some of our Asian restaurant staff would probably pronounce it just like that as well.

Hope they managed to get a meal elsewhere

;)

The restaurant in question is my local Thai restaurant, and we go there quite a bit (although I may go elsewhere after reading this).

The staff have very little English and it can be hard just to place your order, let alone trying to get any other point across.

Nonetheless I think this situation is absurd, and it might be time for us to find a new Thai restaurant.

Sounds as if the staff's lack of English could be the problem.

Or, they realised what the dog was, and wouldn't let it in anyhow, but needed a story for the hearing.

Who said galahs? I'm with you

And what exactly is a "gay dog"? Wearing nail polish? A dress? False eyelashes? Barks in a high squeaky voice? Pink bow on the head?

Yep, galahs :D

Obviously it wasn't because they thought the dog was 'gay' (however you get a gay dog :D ;)) - they would have thought it was a 'normal' dog and as such not allowed inside a restaurant. Do Guide dogs have a special badge/pass thing that shows they are a Guide Dog - I know that the Assistance Dogs have to? It says they showed the restaurant with a fact card - not the same thing. I agree Souff, speaking clearly would have most likely helped!

This is not in any way defending restaurants or other establishments that discriminate against people with disabilites. I don't think this is the case here.

Nah mate. They stated that they objected on the grounds that the dog had been desexed and was therefore gay :mad ...... they wouldn't let the dog come in because of it's sexual preferences - maybe it was wearing a feather boa and stilletos. ROFLMAO Too too ridiculous for words. :):champagne: I don't think I'll be game to eat there either!

Do Guide dogs have a special badge/pass thing that shows they are a Guide Dog - I know that the Assistance Dogs have to?

I don't know about other Guide Dog organisations, but Guide Dogs Vic gives their handlers an ID card, and I think the dogs wear a Guide Dog medallion.

The Guide Harnesses the dogs wear are pretty obvious. Some harnesses also have signs on the handles saying "Please don't touch my Guide Dog."

Edited by Baby Dragon

The other case where the chef was allergic, got me thinking... what would happen if a person with a guide dog went into a restaurant where someone worked or was dining that was severely allergic to dogs? Obviously you cannot ask a blind person to leave or refuse admittance, but if another diner or a worker was allergic to the point they couldn't be around a dog (whether it be guide or other)...what would happen there?

Do Guide dogs have a special badge/pass thing that shows they are a Guide Dog - I know that the Assistance Dogs have to?

I don't know about other Guide Dog organisations, but Guide Dogs Vic gives their handlers an ID card, and I think the dogs wear a Guide Dog medallion.

The Guide Harnesses the dogs wear are pretty obvious. Some harnesses also have signs on the handles saying "Please don't touch my Guide Dog."

Yep a blind person on the other end of the lead. :thumbsup::birthday::o:)