Blind Dog

Abigail

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much everyone :) I will speak to my neighbours tomorrow and will be showing them this thread and they in turn can show their "friends" and put them in their rightful place! I see this sibe almost every day and I know how happy she is. Long live Chrystal.

Just recently, I started a thread about my Pug with epilepsy and the comments I often hear about putting dogs with this condition to sleep, so I know exactly how they feel. It all boils down to quality of life and his owners would know what the quality of living is of this dog. I know my dog has a good life, and I am sure the dog in question does also.

Still, it hurts to hear people say you should end the life of your dog. :)

Good for you Anne. Your little boy is just so lucky to have you as an owner. Kudos to everyone who responded here and especially so to those of you who have a blind pet or two. You are amazing people for sticking by them. :)

So many people forget that dogs are DOGS, not people. They really don't know what they're missing once they get through that adjustment period. Providing they are living with a family who is sensitive to their special needs, and keeps them safe, of course it's not cruel.

Dogs' senses are so much more developed than human's. A dog doesn't know it is "disabled"

If the dog is being cared for by a responsible owner then why have it PTS? It's not in pain, it's not suffering, it's happy. Dogs don't need all of their senses to live normal lives. Lucky dog for finding the owners that it did :)

Exactly. I think it is horrible that these kind and loving people have been made to question what they are doing.

To the Original Poster ask your neighbours this question. Do we put down people that are blind? No! People adapt to their disability as do dogs. If the dog is happy, not in pain and is still enjoying its owners and they are still enjoying the dog then why change it?

They are the ones that are looking after the dog and its problem. It really is no one elses business.

Whoever said to put the dog to sleep would be the type that would get rid of a pup simply because it wont teach itself to behave.

Some people really have no idea.

ETA I applaud the dogs owners for still loving the dog regardless of its slight imperfection. I condemn the idiots that suggested PTS.

Have to agree totally and emphasise everything here.

Thank you so much everyone :) I will speak to my neighbours tomorrow and will be showing them this thread and they in turn can show their "friends" and put them in their rightful place! I see this sibe almost every day and I know how happy she is. Long live Chrystal.

Oh that is good. I just hate to think that they are now feeling they are doing the wrong thing. They have a happy, healthy, playful and much loved dog. What more could the dog want.

I had a mini foxy that stayed with Mum when I got married (as she was friends with her dog). She gradually went blind, and coped very well. Got around her own back yard really well, including chasing birds (and nearly getting them b/c by golly she could jump). You wouldn't know she was blind.

However, Mum went on holidays, and I decided to bring her to my place rather than have to go there every day. When I brought her home, she was lost and panicky. I quickly realised she was better in her own yard, and she went home again, where she was fine.

I wouldn't PTS based on blindness if the dog is coping well.

Gee I must be mean as I have just returned from taking my 100% blind pug for 40 minute walk. He went offlead at the oval and even met another two doggies to say hello to.

Call the RSPCA!! :)

Zero has partial blindness from blunt force trauma to the eyes. He has problems seeing in the dark but he does just fine. I'm pretty sure he'll end up totally blind but as long as he's happy and coping, I'm not going to have him PTS over it. I don't really think it would change all that much for him. His sense of smell more than makes up for the eyes at night so I don't think it would be a problem during the day either.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a dog relies on his sight much less than humans because by comparison their other senses are far superior to ours.

Either way I don't think anyone should euth their pets on a disability basis unless it is in pain or cant function etc

my 2cents worth. :)

I had an older Crestie who was going blind. She was anxious and not always coping because she was surrounded by 3 boisterous young labradors who didn't look to see where she was. I found a new home for her where she has been for a few years. She's as happy as a piglet in mud!

No way should they Euth

I remember meeting a little Silky. He was 10 or more years old and had had both eyes removed due to Glaucoma. One at around 3 I think and one at 5. As he had a fringe you couldn't ven tell he didn't have any eyes.

he owners said he was fine as long as they didn't move furniture around. He did zoomies through the house every night.

He eventually got euthed at 16 due to old age related problems.

If she has owners who are happy managing a blind dog who is anyone else to say it is cruel. They can be happy as a full sighted dog.

I think the decision is dog /environment dependant, most dogs cope very well in most conditions. Always exceptions to the rule. However one can definitely make changes to the environment where the blind dog can cope more adequately. It is also owner dependant- are they motivated or able to provide this level of care? It seems like the owners of the dog are "well suited/motivared to cope" with a blind dog. Obviously the others wouldnt, and never would try to......it really doesnt involve them so their opinions are irrelevant.

Having spent near 3000 on my then 14yrold poodle last year and near 1400 last few months I have heard many opinions....but the decision with guidence with my vet my dog and myself is the only one that matters. :confused:

Tell the dog's owner to tell the 'visitor' that he/she is wrong.

Agree entirely.

Our sheltie boy gradually lost his sight until he went blind across the last 5 years of his life. He had an eye condition....that was diagnosed, but nothing could stop the deterioration.

Like the OP's husky, he was happy, safe & secure. There were only a few basics that kept him so. Keeping his tracks thro' the house & garden clear.

Making a noise & saying his name before touching him (he'd get a fright if something came at him suddenly).

His sheltie 'sister' was his seeing-eye-dog, self appointed. :)

I actually found that this lovely blind boy became closer to us, in a very special way. Because touch meant so much to him.

Edited by mita

That's just erm 'rubbish' (my original word was far ruder).

Should blind people be euthanised?

Tell your neighbours they should check out Myron and his owner Rachelle Wood http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=1863...amp;topic=10302

Myron had his eyes removed at 5 months due to glaucoma, but I dare ANYONE to say he isn't the happiest looking dog in the world!

I have told my neighbours about this thread and they read it themselves on their own computer; they then mentioned this to their friends and the comment they were given in return was that it would be expected to receive such a reaction from a dog forum which constitutes "dog lovers." So, is that to say that they themselves (neighbour's friends) are not dog lovers?

I have told my neighbours about this thread and they read it themselves on their own computer; they then mentioned this to their friends and the comment they were given in return was that it would be expected to receive such a reaction from a dog forum which constitutes "dog lovers." So, is that to say that they themselves (neighbour's friends) are not dog lovers?

So the neighbours know more than hundreds of people who breed, own and interact with dogs on a daily basis? I don't think they'd be my friends anymore.

I'd suggest to your neighbours that they should find some new friends.

Edited by Mollie10

So the neighbours know more than hundreds of people who breed, own and interact with dogs on a daily basis? I don't think they'd be my friends anymore.

I'd suggest to your neighbours that they should find some new friends.

DITTO ! That is exactly what I said but they have known each other for donkeys and apparently they are good people aside from the fact that they are not doggy people ! I don't tend to have too much time for people who unable to show compassion towards animals.

This would imply that, as "dog lovers" we wouldn't do what was right for our dogs, only what makes us, the human, happy. Yet how many of us (and I'll stick my neck out and say "all") would euth our dogs the moment we felt that their lives were no longer worth living? Being a "dog lover" doesn't mean hanging onto a dog at all costs, no matter how good or bad that was for the dog, it means being in tune enough with our dogs to understand their quality of life and act accordingly.

We say that a blind dog that is coping well has a good quality of life and therefore pts isn't necessary. Where the dog isn't coping well, pts might well be the best option.