Blind Dog

Abigail

My neighbour owns a blind siberian husky that has been blind for the last 2 years. They purchased her when she was 8 wks old. She developed glaucoma in one eye and, to cut a long story short, she was given special drops to delay the onset of glaucoma but as time went by blindness set in. She was gloomy at first and did not want to eat but has now settled in a world of darkness and is a happy chappy or should I say, damsel. She eats, walks herself and is healthy. When I visit my neighbours I can see that she is indeed a happy dog and is also very playful, she really knows her way around. The owners love her to death. I was speaking to them yesterday and they were disappointed as a visitor had said that they felt they were being cruel by keeping her alive and that she should be put to sleep; they vehemently disagree with this and said that she will continue her life for as long as she is happy and otherwise healthy, I concur. I would never put down a dog simply because of its blindness.

What do you think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ams

Dogs cope very well being blind. If she is healthy and happy then I see no reason to pts.

Guest *Pixie*

So many people forget that dogs are DOGS, not people. They really don't know what they're missing once they get through that adjustment period. Providing they are living with a family who is sensitive to their special needs, and keeps them safe, of course it's not cruel.

If the dog is being cared for by a responsible owner then why have it PTS? It's not in pain, it's not suffering, it's happy. Dogs don't need all of their senses to live normal lives. Lucky dog for finding the owners that it did :hug:

I have a 14 yo dog here who has been blind for several years, she navigates up and down the stairs, explores the yard, bosses the other dogs and generally is enjoying her golden years. I would never consider Euthing her over her eyesight.

Geez how harsh! My 14 year old Lhasa is pretty much totally blind and he still gets around just fine. He has only slowed down due to age, not his vision. I have a 13 year old Keeshond who is totally deaf now, should I put her down for that too?

James Herriot wrote a lovely piece in one of his books about a dog going blind - he was of the opinion that they don't suffer the mental anguish a human would - if she is happy and confident in her environment then she is better of than some other dogs with full eyesight

A dam shame that your friends' (owners of the blind dog) friends felt that their ignorant judgemental comment was required.

Now your friend has been hurt by these people and are left questioning their decision.

When will people learn to live and let live.

If the dog in question is healthy and happy, then it is fine. By all accounts, this is the case.

To the Original Poster ask your neighbours this question. Do we put down people that are blind? No! People adapt to their disability as do dogs. If the dog is happy, not in pain and is still enjoying its owners and they are still enjoying the dog then why change it?

They are the ones that are looking after the dog and its problem. It really is no one elses business.

Whoever said to put the dog to sleep would be the type that would get rid of a pup simply because it wont teach itself to behave.

Some people really have no idea.

ETA I applaud the dogs owners for still loving the dog regardless of its slight imperfection. I condemn the idiots that suggested PTS.

Edited by yarracully

So many people forget that dogs are DOGS, not people. They really don't know what they're missing once they get through that adjustment period. Providing they are living with a family who is sensitive to their special needs, and keeps them safe, of course it's not cruel.

Exactly what I was going to say.

My old ACD girl was blind and if I let her lead go she would be off! Obviously her other senses were enough for her to cope really well :(

That reminded me of her visits to the vet in her later years. She would sit facing the food stand in the corner :hug:

definately not. Blind dogs can be as happy as seeing dogs, it is us that create their worry about the loss of vision. I have 2 partially blind dogs and 2 totally blind dogs ( 1 of which has insulin dependent diabetes) there is no way in the world that I would even consider having

them put to sleep because of their blindness. They are happy and accept it. I hope the people with the Sibe stick to their guns and

don't listen to others.

Marion01

my dog has been blind for 2 years. I wouldnt dream of putting him down because he was blind!!!

He is just as happy as he was before and if anything is more spoilt now. Everyone is always surprised at how happy and friendly he is even though he cant see a thing

Just recently, I started a thread about my Pug with epilepsy and the comments I often hear about putting dogs with this condition to sleep, so I know exactly how they feel. It all boils down to quality of life and his owners would know what the quality of living is of this dog. I know my dog has a good life, and I am sure the dog in question does also.

Still, it hurts to hear people say you should end the life of your dog. :hug: