Blind Dog

Abigail

That's just erm 'rubbish' (my original word was far ruder).

Should blind people be euthanised?

Tell your neighbours they should check out Myron and his owner Rachelle Wood http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=1863...amp;topic=10302

Myron had his eyes removed at 5 months due to glaucoma, but I dare ANYONE to say he isn't the happiest looking dog in the world!

Thanks for that link, Mollie10. That is just so touching, bless Rachelle for being the person that she is.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havea deaf dog who has been deaf for about 5 years, she is 15 today.

Her mother went deaf also so we used hand signals and Wil learnt these before she went deaf.

I would not put a blind dog to sleep just adjust for them as necessary.

My dog is blind in one eye. She was born like it. There are no limits on what she can do, she knows no different. We do obedience training, hoping to trial later this year, we are starting agility and she can do numerous tricks. Some circumstances such as night training are a little harder but we work through it.

I think I've posted this before, a blind dog competing in obedience

I know of a siberian OS who went blind suddenly. Prior to going blind he was a top sled dog. Once he went blind his owners thought that they would have to retire him, but he just wasn't happy sitting on the side lines.

He's now back in harness, and running so well that he's made their A team!!!

http://www.kel-im.com/kelimsiberians/quest.html

Edited by SilverHaze

Has the dog still got its eyes? Glaucoma is very painful. :laugh:

But no, he should not be PTS. Blind dogs cope very well.

Her eyes were removed a week after she lost her sight for the very reason that you mentioned. They were told by the local vet that glaucoma is painful and hence she was booked in for surgery as soon as was possible. I remember the owners being really upset about it all but they knew they were doing the right thing by their beloved Chrystal.

I am a dog lover and I take a small amount of offence to the "friends" comment about dogs lovers and what would you expect.

Because I love my dogs as much as I do each and every decision regarding their health and treatment is made with THEIR BEST INTERESTS AT HEART. Not keep them alive at all costs for myself.

If I had a dog that was blind and not coping the dog would be euthanased. I do not see any reason to euth a blind dog who had caring owners who are more than happy to do what needs to be done to keep their pet safe and happy. The dog is coping just fine, why on earth should it be euthed?

I would never keep my dog alive for me -EVER. I have euthanased my dog even though to everyone else she looked great. I knew she was dying, I knew without lots of medication she would have already ded and I knew if I left her she could possibly die in a very drawn out scary and painful way. She was euthed. When I said to my vet - she looks so damn good, I wished she looked sicker then it might make me not fel so bad. Her reply was "she only looks as good as she does because you have worked so hard to keep her as healthy as you could".

Yes I am a dog lover, but I am certainly not selfish. Neither are this dogs owners.

friends like that we could all do without.

ignorant fools..

as the dog in question is obviously well cared for and loved and is not only coping but enjoying her life how dare these ignoramusus make such comments.. how hurtful and thoughtless... same sort of folks who say "its only a dog you can always get another "when your heart dog is dying.. sigh not a clue

H

edit spelling again!

Edited by dogbesotted

My old girl was blind for the last couple of years of her life. Didn't bother her in the slightest. She just charged around as usual - I had to be on my toes when we went for walks coz if she caught a scent she'd race off after it regardless of what was in the way. She also used to check out new environments very carefully, almost in a grid pattern and you could see her taking note of obstacles etc - most of the time no-one could tell she was blind.

So no, theres no need to pts a perfectly happy healthy dog just because its sight has gone.

I know of many blind dogs who lead happy, fulfilling lives. the other senses take over, and as long as the owners make some slight accommodations for the dog, there seem to be no problems.

Comments such as "it's cruel" are made from ignorance, and little animal knowledge. Better to ignore such comments.

Or ask if they think blind people should be euthanased?

A national magazine featured a dog born without eyes, which seems to be a happy, well adjusted dog, leading a full life.

I agree with everyone else.. no need to PTS if she is happy and pain free.

My mum is horrified that I had my 13yr old Lab's back leg amputated a few weeks ago.. she won't visit here because she says Cordy will make her feel sick because I have mutilated her. She firmly believes I should have put her to sleep....

i think it's more of a shock for humans then the dogs . I get the same attitude from people that our 9 yr old should of been PTS after being diagnosed with SARDS . She went 100% blind overnight . she is a very happy dog and she has adjusted very well to the blindness. She still runs around flat out playing with her toys and our other 2 dogs and is always wagging her tail wanting to play. You wouldn't even know she was blind unless i told you . If she was in pain and not coping and miserable then it would be a different story .

I know several very happy blind dogs - my eye sight is going - I had better stay away from these people or they might have me PTS as well.

:laugh: Funny that, lol. The man wears glasses all the time. The very one who commented that it was cruel

to keep Chrystal alive! :(