Editing Programs

Burkes

Hi DOL'ers,

I have recently ventured out of the rescue forum to find this fantastic photos section. Loving all the threads and especially all the photos.

Taking photos of my rescue dogs has opened me up to the world of photography and I am loving it. I am about to purchase a new DSLR (with help from DOL threads:) but am not sure what editing program to buy.

Basically, most of my photos will be dog related with a few others thrown in there. I don't want to become a professional, but anything that will help my dogs find a home is great. Due to this limited use, I don't really want to spend heaps of money either. Is Photoshop the way to go? Is the most up to date version the best?

What would you recommend?

One example of what I would like to do is this photo of my current foster dog Gooby. A friend ran a quick 'edit' over it for me that made the colours a lot more vivid. I will probably get into cropping and stuff too.

post-33610-1273145589_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Id suggest Photoshop Elements - cheaper than the full version and probably got everything you would need as a beginner in editing pics. ANother that have used and seen recommended is Paintshop Pro.

Why buy something to do just simple stuff? photoshop is hellishly expensive for strating off. For all sorts of basic stuff like coloursaturation/cropping, framing/taking away unwanted 'bits' Why not try either PICASA.. just one important thing- IF you download this one- you MUST tell it to only upload stuff you telll it to ! Otherwise it will grab every image on your computer,and organise them :love:

Or.. one which does a lot of good things ..Photo Pos Pro :grouphug:

IMO - start off iwth things like this, and if they are then not powerful enough for you- then look at buying one of the ADOBE products :love:

have fun playing with your pics!!

If you buy Canon (not sure about Nikon) it will come with a basic editing program that will crop, sharpen, colour saturate and quite a few other things, including the ability to remove unwanted things in photos and it's free. It wont do the fancy shmancy stuff of photoshop but it might be all you need.

It comes on a disc and there's Zoom browser and Digital Photo Professional. :grouphug:

I simply cant afford Photoshop so I use Paintshop Pro x2. It is a bit more basic than Photoshop, has some nice extras Elements doesnt. The new upgrade version is now available (corel photo Studio is NOT the same) That being said I cant wait to get stuck into PS when the dollars allow.

Hi Burke :grouphug:

I struggle with most of the advanced PS editing programs (my DH sometimes does my editing using PS), but for the most simplest easy to use one , I have found this quite good IMO. Picnik

I do pay a small amount to have use of the extra features. There are some tacky aspects of it, but there are lot of functions that are very good, and quite professional looking once applied to your photos!

I used to use Picasa, that's not too bad either for a very basic easy to use editing program. I prefer Picnik because you can do drop shadows in it. I couldn't do that in Picasa, unless they have added more features since the last time I used it?

Perhaps u could start off with the easy use ones while you are getting confidence, and work up to some of more advanced editing programs ! :love:

All the best with your new camera !:love:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Jules - the main problem with that picnik application is that it is not a download- one needs to be online to use it.. For many folks,like me, on set plans- this means extra every time they need to do a photo :grouphug: It is fun to play with - but eats up allocations too fast!

Edited by persephone

Jules - the main problem with that picnik application is that it is not a download- one needs to be online to use it.. For many folks,like me, on set plans- this means extra every time they need to do a photo :grouphug: It is fun to play with - but eats up allocations too fast!

Oh does it eeek. I am always online so I hadn't noticed ! I should have thought that since I have never downloaded it !

Well yeah that might be a problem for some people then :love:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Awesome, thanks for the tips all.

I think I will try a couple of the freebies first and then see how I go.

I probably will end up buying a Canon so if you get a program with that then great! Not htat I have anything against Nikon, I have just always had Canon's and they have been very good to me. My current DSLR is a Canon Powershot G5. Its so old, has been dropped 100 times and one corner got chewed up but it still does the job.

Thanks again.

julesluvscavs thanks for that link i have had some fun with it :cry:

I'm no good with those programs where a grey screen comes up and nothing..I just sit there looking and wondering where do I start :mad

i would love to do some effects on my photo's

julesluvscavs thanks for that link i have had some fun with it :cry:

I'm no good with those programs where a grey screen comes up and nothing..I just sit there looking and wondering where do I start :mad

You and me both, we can go sit in the corner and twiddle our thumbs.

would go with photoshop elelemts, and watch the editing though - some people new to this sort of stuff learn about saturating colours, and go way overboard, and end up with neon type colours - a light hand is generally best at this sort of stuff - just look at what Ruth does with her shots - she has a great example on her blog of a before and after with photoshop

julesluvscavs thanks for that link i have had some fun with it :eek:

I'm no good with those programs where a grey screen comes up and nothing..I just sit there looking and wondering where do I start :p

My pleasure ! ;)

If you start getting into it regularly, I would rec commend paying for some of the extra features. It's not overly expensive :angel:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

If you buy Canon (not sure about Nikon) it will come with a basic editing program that will crop, sharpen, colour saturate and quite a few other things, including the ability to remove unwanted things in photos and it's free.

Kirislin, just curious.. I just bought a canon DSLR as you know :eek:

It came with three discs in the box. Which one do you think would be the editing program?

"Set up photography" "EOS Digital Solution Disk" and the other one is the instruction manual..

If you buy Canon (not sure about Nikon) it will come with a basic editing program that will crop, sharpen, colour saturate and quite a few other things, including the ability to remove unwanted things in photos and it's free.

Kirislin, just curious.. I just bought a canon DSLR as you know :o

It came with three discs in the box. Which one do you think would be the editing program?

"Set up photography" "EOS Digital Solution Disk" and the other one is the instruction manual..

the EOS Solution disk. It's got Zoom Browser and DPP

Kirislin, just curious.. I just bought a canon DSLR as you know :rofl:

the EOS Solution disk. It's got Zoom Browser and DPP

Thanks! :o