Moving Interstate

Hi,

I'll be moving from Melbourne to Adelaide with my partner in early July. We're planning to drive down and it'll be about a 9 hours drive. My question is, would it be best to fly our puppy, Bailey(which will be about 1 in July) over in a crate then pick him up when we arrive, or would it be ok if we put him in the crate at the back of the car.

If you guys think flying him over is better, could you guys also suggest which pet transport company would be better?

If you guys think he will be fine being in a crate for so long with the occasional walk and break in between to let him pee and stretch his legs, can you guys give me advices or ideas how to make the trip less boring and easier on him?

Thanks in advance.

I have done Melbourne to Adelaide several times with no problems at all. Every couple of hours I stop and let them out of the crate for a leg stretch and wee. I don't feed mine and only give a little to drink as some get car sick and throw up on a full stomach over that distance. Mine usually sleep and wake up when the car stops :thumbsup:

My daughter ans SIL bring there dog and cat with them a couple of times a year to visit, its about 17 hours each way and the dog is fine, they stop every few hours to let them out for a break.

I would be taking with me, if you fly him he will either be sitting at an airport for hours waiting for you to pick him up or someone will have to take him to the airport to put him on the plane. what happens if you are delayed, would you have someone who could pick him up at the other end.

How does he like the car?

I did NSW to WA - 4 days in a car with 2 dogs, one coped fine, loved it, the other hated it and I was ready to kick him out of the car at Dubbo! On the way home i took Kaos, but flew Atlas, much less stress for him (not for me)

I drove from Canberra to Brisbane with mine and he hated it - he was stressed for days after (very clingy, upset tummy).

I now fly with him and he seems to find that a lot easier - he does so some signs of stresses at the airport (he cries and stratches at his box) but once we collect him at the other end he bounds out of his box like nothing happened.

If the logistics work out I would fly my dog but guess it depends how yours goes when travelling

I've driven that way a couple of times with my dog - no problem . Just stop every couple of hours for 5/10 minutes ...

One tip .

TODAY - start getting your dog to toilet on command - on leash, preferably . Start him toileting off leash, then after a week or two- add the leash.

That way- you can stop anywhere, and have the dog toilet where and when you want, quickly, and with no fuss.Everyone will be more relaxed and comfortable :thumbsup:

oh, and "boring" is GOOD. dogs do not have to be entertained every minute - especially when travelling. :thanks: Make sure he has a BIG walk.run/obedience session before you leave... !!

Edited by persephone

I drove from Traralgon (SE Vic) to Wagga...a trip of about 8 hours.....with an 8 month old pup. She was fine, she slept most of the way and when we stopped for food, she'd have a run around, a drink and a small snack.

She is very used to travelling though, as I showed her from when she was 3 months old and shows for us were always about a 2 hour drive.

If the dog doesn't "hate" the car I'd definitely take it with you.

I've travelled a lot over the last 30 odd years and always had a car full of children and/or dogs.

Luckily I've never had a problem but my dogs had to get used to travel as a young pup.

I guess for now I'm leaning towards taking him with us as we'll feel more at ease knowing he's safe and sound. Thanks for all the advices so far.

My daughter ans SIL bring there dog and cat with them a couple of times a year to visit, its about 17 hours each way and the dog is fine, they stop every few hours to let them out for a break.

I would be taking with me, if you fly him he will either be sitting at an airport for hours waiting for you to pick him up or someone will have to take him to the airport to put him on the plane. what happens if you are delayed, would you have someone who could pick him up at the other end.

You make a very good point here. I was pondering as well if I were to put him on a plane how would I arrange the logistics.

How does he like the car?

I did NSW to WA - 4 days in a car with 2 dogs, one coped fine, loved it, the other hated it and I was ready to kick him out of the car at Dubbo! On the way home i took Kaos, but flew Atlas, much less stress for him (not for me)

He loves the car. He likes nothing better than to feel the breeze against his face. Never had a problem settling down in a car since I got him.

I've driven that way a couple of times with my dog - no problem . Just stop every couple of hours for 5/10 minutes ...

One tip .

TODAY - start getting your dog to toilet on command - on leash, preferably . Start him toileting off leash, then after a week or two- add the leash.

That way- you can stop anywhere, and have the dog toilet where and when you want, quickly, and with no fuss.Everyone will be more relaxed and comfortable :thumbsup:

oh, and "boring" is GOOD. dogs do not have to be entertained every minute - especially when travelling. :thanks: Make sure he has a BIG walk.run/obedience session before you leave... !!

He does toilet on command. So that problem's solved! Would definitely wear him out with a good long walk before we travel.

What Persephone said about managing the young fellow on the trip.

Friends drove their 6 months old tibbie boy from Melbourne to Adelaide. He travelled in the back seat. When a traffic policeman stopped them & stuck his head in the car window to say they were over the speed-limit....there was a continuous low growl from the little bloke in the back seat.. :thumbsup:

No problems in the trip for this pup....except for leaving a probably terrifed police-officer behind him. :thanks::eek:

Id definitely drive him, I recently did Brisbane to country NSW and back again, its about 1500kms each way

Lexi was fine, she just slept the whole way, Tess gets half a sedative which relaxes her enough to realise the car isnt going to kill her, it wears off at some stage in the trip but she doesnt stress once its worn off either

Drive - I would much rather a 9 hr trip in the car with dogs than kids any day.

Much more relaxing and no - "are we there yet" - how much loner" - "this is boring" every few miles.

Your dog will happily fall asleep for most of it.

Toilet brakes are easier too.

Enjoy your drive.

Many yrs ago I went for a drive for something to do - went to the QLD border - had a coffee and turned around and went home again - I was living in Euroa, Vic at the time and took my Dobermann with me. Pulled over for rests when needed and slept soundly with her beside me, stopped at the truck stops and had a great trip. That was the longest trip I did with a dog just for the fun of it, did a few others but mostly within Vic and NSW. Gone are those days, the price of fuel it's not worth it.

Edited by Andisa

For a dog that loves the car, it's not one very long trip. It's a series of journeys. Once you stop and have a break, for the dog getting back in the car is like a whole new trip....it's not a continuation of the previous one.

The dog will absolutely love it!

For a dog that loves the car, it's not one very long trip. It's a series of journeys. Once you stop and have a break, for the dog getting back in the car is like a whole new trip....it's not a continuation of the previous one.

The dog will absolutely love it!

I have to say that getting to the end of my first trip my pup really didnt want to get back in that car...she was a very good girl though and hopped in with some persuasion

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! :eek: I guess I was just a little worried about driving with him for such a long distance as I haven't done anything of that sort before. But I feel alot better now. :mad So yeap, we'll most probably be driving with the dog now.

Im glad you put your mind at ease and have sorted it all out :mad

Adelaide has monthly meet ups so once you get settled you must come along :cry: there is a thread in the social thread with all the dates on the first page.

Would love to meet your dog in your avatar :eek: