• Medium Wagon
    • Medium SUV Type
    • Large Sedan
    • Large Wagon
    • Large SUV/4WD
    • People Mover
    • Van
    • Other
  3. 3. Do you find your car suitable for dogs etc?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sort of
    • Other

Ok...have cars on the mind and it got me thinking as to what people had as dog cars - eg do you make do with what you have? do you have a car bought to be the dog-mobile? Do you have a car that you wish was more suited to ferrying dogs about? etc

:thumbsup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two cars. One dog car, and one that a dog will never step a foot in (unless dying).

The Nissan Navara (duel cab) is for the dogs. They are in the back seat unless very very dirty. If filthy they can go in the cab part.

My other non doggy car is my Ford XR8 Ute :thumbsup: Not practical at all for dogs, but I love it!

Edited by Sir WJ

I have a Mazda 6 hatch that is usually OK but had to fit stuff + dog in it yesterday and really missed my old COmmodore wagon with roof racks - just a tip - bloodhounds do not really fit in the front seat of mazda 6's :thumbsup:

I have three large dogs.....I have a Jeep grand Cherokee. Since hubby has made the easy step for it i love it. mind you we don't have kids and leave the back seats down. if I had my choice again i would have a VW van and just have the back fitted out for the dogs. I do love driving the Jeep though. It is extremely comfortable and it also tows our very heavy horsefloat really well for our horses. And it is cheap to run, the CRD Diesel is anyway. About 9litres/100km, even when towing. We often tow our dog trailer too for when we are staying somewhere, but the dogs usually travel in the Jeep with us. It also has good tie points at the back for their harnesses.

Technically I have a coupe... 2 seater convertible, definitely NOT practical in the slightest. My OH has a hatchback which is slightly more bearable but still a PITA!

Can't wait to upgrade to something bigger rather than trying to transport crates and dogs on the back seat! I have to rely on my parents to cart the gazebo and trolley to shows :o

I have just bought a brand new x-trail - I looooooove the boot space because I'll finally be able to carry Zero and his crate in the car at the same time without having to have his crate wedged in behind the front seats which cuts me off from Zero when he's sitting in the backseat. Essentially this is why I bought it. I tried a few other cars and this one came out on top. I'm very excited - it arrives next weekend!!

Before the big change, I had a corolla hatchback - it was a great little car but didn't fit Zero's crate in it very well and I could forget having anyone else with me in the car. It did have a big boot but not big enough. I think we were able to get Terranik's crates into the boot of it without a problem so if i had a smaller dog it would have been great but considering Zero's crate is the biggest I've seen on the market, I didn't have a hope in hell. I did make do with it for a few years though. It was such a reliable car. That being said, i did have to carry Zero's metal crate in it a couple of times. Folding the back seats down let me fit the crate in but Zero had to sit in the front, which I didn't like - it just didn't feel safe to me, even though he was in his normal harness.

At the moment i'm driving a borrowed mazda3 sedan - very nice car to drive but again, too small for my needs. To me, it's essentially the same size at the corolla I had, though it is a whole lot prettier on both the outside and inside! :o

Edited by ~*Shell*~

I have a Mazda3 Hatchback, but voted medium rather than small because its much bigger than my old Corolla hatchback which I considered small, Im happy with it for now with the dogs I have, but my next dog will likely be another Golden and with two goldens Ill need a much bigger car for them to be comfortable on long drives, my family lives 1500kms away from me and when I visit home my dogs come, so Ill need a bigger car to keep them comfortable on that sort of trip

I have a small hatchback and 3 dogs, 2 mediums (aussie shepherds) and a small (mini foxie cross). No way is my car practical for the dogs, but I have roof racks and my gazebo, trolley and crates go on top for shows and we all manage to fit (myself and OH included)

Green bags full of stuff and grooming box cram into the boot and foot wells in the back.

We borrow my dads huge Nissan Patrol for away shows so we can take all our camping gear, while we save for our own bigger car!

I've got a small-medium breed and my current car is perfect:

VZ_1.jpg

VZ_2.jpg

There is loads of room in the back and the lockable canopy is perfect for keeping all my show stuff secure. I can carry enough stuff in there for a whole weekend away - two show trolleys, a deluxe oztrail gazebo, a compact oztrail gazebo, my tent inner kit, a couple of camping chairs, two PP40 crates, a gazebo floor, my grooming bag, a queen size camping bed, plus my own bags (clothes etc).

The only negative is that the canopy does not have any ventilation, so it's not really suitable for transporting the dogs in the back during the heat of the day (they ride up front in the air con :rofl:). Overall though I absolutely love it :o

Edited by Miss B

One Belgian Shepherd Malinutcase and a Troop Carrier here (So 'large' dog, and 'large 4WD').

It's sort of suitable for the dog, because I haven't managed to get the dog cage/bed frame that I want in the back fabricated up for me, and now as I've lost my job, it probably won't happen for quite some time :(

The malinut thinks the front seat is his, and loves it there, but for work purposes I had to shove a plastic airline crate in the back and transport him in that :(

I have to say my vehicle would be 100x more awesome if the godsdamn wheel arches didn't get in the way of EVERYTHING :(

Have also thought about getting a false floor with drawers and hatches put in to make use of all available space, but I am reluctant to do so as I really like the extra height in the back, especially as I am about to live in the thing again... :/

Another x-trail owner here :o I love it. Easy to drive and keep clean. Easily fits the Ridgeback and the GSD x in the boot (and I reckon another could probably squeeze in there :rofl: ).

Thinking of going a Navarra next though.

I didn't really know what category my car fits in, it's only 4cyl so I don't think it's really a 'big' 4x4, it's not a SUV either.

My husky goes in the back seat, my little dog goes in the front seat, when I get a canopy the husky can go in the back if he's been a grot at the park.

And of course tows great :o

19122009669.jpg

We have a Nissan Navara and a van. The back seat has been removed in the Navara and a carpeted platform has been put in its' place, the back has a canopy with a removable dog divider. A brilliant dog car. The van has a removable back bench seat and has been professionally carpeted with marine carpet, another good dog car. We also have a 4 berth dog trailer. Very happy with our combo of vehicles.

Ok...have cars on the mind and it got me thinking as to what people had as dog cars - eg do you make do with what you have? do you have a car bought to be the dog-mobile? Do you have a car that you wish was more suited to ferrying dogs about? etc

:o

Our puppies LOVE the Ford Territory.

They HATE the WRX race car and won't get in it - sometimes they have to toughen up though.

I have a Charade Hatchback that I find great for the dogs. Dont have to worry about the mess or where I park it and its super cheap to run. I also have my track / fun/cruise car a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo that is rarely used for dogs. Its expensive to run and I can't park it anywhere!