Question To Breeders

perth_girl

A serious question to breeders.

How come almost all the websites for breeders say absolutely nothing about the prices of their puppies? I would think that most breeders are sick of getting emails just wanting to know how much they charge. Can somebody please fill me in? On that note, can anyone also tell me the 'general' price for a British bulldog pup for pet purposes (not breeding or showing)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO because it's come to be seen as the mark of a puppy farm to have prices listed - have a look at some of the "designer dog" puppy farm websites (google any sort of oodle) and you almost always get a picture with a price under it - no different to the website of a computer warehouse really.

Probably the breed club in your state is the best place to start - the secretary ought to be able to give you a ballpark figure for the breed you're interested in.

In the breed I have (Working Kelpies) prices are often listed on the website :rofl: Some working line GSD also have it on their websites. Often varies between litters from the same breeder as well as between breeders. With Kelpies they also list puppies and started (on stock) older puppies and dogs.

A serious question to breeders.

How come almost all the websites for breeders say absolutely nothing about the prices of their puppies? I would think that most breeders are sick of getting emails just wanting to know how much they charge. Can somebody please fill me in? On that note, can anyone also tell me the 'general' price for a British bulldog pup for pet purposes (not breeding or showing)

Alot of breeders don't like to advertise price as they don't want any other breeders knowing what they sell there puppies for.

For a pet bulldog you could be looking at anywhere between $1500 - $3500, I came across a breeder wanting $3500 for a limited register (pet)

bulldog mid last year.

my friend got one from a prominent WA breeder, just a pet on limited register and it was $3k, thats about the norm

And I also think its appropriate NOT to list a price, you are not shoppping for some inanimate object

Edited by ncarter

my friend got one from a prominent WA breeder, just a pet on limited register and it was $3k, thats about the norm

And I also think its appropriate not to list a price, you are not shoppping for some inanimate object

I do not and will not list prices or discuss until I have a puppy questionaire and some info about a prospective home, then it can depend on pet/show/ jnt ownership and a lot of other factors.

Most breeders want a great home and this is far outweighed by any monetary price.

J :(

some people may not advertise the price in case it tempts thieves. If people don't ask the price in their 1st approach to me I tell them, we both might as well know early on if the price is within their budget.

Why is listing price unacceptable because it is not an inanimate object? If I really liked a breed, did a little research then clicked on a breeders site and found an Approximate price range I would know right away weather to continue researching or start again looking at other breeds.

Why is wanting to know if you can justify the expense before wasting your and the breeders time discussing other breed issues a bad thing? I chatted to a breeder for an hour about her dogs, too scared to ask the taboo 'How much'. It was a complete waste of her time cause her dogs were $2 500 more than I could pay!

It's quite simple, most breeders don't want other breeders to know what they are charging for their pups.

That is simple.

That is true.

Are you serious? I have been searching for a pup, no need to mention the breed here. Prices rang from $800-$3500 this depends on the breeder, quality, colour and lines. Ethical breeders are not in it for the money, they will take a loss and its even worse if the bitch has to have a C section and only one pup survives. No profit there is there. A Ethical breeder with all relevant tests to sire and dam may sell a better quality pup for $1000 than a breeder in it for the money for $2500 with only grandparents tested. This is the same as stud fees. When I rang about a pup last week, the lady started taking to me about stud fees, she said she charges $400 for her untitled dog for stud, I have seen less quality advertised for $2500 and people are paying this!!!! I have also noticed on certian sites that they will advise litters with $1000 difference in price with pups because the colours are apparently worth more!

The original question answered, it comes down to the ethics of the breeder not wanting to place a 'add to cart button' on their website! :welcome:

Because if the first question they ask is "How much?" they aren't getting a puppy.

Why not?

I spent ages researching a particular breed, thinking it was the one I wanted, imagining one being part of my life, finding out all I needed to know to give a pup a fantastic life. No mention of prices anywhere but the first conversation I had with a breeder knocked that idea right out of the ballpark for me.

Had I known what price range I was looking at up front, I wouldn't have wasted so much time and emotional energy.

If the first thing I find out is the price, at least it puts it in the Yay or Nay category for me.

Thats a bit sad to think that if I asked for a price range for a pup in the first emails/telephone conversations Id be knocked back by some breeders. Im researching a new breed Ive never considered before and have no idea how much they are worth its something that I wish to find out as a first off type thing before I go spending time and energy on finding a breeder and developing a relationship in order to get a pup.