Where Does Your Dog/s Ride In The Car ?

our boy used to be on the back seat, but kept coming up for "peek-a-boo" too often and we decided he was big enough to graduate to the back. He's behind a cargo barrier in the wagon, harnessed and secured to a point in the floor. He loves watching out the back window! sure it may scare a few motorists...

My recommendation would always secure your dog - don't want any nasty injuries...

our boy used to be on the back seat, but kept coming up for "peek-a-boo" too often and we decided he was big enough to graduate to the back. He's behind a cargo barrier in the wagon, harnessed and secured to a point in the floor. He loves watching out the back window! sure it may scare a few motorists...

My recommendation would always secure your dog - don't want any nasty injuries...

I think this will be our best bet, just need to check it out in new car.

I used to work with an accident inspector and learnt a few important things. A big injury causer in crashes is the projectiles inside cars. ALWAYS secure pets, people and possessions. And don't let passengers sleep with their seats reclined - on impact the seat belt doesn't work the same as when a seat is in the upright position and sleepng passengers can slip out of the seat and seat belt and become projectiles. The worst I saw was a chain saw sitting in the back seat with a young girl, short car trip, car rolled several times - I'll let you can imagine what the chain saw did to her. I always keep that one in mind when I am tempted to put anything untethered in my car. So any of you with crates please also think about making them secure - you can't control what other eejits are doing on our roads but you can control your own safety inside.

Having said all that, I just bought a new wagon and pick it up this wednesday and I decided not to get the cargo barrier installed because they are a job to remove if you want to use the whole cargo area, and I would use the whole thing, not just the boot area, more often than I have the dogs in the car. I'm hoping I have made the right decision now? Eek! My dogs have always been secured into the seat belts on the back seat so I was going to continue with what works. I was going to make my own fur cover for the backseats with slit for where the belts click in. I dread to think about the outside duco though - do I wrap the entire car in bubble wrap before and everytime the dogs approach it????

I have the back seats down so the whole of the back of the car is a doggy area.

I have tried using the back seat only and the cargo only and keeping the dog hair to a specific area but when you turn on the aircon and have dog hair blowing out of the vents, well, I give up! :rofl:

I only have to open my windows and it becomes a hair storm in my car :eek:

Mine have the same setup as GR, back seats down most of the time. I also have leads tied through the child carrier restraint thingies in the back that clip onto harnesses (I really should start using those harnessess again). These work if the seats are down or up.

Amen to that my car is hair storm all the time with the windows down. I think that is what holds my car together the fur woven into to fabric.

;) :rofl::eek::):):)

We have a Holden Station Wagon -Acclaim.

Our dogs travel in crates on the back seat folded down. Under the crates is a picnic rug so when the

dogs jump into the crates they don't put thier dirty paws on the seat.

Still we have dog hair everywhere.

We couldn't have them loose behind the cargo barrier as they would all jump out at the same time when the door is opened

and we put all our gear behind the barrier any way.

BB

Two behind the cargo barrier in the back and one secured on the back seat.

That's the same barrier I bought for my X-trail. It took Dusty just a few short weeks to work our how to stick her muzzle between the cross bars and the window and push the bars enough to get her head, her shoulders and then her whole body through and over into the front seat where she'd take up the co-pilots position.

Bloody dog, once she figured it out there was no keeping her in the back!

I have a cargo barrier but the dogs are in a crate in the boot area. If my female holds her breathe and sucks her gut in, she can just squeeze through the cargo barrier. hence the crate. I had them tethered in the boot behind the cargo barrier once and nearly crashed the car when Stella decided to squash herself through the gap at the side of the cargo barrier............of course she got stuck and looked very strange. Now its crate every single time.

I thought of behind a cargo barrier but went back seat out and crate (metal) secured more up to the middle of the car.

So when I stop I can get stuff organised in the back area and clip the dogs on leads befor ethey jump out of the car. Of couse they have to wait for a release word to get out of teh crate too.

As I did have a 4WD before I was concerned if rear-ended that a bigger vechicle could squash the dogs if they were behing a cargo barrier.

Dakota travels in the back of my station wagon, behind a cargo barrier.

She wears a harness and is clipped via a short lead to the middle of the barrier, she can move enough to choose whether to lie, sit or stand.

I like the sound of the rear cargo barrier some posters have mentioned, for security when stationary I guess, but what kind of access do they have? Do you have to completely remove it to access the dog, or is there a gate/door of some kind?

Our Staffy goes either on the back seat or in the back of the Dualis, the middle seat belt comes down from the roof so we can attach her harness attachement to the seatbelt and strap her in that way! :D

I was concerned if rear-ended that a bigger vechicle could squash the dogs if they were behing a cargo barrier.

I have to admit, a concern of this immediately popped into my head when I saw a man taking his two dogs out of the car at the dog park when I was walking past.

He had two labs in the boot area of a hyundai getz! Also strapped in very strangely, like he was pulling the seatbelts over from the backseat

This is also what car I drive, and I was totally shocked that he would even think of putting dogs in there. If someone ran up the back of you, even gently, the boot area is tiny! The poor puppies could be seriously injured very easily! :)

I always put my two in crates which are strapped into the backseat for this reason. I guess it may be different if you drive a bigger car with a much larger boot area, but this guy just had me shaking my head, wondering what, if anything, he was thinking.

Do you mean when OH is with me or when I am alone with the doggies??? LOL

If I am being sternly watched the dogs travel in crates.

If I am blissfully free from supervision they travel in the back seat in their harnesees

My guys go in the back of the wagon, on short trips they are free behind the cargo barrier, on long trips they are in crates. My little Frenchie sit on the console between the front seats.

Leanne