I Always Thought My Dogs Understood Everything I Said To Them...

Norskgra

...but this morning really surprised me. I was doing poo patrol and had completed the backyard and just finished the front. I went around the back where Shadow was and asked him if he had done a poo while I looked around trying to find it. He came up behind me and gently jumped up with his back paws on my back. He started pushing me and pushed me directly to where his poo was. :) I couldn't believe it. He is a very smart boy but I didn't know he was that smart.

Edited by Norskgra

...but this morning really surprised me. I was doing poo patrol and had completed the backyard and just finished the front. I went around the back where Shadow was and asked him if he had done a poo while I looked around trying to find it. He came up behind me and gently jumped up with his back paws on my back. He started pushing me and pushed me directly to where his poo was. :) I couldn't believe it. He is a very smart boy but I didn't know he was that smart.

Lucky he didnt push you in it :)

How cute!

I'm constantly talking to Zeus. One day I was looking for his favourite toy and asked him where "Mr Duck" was. Next thing I know he disappeared from my side and was sitting next to Mr Duck under the pool table.

I *think* he also understands names - when I call by boyfriend's or my siblings' names, Zeus will look directly at them. Might be a coincidence though.

I think I've shared a situation here of a dog understanding something.

Old Dolly was sitting in the back of the car and Mr Ellz put a tray of lamb chops in the back with her (yes....not exactly smart on his part but there you go...it was a "boy thing"... :rofl:). As he put the chops in, he said to her "there you go Dolly, have a chop!"

We arrived home and opened the back and yes, Dolly had been in the chops BUT....there was only ONE chop missing. Mr Ellz had said have A lamb chop and have A lamb chop she did!! :rofl:

I was out looking for the cat one night and couldn't find him, so I looked down at Bella and said "Where's your brother? Go find your brother"......and she did! She ran up in the garden, sniffed around under a couple of bushes and flushed the cat out!

I was out looking for the cat one night and couldn't find him, so I looked down at Bella and said "Where's your brother? Go find your brother"......and she did! She ran up in the garden, sniffed around under a couple of bushes and flushed the cat out!

CK knows 'where's your cat'? He is an excellent cat herder. Only problem is he also knows that cats don't belong outside the house - applies doubly to any cat we come across on our walks..... :rofl:

:thumbsup:

Yep - Kaisie will help round up any animal we need - including the cats.

Our Black and white cat used to run DH in circles every night - until I suggested he ask Kaisie to help. It only took a few nigths for pussy to get the idea. ;)

Any day we are going out, Kaisie knows and lines up at the door wating to go out of the house. She just KNOWS when we are leaving - not a word has to be said.

Although one day she stayed quietly on her mat - and we forgot to put her out. It was all quiet until the Jehovah's Witmesses knocked on the door, she got up and let loose and set off the burglar alarm at the same time. We still laugh with the neighbours ove that one. And the JWs know better than to knock on our door. :o

WE have to talk in code or spell things here :o they know too many darn words ;)

Yep, my father has to tell my mother that he's L-E-A-V-I-N-G to K-L-A-W to the C-L-U-B soon or his lot go berserk! :thumbsup:

Edited by ellz

My boy Cavalier, Bronson is good at recognising words too. My little blk/tan Cav girl, Dana is deaf and when she goes outside to wander around the backyard at night I can't see her and she can't hear me call her. If I can't find her I tell Bronson to find her. He's onto it right away and comes back inside with her tagging along.

My son's Rottweiler recognises every toy she has by name. He tells her to get a particular toy and sure enough she comes back with the right one. I thought my younger Rott was pretty smart but this girl of my son's seems to understand every word he says to her.

Yes Raspa is also very good at knowing what we are saying, she knows din dins, up on daddy's chair, where's the birdies and you most definitely have to spell out drive otherwise she goes beserk.

And some people reckon that dogs are dumb, ha not in this household that is for sure. :rolleyes:

Ours know bed. The minute you say the word they rush up the hall way and sit outside the door. :D

Our 2 tibbie girls know 'Toilet, ladies!'.

Visitors fall about laughing at the Last Trip to the Toot routine late an night.

The 2 tibs will be sound asleep snoring & all we have to say is 'Toilet, ladies!'. They come to life in a flash & race out to the back garden to do their toilet stuff. Then race back in again, fling themselves on their beds & snore off as if nothing has happened.

WE have to talk in code or spell things here :cheer: they know too many darn words :)

Yeah, here too :party: Dinner is now "The D Word" or else I get crazy spinning dog dancers down the hallway :D

Lulu knows the "names" for all her toys. The fav being "Shaun the Sheep" who I like to hide around the house and then get her to "Go find Shaun" - good rainy day activity :p

My favourite Jonty one is his blankie. Now that the cooler weather is here, of an evening I'll ask him if he wants his blankie and he'll hop up and do his wiggle bum dance until I put his chilly dog coat/weatherbeater on - it's super cute :):(