I Was Robbed This Afternoon - Dogs Were Home!

megan_

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How horrible for you. You are being very philosophical about it all, but what else can you do I suppose. My greatest fear is that the dogs would be hurt. Mine would all be leaping around either trying for pats and trying to be brave and making little rushes at them. I'd be worried they'd be kicked out of the way. All mine except Tamar are on the wrong side of middle age.

Hopefully the police will be able to do something with the description of the truck.

Good luck with making the house secure.

:cry:

That is terrible, I really feel for you. I am so glad that the dogs are safe

I had my unit broken into twice while I was sleeping (needless to say I moved) they only took mobile phones and a watch, basically stuff laying around.

The only advice I can give you is this, if you start to feel some fear creeping into your life from this event then then please talk to someone who cares for you about how you feel and get all your thoughts about it out and discuss it. I waited far to long and allowed my irrational thoughts to affect me very strongly. I now have a very hard time sleeping when my OH is away and lay awake feeling scared. Having Yuki has eased it a bit, but I think if I had talked to someone right away I might have been able to control it, now the feelings are very hard to overcome because I have stewed on it internally for far to long.

I am very glad that you and your dogs are safe and sound, you are so right, that is absolutely the number one most important thing, everything else can be replaced.

What a horrible thing to happen.........so glad your doggies are ok. It's funny I always have this confidence not becoming a victim of house break in's having 2 GSD's that have the run of the house and back yard with a doggy door, but dogs can act differently when no one is home. My boys are sport trained and could definitely get a commanded bark and hold from them against an intruder perhaps a bite, hopefully enough to scare the intruder away........but what they would do without handler control if I wasn't home is a good question :cry:

Are you in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne (Bayswater, Boronia, Ferntree Gully) by any chance? Sounds like exactly the same MO of the people who robbed me twice when I lived there - just too similar for words......if so, PM me and I'll tell you where they lived .....I had to track them down once and they went to jail then, but they would be out by now...

I live in Murrumbeena, but would love their detaqils. It matches the MO of professionals apparently. In and out in 5 mins. They didn't go through my drawers. They just wanted the things they could easily carry and sell. A very similar thing happened to my boss who lives in the Northern suburbs. Once her insurance paid up, they tried to rob her again. She has an alarm installed by they ripped it right off and disconnected all of her electricity. The difference between us is that she has Cartier and Tiffany jewellery and I don't!

Please pardon all my spelling mistakes...

So sorry you where robbed but so very glad that your little dogs are okay. In my last house I was robbed three weeks after the first robbery and then almost exactly a year later. My kids and I came home while they where in the house on the last robbery but luckily my kids were smarter than me and held me back from going inside, I was just so angry and tired of being their victim. Unfortunatly they got out the back window and gave my bigger dog a very hard blow(probabaly a kick) to the rear leg that left him sore and bruised for a few days. It would have killed my smaller ones. As a single parent the loss of feeling comfortable and safe in our home was a bigger blow than the loss of ours goods and after several more problems with intruders at our widows or in our back yard we decided to sell up and move as I was becoming a nervous wreck.

I hope they catch the creeps who robbed you and that you can feel comfortable in your home again. Its good that you have the support of family members, perhaps someone can stay with you in your home until you feel abit more secure again.

I feel sorry for anyone that has been burgled. I would feel so violated :( The feeling of never being able to feel 100% safe in your own home again must be horrible.

Megan_, I'm glad your dogs are safe and sound. Did you see what that van's number plate was? I hope the police find the scumbags.

Megan I am sorry to hear that you were robbed.

I am relieved that your furkids were not harmed in the process though and I know that would be all that I would be worried about too.

We have had two break ins in my street this year, within a couple of days of each other.

One of the break ins the creeps came prepared with a truck and cleaned the poor homeowners out. :(

A friend of mine also got done over and they grabbed her bag with the house and car keys. The scumbags came back later that night and went for her car, thankfully they were home at the time and her hubby scared them off.

You must feel very violated. Hopefully the cops catch these creeps!

Hopefully you will be feel safe once again ASAP.

Not nice at all! I'm very glad that you and the dogs are ok though.

When I read your OP and you started talking about the moment you noticed you had no TV and ran outside with pups thinking that perhaps the perpetrators were still inside your house gave me goosebumps and that sick stomach feeling.

Nothing compared to what you were feeling as it happened!

The neighbours didn't hear the dogs bark (which is odd because they are very loud, even the police commented on this!). I wonder if they were dog people and manged to charm my two? Either way, I'm just glad that they're safe and my dogs didn't try to protect their house too much.

The people 2 doors down were robbed while they were out one day. They found their big dog, Jack, sleeping off a huge meal & locked in the garden shed.

The thieves had emptied the fridge of anything good to eat & given it to Jack to keep him happy. He burped for days afterwards.

I'm so pleased your dogs were safe, too.

They are mini schnauzers (Fergs is a cross) and are very territorial. Many people have commentede on what great little guard dogs they are. I think, however, that they put up more front when I'm at home. The dog walker has commented before that Lucy will bark and tehn run away if I'm not at home.

A watch dog and a guard dog are not the same thing.

Even many 'guard' dog breeds are simply watch dogs and would fail a proper temprament test unless from working lines (or show lines with some working history).

Barking is one thing, acting on the warning is another. I have a friend who has a GSD bitch, she will bark like mad and growl, but one 'How are ya sweety? Aren't you beautiful?" and she will lick you to death! haha.

Good to hear your dogs are okay. :p

you are right DR - they are watchdogs and not guard dogs. I am thankful for that because one kick would send an MS flying!

Bizzare update:

They came in through the back door and took the key with them. They left the door wide open. I closed the door when I left last night to go to my cousins (same time as the police). I couldn't lock the door because they had taken the key.

This morning CIB came to take pics etc - the back door is locked again! It has been double locked with the key - the cops couldn't open the door.

Surely thieves don't come back to lock up after themselves?

What else could have happened??

I am so sorry this happend and glad that both you and your dogs are well and safe.

I would definatley invest in an alarm if you can

my motto is make it difficult for them

best of luck

snowball

did you check to make sure they hadn't taken anything a second time-jewellery? even if it sin't cartier-they might not know the difference!

however, it is weird and disconcerting nonetheless!

nothing taht I can see - laptop is still here.

You don't know someone else with the key - landlord perhaps? Or previous occupants?

Is very creepy that this could happen.

Have you looked around under door mats or flower pots or rocks, whatever, for key hiding places?

I'm thinking if I was thieves - I might have stashed the key some where new at your place so it can't be used as evidence against them if they're caught/searched.

I'd be securing the door from the inside and going out some other way until the locks are changed. And I always change the locks when I get a new place. Is even easy to do with a bit of hardware from the local shop. One bolt lock on the inside with no key would make it hard for them to use the door key to get in.

Thank goodness the dogs are fine. I would have died if my dog bolted out...at least those scumbags had the decency to keep the dogs "safe". It is really horrible to feel unsafe in one's own home... :)