Of All The Cheaper Dry Dogfoods Which Is The Best?

Get a sample of the Uncle Albers/Great Barko first and give it a try before shelling out for a whole bag.

We bought a whole bag and none of our 6 would touch it - it's quite different to your average kibble. No harm done as we just donated it to rescue but if you're on a tight budget you might not want to waste a whole bag of it. If your dogs will eat it, I've heard a lot of good things about how well they do on it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried Great Barko after hearing great things about it, and while the dogs loved it, their poos were HUGE and plentiful and sloppy, yuck!

Mine get mainly raw anyway but I do like to have something on hand in case of emergencies. So it was back to Bonnie for us.

My sister's two Staffords get Supercoat and they look great!

We dont sell dog food through work (except for prescription stuff and it's not on 'display') But most of the vets and nurses do a bulk order for themselves to get supercoat, they're all really happy with it, all have happy healthy shiney dogs.... and I like seeing the Samoyed puppy on the puppy packets!

We dont sell dog food through work (except for prescription stuff and it's not on 'display') But most of the vets and nurses do a bulk order for themselves to get supercoat, they're all really happy with it, all have happy healthy shiney dogs.... and I like seeing the Samoyed puppy on the puppy packets!

Really?!!

We see so many skin issues related to that brand that I am pretty much happy to wager $50 on that being the answer to the "what food" question, when a 'skin' dog walks in the door- and on nurses wages that's saying something!! :laugh:

Yep, S'n'T thats what I found with Supercoat but I thought it was just my big boy.

Time of year & Malaseb are also factors in controlling his condition!

However his poos on Supercoat aren't like landmines which is always a plus!!

Edited by STITCH

I've found optimum to be good..I tried supercoat but it didn't agree with the gsd.. but on all these foods I'd be feeding him 5 cups daily (plus his wet meal in evening) to keep the weight on!

If you want cheap/good dry food in Perth SOR try Advanced Pet Care in Naval Base. Their own brand is excellent, though the biscuits are too big for many small dogs . . . and they sell a 'mill ends' mixed biscuit bag for less than $20 for a 20 kg bag. They do custom formulations and most of it goes overseas. I think they make Natural Balance.

I feed Uncle Albers ($27 / 22kg) and I find it to be very good. Nice shiny coats and lot less poos.

Does anyone know if this is available in WA?

I feed Coprice and like it. It's about $30 for 20kg. Mine usually have the working dog formula as the higher fat level agrees with them. But I usually feed raw bones and sometimes mince as well.

Mine also won't eat Great Barko - and they're not usually fussy! I've used Supercoat with good results, except for enormous squishy poos all the time... :) Add more bones and that improves though.

My 3 blue heelers thrive on supercoat, raw added to it daily and are thriving. The vet has commented on their health and shiny coats. My last blue heeler (RIP) died at age 14 and was fed pal meaty bites, raw occasionally and he thrived too.

To me, the best diet is the one your dog does best on.

My 3 blue heelers thrive on supercoat, raw added to it daily and are thriving. The vet has commented on their health and shiny coats. My last blue heeler (RIP) died at age 14 and was fed pal meaty bites, raw occasionally and he thrived too.

To me, the best diet is the one your dog does best on.

I agree

Based on ingredients and appropaite levels

Optimum/Proplan/Yoghurt plus are in 1st place

Purina One, Supercoat is in 2ns place

3rd place VIP pet foods

4th is Pedigree, Luckydog

5th is Homebrand/smartbye,woolworths

• 2 weeks later...

Is Great Barko the same as Uncle Albers? Or a different brand? We have a sample pack of Great Barko here and Ruby LOVES it. I have heard good things about UA.

Re supercoat and skin issues, Poppy had terrible skin on supercoat, changed her to Pro Plan Adult and the skin improved alot, changed to sensitive skin and stomach and she's doing really well. Occasionally has flare ups but not the constant issues like previously on SC. Of course it could well be due to other environmental causes too.

I've always given my dog supercoat, Starting from Puppy>Junior and now adult. And I am constantly complimented how healthy and how beautiful her coat is. She has/is growing well on it :cheer:

Thanks for that! :cheer: Will try and find someone who stocks UA or will get it in for us and give it a try.

Lyndsay, "Bucket o Beef" stock Uncle Albers 22kg for $28 delivered to your door, although not sure where you live so not sure about their delivery policy, so you could give them a ring. Alternatively you can pop into their shop which is at St Mary's (Just off of South Rd)

Thank you! I'm in Birdwood so I doubt they would deliver up here but I am going to contact a few local fodder places and see if they do it, if not Bucket o Beef it will be. :sleep: Thanks!

I've always given my dog supercoat, Starting from Puppy>Junior and now adult. And I am constantly complimented how healthy and how beautiful her coat is. She has/is growing well on it :D

I've been feeding my puppy Supercoat Puppy and she's been thriving. She was fed chicken carcasses as a baby, and when we got her her coat was very coarse. We started her on the Supercoat and now her coat is soft and fluffy and her dandruff has lessened considerably. The vet was very happy with the improvement.