Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

I did make me wonder how many 'strays' are dropped off to the vet by their family who dont want to surrender the dog themselves.....

It happens a lot - strays don't attract a surrender fee...

I was at my local pound one day when a couple brought in a "stray" with a huge mammary tumour - once they'd signed the paperwork for dropping off the "stray", they asked if they would be allowed to adopt it from the pound if it's "owners didn't come get it" - the pound staff said no problems if they wanted to adopt the dog once it had served it's impound time... then the people said "so that thing on her belly will be removed before she's allowed to be adopted, right?", and the pound staff said "no, that will cost you extra"... funnily enough no-one heard from them again.

Interesting note about that dog - she was the shyest thing with strangers, but had snuggled quite happily in the arms of the person who brought her in. We strongly suspect that they were the actual owners and were looking for a cheap way to get the mammary tumour seen to. Upside was that Millie was taken by rescue, had her surgeries for the tumour and desexing (separately)... and is now living the life of a totally spoiled princess in Townsville... *grin*

T.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did make me wonder how many 'strays' are dropped off to the vet by their family who dont want to surrender the dog themselves.....

It happens a lot - strays don't attract a surrender fee...

I was at my local pound one day when a couple brought in a "stray" with a huge mammary tumour - once they'd signed the paperwork for dropping off the "stray", they asked if they would be allowed to adopt it from the pound if it's "owners didn't come get it" - the pound staff said no problems if they wanted to adopt the dog once it had served it's impound time... then the people said "so that thing on her belly will be removed before she's allowed to be adopted, right?", and the pound staff said "no, that will cost you extra"... funnily enough no-one heard from them again.

Interesting note about that dog - she was the shyest thing with strangers, but had snuggled quite happily in the arms of the person who brought her in. We strongly suspect that they were the actual owners and were looking for a cheap way to get the mammary tumour seen to. Upside was that Millie was taken by rescue, had her surgeries for the tumour and desexing (separately)... and is now living the life of a totally spoiled princess in Townsville... *grin*

T.

As many have said before - Sometimes the best things that could happen to these lovely animals is to be rehomed so they can find a loving family. Just like this :)

Defence force housing is pet friendly, my son is in the army and he has two dogs. Wherever he moves to, the dogs move too. He was stationed in Afghanistan last year, his girlfriend looked after the dogs while he was away.

He's moving from Brisbane to Canberra in a few weeks, so are the dogs.

Hence I never understood the thread where a soldier had to give up his dog when he was posted overseas.

Ehem, like my ex neighbours... They had a Rottie. They stuck it in the back yard and ignored it. One day I had a knock on the door from a guy from the council. The neighbours had called and reported they found a stray dog and shut it up in their back yard, can someone take it to the pound. They weren't home when he came around so he came over to ask me about it. I looked over the fence, "no, that's their dog" He left without taking her. A week later the dog was gone, a week after that they got a new puppy, a staffy cross. Because, "The old dog destroyed the yard"

Ehem, like my ex neighbours... They had a Rottie. They stuck it in the back yard and ignored it. One day I had a knock on the door from a guy from the council. The neighbours had called and reported they found a stray dog and shut it up in their back yard, can someone take it to the pound. They weren't home when he came around so he came over to ask me about it. I looked over the fence, "no, that's their dog" He left without taking her. A week later the dog was gone, a week after that they got a new puppy, a staffy cross. Because, "The old dog destroyed the yard"

What lowlife wankers :mad

I also believe a dog is for life and I could never ever imagine parting with my puppy. . . .

Rehoming is a bit like divorce. Sometimes it doesn't work out and all are better off if the sides part.

I agree with the sentiment, but where the dog is happier in the new home than the old, I think rehoming is good. Sure, some people should never have gotten a dog in the first place. But you can't turn the clock back. We all need to be grateful to shelters, foster homes, Gumtree, breed rescue orgs, and all the other institutions that help with difficult transitions for dogs who ended up with the wrong family. And breeders need to be careful in screening puppy buyers.

I find this thread so sad:(. Especially in regards to dumping older pets for pathetic reasons like a new puppy! I looove the oldies. I love the panda eyes, that aura that they have been here before. They are over the craziness of puppyhood and they make the most faithful companions. It's probably my favourite time in my dogs life, when you have been through so much together and you know eachother inside out. When you know that your days together no longer feel infinite and you treasure them every day. I wouldn't give that up for anything. Go the oldies!!

+1 :-)

Guest lavendergirl

I also believe a dog is for life and I could never ever imagine parting with my puppy. . . .

Rehoming is a bit like divorce. Sometimes it doesn't work out and all are better off if the sides part.

I agree with the sentiment, but where the dog is happier in the new home than the old, I think rehoming is good. Sure, some people should never have gotten a dog in the first place. But you can't turn the clock back. We all need to be grateful to shelters, foster homes, Gumtree, breed rescue orgs, and all the other institutions that help with difficult transitions for dogs who ended up with the wrong family. And breeders need to be careful in screening puppy buyers.

I agree. People who say that dogs are for life and you should only get one if you can guarantee 100% to look after it for life are a bit naive or at best don't have much life experience. Sure most people have that thought in mind when they get a dog but life is unpredictable and dogs have to be rehomed sometimes for the genuine benefit of all concerned. This does not include because the dog is old and doesn't want to play with the kids which I think is the most disgusting excuse I have seen. The issue is how the rehoming is handled. It is the owners responsibility to find a suitable home for the dog and not just "dump" it in a shelter or pound.

I agree. People who say that dogs are for life and you should only get one if you can guarantee 100% to look after it for life are a bit naive or at best don't have much life experience. Sure most people have that thought in mind when they get a dog but life is unpredictable and dogs have to be rehomed sometimes for the genuine benefit of all concerned. This does not include because the dog is old and doesn't want to play with the kids which I think is the most disgusting excuse I have seen. The issue is how the rehoming is handled. It is the owners responsibility to find a suitable home for the dog and not just "dump" it in a shelter or pound.

Of course there are genuine unforseen reasons to rehome but this thread is about the lot of people out there who don't try their very hardest to make it work and just rehome for pitiful reasons. The people who don't like their dog because they're not cute anymore or the people who say 'oh the kids wont feed it'. As I've said previously, and others have aswell - sometimes rehoming is the best thing for the dog.

We've moved country when I was a kid and our dog came with us. It cost more than my airfare apparently but he was a part of the family and we weren't leaving him behind.

Of course there are genuine unforseen reasons to rehome but this thread is about the lot of people out there who don't try their very hardest to make it work and just rehome for pitiful reasons. The people who don't like their dog because they're not cute anymore or the people who say 'oh the kids wont feed it'. As I've said previously, and others have aswell - sometimes rehoming is the best thing for the dog.

We've moved country when I was a kid and our dog came with us. It cost more than my airfare apparently but he was a part of the family and we weren't leaving him behind.

My sister's moved country three times in the past few years. Her cats have gone with her each time. They have more frequent flyer points than most people.

Defence force housing is pet friendly, my son is in the army and he has two dogs. Wherever he moves to, the dogs move too. He was stationed in Afghanistan last year, his girlfriend looked after the dogs while he was away.

He's moving from Brisbane to Canberra in a few weeks, so are the dogs.

Hence I never understood the thread where a soldier had to give up his dog when he was posted overseas.

As mentioned earlier I've seen it happen - the people I knew were being transferred overseas as a couple (to the USA actually) and the accomodation that was provided for them does not allow dogs. Yes it happens very rarely that defence families can't take their dogs to their new digs but it does happen sometimes, particularly when they're going into private rentals which defence have to arrange on occasions when there is no traditional defence homes available. Running a rescue in Albury/Wodonga which has a large army base we saw it occasionally. Running that same rescue where you deal daily with Albury Pound which is also a boarding kennels and the local branch of Dogtainers I saw many, many defence animals (of ALL kinds) being moved around the country. We also had defence families as foster carers which is another reason why I know that there are occasionally genuine reasons that families can't take their dogs with them.

woman on phone trying to rehome rabbit:

"my 1 year old son poked his finger through the wire of it's cage and it BIT HIM....I want it gone NOW RIGHT NOW!!!!"

:rolleyes: What a horrible savage rabbit...

At the shelter I used to work at we took in everything. Lots of stray birds as they can be so sneaky at diving out of a cage and going for a fly - ending up lost and lonely they find a person to help.

One little Cockatiel was brought in with the story "He flew into our backyard". First of all, they knew it was a male and it was happily sitting on their hand... Secondly, his wing was clipped so brutally short he had all the flying ability of a rock. :mad

I pretty much knew he was theirs and they were avoiding a surrender fee and questions. But little birdie came first so did his time as a stray. Surprise surprise no-one came looking for him.

Their loss really, I adopted him and he is still our adored family pet years later. :nahnah:

About rehoming, I agree with what many said above. Most people have the best of intentions, but sometimes circumstances change and it is the best option for the dog.

A friend of mine had to reluctantly rehome their dog, but I think they did a great job of it. Their family situation changed, they weren't coping and the dog just wasn't getting what it needed socially and exercise wise. They tried hard to make it work, but it just wasn't. So they chatted with me about what to do, i recommended speaking to some breed rescues to get help, which they did. They kept the dog while trying to find it a new home. It was taken and returned by 1 family (the old owners specified the dog was to be returned to them if it wasn't working and they would continue to try and find a home for it). Another person came to meet him, and ended up taking him. He now lives the high life and is doted over and goes for runs on the beach every day! I was really proud of my friends for being able to recognize they couldn't give their dog what it needed and put its needs ahead of their wants (they didn't want to give him away).

But like others said it's about how it's done.

I really hope I'm never in the situation as it breaks my heart just to even contemplate that someone else would have to care for my dog. Mind you I have several back up plans should I not be in a situation to care for her. I'll be doing everything I can to try and make sure I never need to resort to them!!!

It's just awful when the reasons aren't genuine though. And I really can't stand it when people surrender them as strays rather than just being honest about it. My philosophy is - I'd rather hear a bad truth than a good lie.

Rehoming and dumping at a shelter or pound are two very different scenarios.

Responsible owners find the right home to place a dog in if they cannot keep it or return it to the breeder and breeders often run on several youngsters with the idea of rehoming all but one or two later. This gives them more choices to breed better dogs and means those that don't make the grade go to pet homes where they will get more one on one attention. Others will breed a litter or two from them before rehoming a dog that is sound but doesn't like to show. I have no problem with this if the dogs are relatively young, say 4 or 5 at the most. I have utter contempt though for anyone rehoming older dogs they no longer need, just to get them out of the way. Rehoming say an 8 year old bitch that has had 5 litters. or an old stud dog because they bought a young one, is disgusting. Surely they have earnt their retirement.

I also know of one dog that was returned to his breeder 3 times because every time she rehomed him the owners divorced. He was well known in the breed as the "divorce dog". Another breeder bravely took him on as the 4th owner and her marriage out survived the dog.

Sometimes life doesn't pan out and people genuinely are stuck due to illness or severe financial hardship and have to suddenly surrender dogs but the majority that surrender dogs to shelters and pounds just don't give a toss about anything.

When I worked for a shelter taking in the surrenders the most common reasons were - moving house, going on holidays, having a baby and by far the most common reason - we don't want the dog any more. No more explanation than that. If I told them we were full and the dog would most likely be pts that day they would shrug their shoulders, pay the small surrender fee and walk out without a backwards glance. I often used to wonder if they would do the same with their kids if their where shelters that would take them, no questions asked.

The most bizarre reason though has to be one that was brought into a vet I used to use to be pts. It was a gorgeous, healthy, friendly, well trained, 2 year old Rottie who had developed a few white spots in his coat where the pigement had faded. The idiot owners didn't want him anymore because he no longer looked like a Rottie. The vet pursuaded them to surrender him instead, then found him a home.

Edited by dancinbcs

My Little sheltie who stayed with my parents due to his age and not coping with another move poor boy will be 12 soon and is going deaf as. God he had a great story to go with him when we found him in the shelter, first they told us he had already been PTS even though 5 minutes prior we had been playing with him at his pen Door. when asked about why he was here we got

"oh he's an escape artist" when asked what sort of fences did they have "oh a barb wire fence" well that aint gonna keep much in. we were also told he was terrible horrible dont ever leave him with a child. I have so many people vouch he is the only dog you could trust with a child friends had their little 12 month old who had discovered her feet and used to wander away from the group when we were at the park just across the oval where we could still see her and of course off went jock with her and no one worried cos if anyone he didnt know came too close he'd sit there and bark until someone came and got the toddler. Most placid and loving dog I have ever owned

Rehoming and dumping at a shelter or pound are two very different scenarios.

Responsible owners find the right home to place a dog in if they cannot keep it or return it to the breeder and breeders often run on several youngsters with the idea of rehoming all but one or two later. This gives them more choices to breed better dogs and means those that don't make the grade go to pet homes where they will get more one on one attention. Others will breed a litter or two from them before rehoming a dog that is sound but doesn't like to show. I have no problem with this if the dogs are relatively young, say 4 or 5 at the most. I have utter contempt though for anyone rehoming older dogs they no longer need, just to get them out of the way. Rehoming say an 8 year old bitch that has had 5 litters. or an old stud dog because they bought a young one, is disgusting. Surely they have earnt their retirement.

I think it's hard to have blanket statements about rehoming. Reasons and wide and varied, some good some not. What do you say to the breeder rehoming a 10 year old stud dog because of his business?

When I worked for a shelter taking in the surrenders the most common reasons were - moving house, going on holidays, having a baby and by far the most common reason - we don't want the dog any more. No more explanation than that. If I told them we were full and the dog would most likely be pts that day they would shrug their shoulders, pay the small surrender fee and walk out without a backwards glance. I often used to wonder if they would do the same with their kids if their where shelters that would take them, no questions asked.

This is the one thing I will never, ever be able to understand people and the way they think... :cry:

This is the one thing I will never, ever be able to understand people and the way they think... :cry:

Just can't fathem this :-(

I had a large number of Pugs surrendered to my rescue when it was in operation. By far the most common reason was at first offered as "He's not happy and we feel we are neglecting him".

The scenario: Boy meet girl. Boy and girl buy a Pug puppy. Boy and girl marry. Girl has baby. Pug puppy, now adult of a few years, is put outside to live because the baby might get plastered in Pug hair. Pug becomes miserable and boy and girl feel bad. Boy and girl surrender Pug.

The reason was because the baby took precedent over the dog. I assume this scenario was so common in my Pug rescue was because of the amount of hair they shed.