At What Age Is A Dog Considered Senior?

GSDowner

I am doing everything to prolong my GSD's life believing that I am in control. I keep reading stories about dogs who lived until ripe old age of 27 and keep hoping that mine will be such a freak of nature.

I noticed, however, with sadness that my boy is becoming greyer around his muzzle.

When suddenly woken from his sleep he barks as if startled (disoriented?).

I try not to think that he may be getting old (after all he is ONLY 8) but on the other hand

don't want to neglect his needs if they changed.

I would be grateful for your thoughts on this matter.

Edited by GSDowner

IMO, 8 years is what I would call "senior" especially for a large breed dog like a GSD.

I noticed my dog really started to slow down at around 9-10 years of age, so you'll need to watch out for things like difficulty getting up, slower on walks etc.

Sadly sometimes no matter how well cared for a dog is, other health issues that are not preventable will pop up such as arthritis, cancer etc.

Not all dogs can make it till 16-18 years no matter what you do.

It is sad that dogs don't live for longer :eek: I wish they did.

My darling Rotty Sharon has just turned nine. She is full of arthritis and a bit slow but she certainly isn't ready to die yet. Her brain is still very active and she is still as stubborn as ever.

In saying that, my GSD had a stroke and died at 8yrs old and my Rotty boy dropped dead of a heart attack at 6.

All you can do is ensure they are happy and you enjoy time with them while they are here.

My JRT is going to be 9 in November, while I dont consider her to be 'senior' status just yet Im still keeping an eye on her to watch out for behavioural changes etc, she is still very active and very 'switched on' so for now Ill still take her to agility training, Im not expecting to get her to a trialling level but just going to weekly training is keeping her active enough for my liking

Technically, most vets will tell you the following:

Small breeds (up to 10 kg) become seniors at 7

Medium Breeds (10-25kg) become seniors at 7

Large breeds (25-40kg) become seniors at 6

Giant breeds (40kg +) become seniors at 5

Its not a definate line in the sand but a good guide to work off, as there are changes happening that you can just not see. My oldest dog lived to be 20 years and 11 months old, I've got no idea how, you couldn't have killed her with a steamroller. I think if I wasn't from a vet nursing background she would have gone earlier, but I kept her comfortable and happy (and getting her a younger toy-boy to strut around with helped too!!! :rolleyes: )

My Goldie started retrieving at 9.5. He is losing his hearing but is otherwise in excellent shape, and despite 9.5 years of "running in" and playing tug instead of retrieving to hand he started getting the idea very quickly. My GSD turns 9 next month, getting a few white hairs around the muzzle but will still herd a soccer ball for 6 hours at a time. They are all a bit different and things can change fairly quickly but I won't consider them "senior" or treat them as such until they tell me they need me to.

Thanks everyone for their response. It helps to think that every dog is different.

My dog has energy and gets very excited when we have our family over for a visit; he still is cheeky and likes to play.

Hopefully his genetics are good; I also take him yearly for his regular checkups (in addition to visits when needed).

At least I am doing everything in my power to keep him healthy and happy

Edited by GSDowner

My tibetan spaniel, a small breed, is noted for staying looking younger longer. Along with their sturdy constitution, they cope with age well.

My NinaZena had to go to the vet emergency hospital recently, with a bit of rawhide stuck in her gullet. She's going on 11 yrs of age. First, the vet nurse couldn't believe that age, just by looking at her. Then the vet took a range of tests because she was going to have a general anaesthetic. The vet remarked, seeing the results, that they were like those for a dog much younger.

This is why I've had no problem adopting a tibbie age 8 years. Because 'senior' doesn't really kick in until the 'teens'.

2 beautiful p/b tibs aged 14 years were recently adopted, in fine feckle & appearance, after their elderly owners had to go into hospital. Now they'd be 'seniors'....but even then, they were doing fine.

By the way, I have a relative with 2 small poodles where the same applies.

I was reading where research on longevity in dogs has to factor in the differences between small & larger breeds....because the smaller ones tend to age more slowly.

Riley's 9 and a half now, and is largish - 25kg.

You wouldn't guess he was 9 though the way he runs around the yard and plays with other dogs. The vet always laughs saying Riley refuses to get old.

I don't like to think of him as old though. Maybe because it makes me a little sad...

Edited by wagsalot

I've got a 9 & a half year old puppy. He's a senior puppy. :shrug: He's got hip displasia and arthritis and his leg jerks when he lies down but he refuses to stop. I don't make him slow down, I don't stop him from running & jumping and being an idiot. He's going to enjoy what time he has left even if that makes it a bit shorter.

both my dogs are 8.5 yo. Casper (41kg) has epilepsy and has been on drugs since the age of 3. At 8 he had his spleen removed and is now on a special diet after a severe case of pancreatitis.

That said, I don't think he's ever been in better shape. We run 6km a couple of days a week and both dogs do better than we do. Being white, you wouldn't notice his hair greying but Bella who's always had a little bit of white now has a little more. Apart from that, you wouldn't know her age!

I've always been worried about HD and arthritis, especially since they are both from dubious parentage. I've been giving them glucosamine/fish oil tablets in their supper for years now.

Ive got a gsd who will be 13 in October,my third one to reach that age. She had her spleen removed 4 years ago and she had a course of cartrophen in March. Apart from that she,s never been sick, she still walks twice a day but not as far.

Each night she jumps around having a puppy play for a few minutes, it looks rather ridicules actually as she never did it when she was a puppy. :shrug:

The ANKC have two(2) Veterans Class's for conformation shows.

One class starts at 7 years and under 10 years and the other 10 years and over.

So according to the ANKC our dogs are classed as Veterans at 7 years and older.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I would say that he is a senior, as he's a large breed.

My friend has a GSD and he's still healthy at the ripe age of 14.

I'm sure that if you continue what you are doing to keep him healthy then you will have many more fun-filled years with him. :laugh:

In Tenterfields it's not uncommon for them to reach 15 years of age, I would consider them 'senior' over 10 years. Mine is grey around the muzzle already and he is 3 :laugh:

I hope you get many more good days with your boy :)

good luck with your boy, the disorientation is a bit concerning - might be good to ask a vet to check his hearing/eyes

my shep is 8 and still very much a pup - he is greying around the muzzle, but he had grey there at 18months :cry:

He still carries on like an idiot - no drama with his joints and is still very sprightly - gets up straight away when asked, jumps on my high bed and over logs etc... but he's led a very comfy life :laugh:

Kaiser has been a senior for the last couple of years.. he was nine in Feb. He has Cartrophen injections now to keep him moving with less pain. Just don't tell him I said he was old, he still thinks he's a puppy.

My two are both 12 (one we're sure about, the other is a rescue but she's at least 11 because we got her as an adult over 10 years ago). Both in good nick, although the bichon is slowing down and his sight and hearing have dropped off a bit. My poodle x is showing no signs of slowing down - she is very fit and active and outruns lots of much younger dogs.

I know people who have had their dogs well into the mid or late teens. I spoke to a woman a few days ago who had a bichon who didn't die until 20yo (although she admitted the last 2 years were problematic and very expensive).

Who knows? I am trying to approach it this way - make them comfortable and keep having a good time but also keep my eyes peeled for anything that needs my attention. We need to take each day as it comes. Every day we have from now on is a bonus - but with the 2 breeds I have it could go for another 5 years quite easily - and I hope it does!

ETA: I did shift them onto senior dog food when they were about 8 years old.

Edited by Zug Zug