Meet The Newest Addition

Kirislin

I am wondering how I will teach her to lay down. Every other dog I've trained has been a puppy small enough for me to physically put them into a position to help them understand, but she is a big lump, not something I can manipulate.

She's learning to climb into the car though and is catching on to the command UP and WAIT. I think she's a clever girl, we'll get there.

try saying lay down just as she does it. Or when you find a food she really like use a clicker. Greyhounds from kennels aren't exactly used to thinking for themselves.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try saying lay down just as she does it. Or when you find a food she really like use a clicker. Greyhounds from kennels aren't exactly used to thinking for themselves.

This is what I am doing basically, although when I tried to settle her last night I reverted by habit with mine of saying "Good night" when I was covering her with her blankie. She might have to go with a whole new set of operating instructions that dont use the common commands. :laugh:

She's a darling but she hasn't read the Greyhound hand book that says they're couch potatos, she wants to play! She's only a puppy though, I think she's about 18 months old. I cant help feeling sorry for the racing greys, they must be so bored when they're not racing. I hear some trainers complain about how some trash their bedding and I think to myself, no wonder, they're bored out of their brains.

yeah, he's a bit scared of her and, I think, a bit jealous. She very shyly came into my bedroom today and went to lay on the floor and he immediately lay on the very spot she chose and snapped at her, as if to say, this is my spot.

good on you

hard to fathom that you need to teach grey all these things, hey

not when most of us have dogs that have lived the life that most greys never get a glimpse of

maybe we are imposing too much of ourselves on the greys needs...maybe theyre just fine living in the kennels not knowing the human bond we all expect to grow between dog and Man.. i dont know how i really feel about all of that bit

what i do hate is the needless killing of thousands of these beautiful hounds and the greed of the industry...

i so hope this stripey girl finds the perfect home...

thanks for giving her that chance

Her owner is taking her to Gap next week for assessment. Because she wasn't fully trained to race she will probably be fairly easy to place.

I got her Mum to bring around a crate this evening. After last nights little adventure that had her chewing my vacuum cleaner cord off, no more, she's getting locked up tonight.

Edited by Kirislin

Haha! I have a Greyhound puppy (10 months old) and she is naughty too! I managed to teach her to sit but she won't drop. So I scoop up her legs and lay her on her side! LOL! She is such a dag. :cry:

Bosley had a good day today. I took her into town and met up with a friend and we had a coffee at a cafe. All good experience for her. She's going for her GAP assessment on Wednesday, apparently they introduce her to a small white fluffy dog, wish her luck. I think she will be good but you never know.

BOSLEY THE WICKED!! :laugh:

I was outside with my camera and Bosley trotted into the front yard, out of sight. I expected her to come pelting back as the others usually do so I sat waiting hoping to catch her in flight.

This is not what I was expecting to see! She's raided one of my water gardens and stolen my beautiful (well it was once) long leaved tassel rush plant. She trashed it so now it's in my bathroom for it's own protection.

4712951459_cb04d1824d.jpg

4712951469_4eeb3a0197.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

ah - she's just being a "collector" :rolleyes:

That exactly right, Ebony collects all sorts of funny things and puts them in one of her beds.....gosh Bosely must have been bored out of her brain in kennels and now she is having so much fun, its so good to see her enjoying her new life so much. :cry:

BOSLEY THE WICKED!! :(

I was outside with my camera and Bosley trotted into the front yard, out of sight. I expected her to come pelting back as the others usually do so I sat waiting hoping to catch her in flight.

This is not what I was expecting to see! She's raided one of my water gardens and stolen my beautiful (well it was once) long leaved tassel rush plant. She trashed it so now it's in my bathroom for it's own protection.

4712951459_cb04d1824d.jpg

4712951469_4eeb3a0197.jpg

She must think your place is like an adventure park!!! Lucky girl!