Where To Find The Dog Bowls That Prevent Food Bolting?

Dust Angel

Does anyone know where to find the bowls that assist dogs not to bolt food? Sienna has very recently (in the last few weeks) started bolting her dinner. She is the only one of the four dogs that has started it, nothing in the feeding schedule or regime has changed so we are unsure as to what has caused it.

We have tried various things to prevent this and at the moment we are currently hand feeding her dinner to her so that she cant do it (i know its rarer in GSP's but im still paranoid about bloat and other things associated with bolting food).

We will of course work long term towards extinguishing this behavior - however does anyone know where you can find these type of bowls in Australia? Im not sure what they are called and have only found them in America so far.

I find that placing them in a crate or quiet place for about 1/2 and hour before you feed them helps also. They calm down away from the other dogs and it takes away any competition eating that they may have. Ours always eat alone now, I find its just alot more relaxing for them.

I find that placing them in a crate or quiet place for about 1/2 and hour before you feed them helps also. They calm down away from the other dogs and it takes away any competition eating that they may have. Ours always eat alone now, I find its just alot more relaxing for them.

Good advice - thank you. She is crated for about half an hour prior to dinner and we started feeding her alone as soon as the behavior commenced. It has us stumped, none of our dogs are FA and they have eaten in the same pattern for about a year and a half then out of the blue she started to gulp, cough and choke her dinner down. :laugh:

I am fairly confident i can extinguish this behavior but if i have to be away for a night i want to know she will be safe when someone else feeds her. :o

It's this one (blue medium). I used it once, for about 2 seconds, when I realised how stupid I was in thinking that a flat face dog could eat with a bowl like this :cry:

Oh thank you, that is just such a lovely offer. I would take you up on it but i went ahead and purchased one already. Thank you very much though, DOLers are just so generous. :(

:( I was going to offer a blue medium too!! I got my spinone one, but it's too small for her, so I'll have to get a large :)

HOpe she settles again soon. Having had wolfies, giant schnauzers and other bloat prone breeds, I can completely understand how you feelxxxxxxx

I found also feeding larger biscuits. Ramses is horrible for this, he eats so fast he literally vomits it back up half way through and eats it again!! I got him supercoat large breeds instead of adult and found he was slow enough to not vomit it back up however I couldnt get it last time I was at PB so had to get the normal adult one and back to the same problems!

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

If anyone else wants it, feel free to ask for it. It is just sitting collecting dust so to speak. I can't even donate it to a rescue as I doubt it would be needed. Now promised to someone.

Edited by ~Anne~

Monah i am quite taken with your Spinone :D, every time i see your signature i fall in love all over again!

:laugh: She'd be perfect for you, loves LOVES horses, loves GSPs :eek:

All the spins I know are really wonderful in temperament, just lovely dogs, If only I were allowed a few more................ ;) :laugh:

Monah i am quite taken with your Spinone :(, every time i see your signature i fall in love all over again!

:) She'd be perfect for you, loves LOVES horses, loves GSPs :p

All the spins I know are really wonderful in temperament, just lovely dogs, If only I were allowed a few more................ :D :D

Dont worry chalked up on the list of "one day" breeds :D

when i mind the sighthounds i give them their meals twice a day

separately from each other

and no exercise for half an hour before and as close to two hours after that i canmake it...exercising in winter is hard when you have to fit in disappearing daylight and food/toileting overnight issues

sometimes ill feed them by hand...ie by fork...when i give chicken necks...it is one by one so no scoffing