Please Keep Hudson In Your Thoughts

cassie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be watching your Hudson like a hawke for the next few days!!

Well that's fitting, his nickname is Hudson Hawke :rofl:

Thanks for your story. Way too many people have experienced bloat with their dogs, hate it :shrug:

There is another killer bowel problem

Intussusception - the bowel doesn't twist, it overlaps itself and cuts its own blood supply.

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthCon...ntussusception/

An internet friend on another forum lost a newfie puppy to this. The link lists some causes but her dog had none of the specific problems, just some ongoing problems with runny poo / constipation. If the dog had been sleeping inside with her maybe she could have got it to a vet in time but it was an outside puppy.

I think bloat is a lot more common. And can be just as deadly.

All I can think is if your dog has an obvious guts ache that persists (doesn't go away when she vomits a bit of bone) - off to the vet asap.

Sounds as if he was treated in time and has a good prognosis which is great. Our breed (GSD) is prone to bloat not that I have experienced it with my own dogs "touch wood", but it's a condition in our minds that we are wary of.

Hope everything goes well from here

Good luck and best wishes :shrug:

Cheers

Nev

Steve put up a thread a little while ago, a research thread asking for experiences with GDV/bloat, if someone kind find the link, it had a lot of good info on symptoms/outcomes. (and of course some harrowing details)

Cassie, the stomach tube is passed to decompress the stomach of air and or fluid/solids, it can also help where there is a partial blockage of a spinchter, to disloge a foreign body. (as in a friend's dog with what was assumed to be a chicken neck)

fifi

:shrug: Jeez Cassie. Hugs to you and your gorgeous boys. Looking forward to positive updates in the morning, will be thinking of you.

Sh*t. I just can't believe it's the wonderful Hudson! So not fair. So thankful that your Ex was there Cassie.

Edited by Clyde

Cass, I can't believe I even saw this post, as I too often just keep clicking till the breed page comes up! :shrug:

HUDSON, oh no! :rofl:

Hugs for your little big man, I hope he is soon on the mend.

Bloat sure is a bumma eh?

Hugs for you too, I can well imagine what a scared Mumma you have been today.

Hope he's doing well this morning Cassie.

Forgot to mention last night, we keep on hand De-gas capsules too, you can get them in the supermarket in the panadol/cough syrup isle.

If I suspect someone has a gurgly or not quite right tummy, (but not bloating - we are in the car in seconds !)

I stick three of them down their neck !

hugs,

fifi

Just checking in Cassie. Woke up during the night and started thinking of Hudson, can only imagine how little you slept!

Hopefully today brings much better news.

Good tips Fifi, I haven't heard of the de gas capsules.

:rofl: Oh no poor Hudson. Hope he is feeling better today, poor boy. So lucky your ex knew the signs and got him there quickly. Big hugs Cassie for you and Hudson, your girl must be lost without him. Healing vibes coming your way big guy.

Oh no poor Hudson I hope he's feeling better today as well as yourself.

I remember my OH called me one day and said Boss was acting strange walking around the yard and his belly was grumbling and making really loud sounds I left work and made him rush him to the vets luckily he just had an upset stomach. So I know the worry you are feeling right now. My thoughts are with you two :rofl:

I had a dog bloat a few weeks ago, the dog was tubed and I had a gastropexy done the next day, the dog was desexed at the same time. Anyone who has a breed prone to bloat should learn how to tube their dog and have a measured tube for each dog they own, it only takes a few minutes. If you can't get the tube down the stomach has twisted and you have a life threatening emergency.

My dog ate another dog's food in addition to his own (entirely my fault), but dogs can bloat for no reason at all. Dogs are more prone to bloat if they are older than 5 years, male, thin, have a nervous or fearful temperament or bolt their food, however plenty of dogs bloat that don't fit those criteria. Having a first degree relative who has bloated is a major risk factor. My personal opinion is that any dog who has suffered an episode of bloat should not be bred.