Please Keep Hudson In Your Thoughts

cassie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if they bloat once - are they more prone or likely to get more bloats?

Sometimes they just bloat? How can you prevent that? Yikes.

:shrug: You just do everything you can in the way of prevention and then hope for the best,

like limiting exercise before & very much after meals, serving smaller meals am & pm instead of one large one, raw feeding where possible, keeping an eye on water intake, limiting stressl / overexcitement and especially around meal times.

No, not every dog that bloats will bloat again, it may have just been circumstances today for Huddie.

Hope he continues to improve Cassie.

Its one of the things that I try not to worry about, but one sound from the dogs after dinner and my heart is in my throat.

fifi

What a terrible ordeal for you guys to go through! I hope he is home with you very soon! Why do these things always happen when the vets are closed????

For my interest and maybe others....what are the first signs of bloat?

Damn - my heart sank when reading this title - sending BIG healing vibes to Hudson and big drooly hugs to you

Hope the big boofer is OK - this is one of my biggent paranoid fears since getting a giant breed - your ex OH did very well

ETA - if you need anything you have my number

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

So if they bloat once - are they more prone or likely to get more bloats?

I'm not too sure on this? If he had of got torsion, where the stomach twists, (when it is REALLY dangerous) then it requires surgery and the vet staples something or other to prevent it happening again, or prevent it twisting again anyway. But since he didn't twist he didn't require surgery. I am unsure if he is at a higher risk of bloating again now that he's done it once. Any info welcomed.

Sometimes they just bloat? How can you prevent that? Yikes.

You can't :shrug: There is so much conflicting information out there too about how to prevent bloat, and we do what we think is right, and yet we're still facing it.

Bloat and GDV (gastric torsion) are life threatening, one of those things you don't wait to see how it goes - STRAIGHT to the vet.

the dog my be restless, drooling, trying to vomit, they may develop a distended stomach or their stomach may feel tight like a drum but not swollen. Some may try and drink repeatedly and then throw it back up. Also adding the excessive panting that Cassie mentioned.

Some dogs don't show immediate distress, but you just know they aren't quite themselves.

even if you slightly suspect bloat, phone the vet immediatley.

fifi

Edited by fifi

From what I know some first signs can be :

*Trying to vomit unsuccessfully.

*Whining, drooling, hunching over, generally acting as if uncomfortable or in pain

*When you put your ear to the stomach the absence of any normal digestive sounds like gurgling etc.

*The dog actually looking bloated

I'm sure there are heaps more but these are what I normally keep an eye out for with Mo.

ETA: Snap fifi

Edited by Aussie3

:shrug: You just do everything you can in the way of prevention and then hope for the best,

like limiting exercise before & very much after meals, serving smaller meals am & pm instead of one large one, raw feeding where possible, keeping an eye on water intake, limiting stressl / overexcitement and especially around meal times.

Yep we do all of this. Dogs are fed once in the morning, once at night. Never exercised before or after. Fed raw (although we do have kibble on hand for when we run out, and he was actually fed kibble this morning. However that is not to say that's what did it, plenty of people feed kibble with no issues.)

Cassie, did they tube Hudson ?

Just curious if he deflated after the vomit himself or was there meds or tube ?

fifi

Nurse said they put a tube down into his tummy, yes. I don't know exactly what this does?

The main one is their stomach swelling up very noticeably, and it's very firm. They may also pant excessively and just seem uneasy, not wanting to finish their meal, etc.

It is good he hasn't tortioned, but as Fifi mentioned, bloat even without the tortion can be deadly.

I remember from when my girl had GDV the likelyhood of GDV re-occuring in a dog who doesn't have gasrtoplexy is something like 85%. So if you have a dog opened up to correction a tortion get the gastroplexy done.

You can do everything "right" and still have it occur. Basically you are always on the lookout for any sign.

The first time my girl had GDV She woke me up at 5.30am howling. I got her out of her crate and she looked a bit preoccupied, but wagged her tail. I took her outside incase she needed to go to the toilet. She trotted around for a few minutes, then went to have a drink and it basically fell out of her mouth. Her tummy looked very slightly blaoted, as in she looked like she had had a decent drink. SHe hadn't as she had been crated.

She had a full tortion and no tube could be passed to decompress prior to surgery, so we got in ASAP and her stomach and spleen were tortioned. She did recover and had a gastroplexy. She had two more bloats, once may have been a GDV, but details (from the vet) are a little sketchy as she was boarding at the breeders at the time.

I feel for you Cassie.......my girl was at the vets 3 weeks ago after I found her bloated in the morning. This was her 2nd episode...the first was 3 years ago & that was emergency at 2am. She was unabled to be "tubed" so had to have surgery to decompress the gas & untwist the stomach, which was then secured to her abdominal wall (stapled & stitched), a gastopexy. Her nickname after this procedure was the "gold-plated poodle" :rofl:

I am of the belief that the only reason that the 2nd bloat didn't kill her, as she was not in my room overnite, was the fact that her stomach was unable to twist......but when I found her she was very uncomfortable & blown up. The vet sedated her & passed a tube easily into her stomach which decompressed the gas.

It has taken her a good 2 weeks to recover, but she is also 11years old.

I would be watching your Hudson like a hawke for the next few days!!

Fifi was right on the money with the description of the sypmtoms.

Once experienced....never forgotton.

My other 2 Stds here will be having prophylactic gastopexy's.....even though they have not bloated, nor are they related to my other girl. It just such an awful, horrible condition.

Good Luck....sorry for the waffle :shrug: