Face Kisses!

Nushie

I do have to warn people that Boo is a kisser, I didn't so much fail to teach him not to do it as I failed to teach OH that I was serious about not wanting him to encourage it. Now when OH gets the full treatment and goes to complain I just reply with a very loud "told you so, your fault!" :dancingelephant:

Jarrah is a compulsive face licker, he will bounce up & down in front of you to you head height trying to lick your face & trying to get his tongue in your mouth. :dancingelephant: It's not really a submissive lick, more a "Oh my god, I can't believe it, I'm so excited" lick, he has started doing it in DwD trials (super excited to be out there dancing & just can't control himself I think), so if anyone has any great ideas other than whacking him on the head, or kneeing him as he jumps up (neither of them are a good look in front of the judge :laugh: ) please let me know!

Have you tried the "turn your back & ignore" ? It worked for me with a friend's jumping Staffy, took about 2 weeks though :laugh:

Akira is a licker. She licks everything - the dishwasher, the shower, the walls, the table, the couch... if she's in the bathroom and someone's just gotten out of the shower, she'll lick the water off their legs. And she's a face kisser, which is my OH's fault. The first trick he taught her was "Kiss kiss" so whenever you make kissing noises, she licks your face. It's become such a habit that whenever she's put outside at night in her kennel, she won't settle until she's given both of us a kiss goodnight. :dancingelephant:

My guys smooch - but they do limit it to a a respectful lick or two rather then a lick that leaves me scraping slobber off my face :dancingelephant: Even some of the work dogs do it if they get the chance, but they are also very careful about it - mind you for one of the boys i walk you are more likely to get an accidental headbutt while he's trying to smooch you :laugh:

It's both a submissive and an affiliative behaviour, which is to say it's a way for a dog to say you are an important figure to them and they want to hang with you.

Having said that, some dogs do it more than others. Both my boys are face lickers, but Kivi is particularly all about faces. He loves to sneak a few big licks down your jaw. Erik will lick anywhere. I think it's more of a compulsion with him.

Jane likes to lick but only when she is getting a cuddle. Nothing too full on and I confess that I like it...mind you its never ott and she settles for 3 or 4 licks only.

Gus was apparently a complusive licker at the shelter(he was there for 3 weeks) and used to lick, lick, lick the bars of his pen when people walked pass (poor love) so we never encouraged him to lick when we adopted him. He never really showed this compulsive behaviour once we adopted him BTW.

I have noticed that the 2 dogs will lick each others faces but only after one of them has got accidently hurt during play. One little squeek out of one of them and the other will instantly lick the ears and mouth of the 'hurt' one. In this respect I think it is an appeasing and comforting behaviour. It also seems to signal an end to the play session and both dogs settle once its done!

Mine are kissers :grouphug: I have to watch Kaos as, like Jarrah, he will jump from a standing start to face height to give kisses :thanks:

Same here but with a rhodesian ridgeback. ;) :D

I thought it was just a kelpie thing, but maybe not :sick: .

Jarrah is a compulsive face licker, he will bounce up & down in front of you to you head height trying to lick your face & trying to get his tongue in your mouth. ;) It's not really a submissive lick, more a "Oh my god, I can't believe it, I'm so excited" lick, he has started doing it in DwD trials (super excited to be out there dancing & just can't control himself I think), so if anyone has any great ideas other than whacking him on the head, or kneeing him as he jumps up (neither of them are a good look in front of the judge :eek: ) please let me know!

Have you tried the "turn your back & ignore" ? It worked for me with a friend's jumping Staffy, took about 2 weeks though :rofl:

You've never met Jarrah & I have you? :(:o

Lets just say that going around & around in circles turning my back on him would only end in tears as I ended up flat on my face on the floor with him writhing in ecstasy on top of me because you can lick a whole heap longer & faster when your target is on the ground :eek::rofl: .

My parents' dog is a great foot licker, but she mostly does it to mum (who is her favourite).

My girl licks faces. Especially first thing in the morning or when she is pretty excited. Unfortunately, when she is doing it first thing in the morning I am not really cognizant about what is going on and she manages to slip her tongue into my mouth. Not a great feeling, but I've learned to live with it. :grouphug:

Jarrah is a compulsive face licker, he will bounce up & down in front of you to you head height trying to lick your face & trying to get his tongue in your mouth. :) It's not really a submissive lick, more a "Oh my god, I can't believe it, I'm so excited" lick, he has started doing it in DwD trials (super excited to be out there dancing & just can't control himself I think), so if anyone has any great ideas other than whacking him on the head, or kneeing him as he jumps up (neither of them are a good look in front of the judge :eek: ) please let me know!

LOL :) :p

My vizsla is an expert in getting her tongue down your throat! Poor tradesmen when they come to the house!! First she looks like she'lll rip their throat out, then when their guard is down, she slips the tongue in!

I dont have any great ideas, with us, and anyone else who wants a kiss ;) we have taught her to kiss on command, jsut like any other training. still get a tonguey!! but at least I'm ready. She never licks, only tries to kiss.

She will also try and get one in when you arent' looking, when you first get home etc. but we make her wait until she gets the 'kiss' command.

It is embarrassing with stand for exam as she is very sneaky getting the tongue in when anyone gets in her reach :eek:

she will also do it to the spinone when running along or out on a walk, she seems to do it to her for reassurance.

lots of friends think I'm barking mad having her do 'kiss', but, I like it! (tragic!!) :(

Hector is a licker. Licker of faces, legs, arms, windows and anything else he decides might have a nice taste.

Maverick, you hardly ever see his tongue out of his mouth unless he is eating & drinking.. or licking other dogs he feels are higher in the pack then him. But he doesn't lick humans.. :(

My gorgeous 18 month old American Cocker does even better than licks - she actually kisses me! She presses her mouth against mine and then pulls back to look at me and does it again - definitely kisses!

My GSD NEVER licks and my friends baby Newfie licks everyone A LOT!

Jarrah is a compulsive face licker, he will bounce up & down in front of you to you head height trying to lick your face & trying to get his tongue in your mouth. :crossfingers: It's not really a submissive lick, more a "Oh my god, I can't believe it, I'm so excited" lick, he has started doing it in DwD trials (super excited to be out there dancing & just can't control himself I think), so if anyone has any great ideas other than whacking him on the head, or kneeing him as he jumps up (neither of them are a good look in front of the judge :( ) please let me know!

LOL :rasberry::laugh:

My vizsla is an expert in getting her tongue down your throat! Poor tradesmen when they come to the house!! First she looks like she'lll rip their throat out, then when their guard is down, she slips the tongue in!

It's a breed trait.. Tash is an expert, and Bundy has started too, she's taught him yuckky habits :laugh: Don't mind a lick on the cheek every now and then (or even a forehead wash if i'm going to the shower) but ugh.. if he slips in the tongue I go off to gargle :(

You've never met Jarrah & I have you? :):o

Lets just say that going around & around in circles turning my back on him would only end in tears as I ended up flat on my face on the floor with him writhing in ecstasy on top of me because you can lick a whole heap longer & faster when your target is on the ground :eek::hug: .

:) :) ;)

Jarrah is a compulsive face licker, he will bounce up & down in front of you to you head height trying to lick your face & trying to get his tongue in your mouth. :lollipop: It's not really a submissive lick, more a "Oh my god, I can't believe it, I'm so excited" lick, he has started doing it in DwD trials (super excited to be out there dancing & just can't control himself I think), so if anyone has any great ideas other than whacking him on the head, or kneeing him as he jumps up (neither of them are a good look in front of the judge :bottom: ) please let me know!

LOL :rasberry::worship:

It's a breed trait.. Tash is an expert, and Bundy has started too, she's taught him yuckky habits :scold: Don't mind a lick on the cheek every now and then (or even a forehead wash if i'm going to the shower) but ugh.. if he slips in the tongue I go off to gargle :nahnah:

That's exactly what Jarrah does! He springs up straight in front of you & when he gets to your head height he slips the tongue in :cheers: . We have had so many people come to visit & when they walk through the gate they make the mistake of opening their mouth to speak & he's there to slip the tongue in before they can get a word out. Don't know how many times he's done it to us too, you'd think we'd learn that you need to walk through the gate, clamp your lips shut & shuffle as fast as you can with your face in the air so that he can't get to your mouth, but he still manages to get the french kissing thing going on a regular basis :) . If you tell him "kisses" he just goes crazy trying to get up to lick you all over the face - including up your nose (never worked out how a dog's tongue could get up a human's nose - but it can!) & inside your mouth :scared::coffee: .

Bertie, don't laugh at the image of a chubby middle aged woman lying on the floor being mauled by a kelpie's tongue you meanie! :swing::laugh::champagne:

Brooke, awwww that is sooooooo cute!