I Feel Like Killing My Dog

indigirl

My 4yr old golden retriever BITCH of a dog has dug up my friggin lawn again! I am unwell and let her out to the loo and went to lie down and dozed then woke up and raced out to let her in. I cannot trust this dog for 1 f***ing minute unless Im watching her Tonight cos im sick i accidently l4ft her outside for around 15- 20 mins.

Sure enough shes dug a massive hole in my lawn its approx 2ft x 1ft deep and all the subsoil irrigation is exposed and no doubt damaged AGAIN. I am so f***ing sick of her doing this. Im at the end of my tether. I honestly think if declawing dogs eas legal here I would seriously consider it for her.

I spent 4 grand concreting a large area of my yard and fenced it jsut so she couldnt dig the lawn. I cannot trust her at all on the lawn. I have spent thousands fixing up the damage shes done. I dont know how many times ive had to have the irrigation system repaired, I have literally lost track of it.

Shes obsessed by digging. Ive given her a sandpit and she has loads of toys. She also has loads of other dogs for company. But if i take my eyes off her for more than a minute shes digging. It makes me crazy mad, i feel like punching her in the head for destroying my yard yet again.

I dont know what to do her. She has dug thru 2 layers of wire with compacted roadbase over the top. Nothing deters her but concrete. She has some kind of need to dig dig dig.

Has anyone else got a dog like this? How do you cope with it? It feels so bloody personal, like she does it deliberatly.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Settle petal. It's not personal at all. She is a dog and they dig!

Hate to say it but they usually dig when they are bored. If you aren't well, maybe you haven't been able to exercise her enough? :love:

Does this dog bring you any enjoyment at all? or does she always p*ss you off?

Don't anthropomorphise the dog. She isn't doing it on purpose.

Focus on some training, the dog doesn't respect you, you need to catch her in the act and give her a swift correction.

Don't be too upset, for the time being, maybe crate the dog when you cannot supervise her.

I'm sure someone with actual experience can help you in terms of the corrective training.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated, and I can understand where you come from - I used to have a beagle I couldn't let out of sight or he'd destroying/eating something. Take a time-out for yourself. The only thing I know about detering dogs from digging a hole is placing their poop in it, but then they may find another spot to dig (in my case, he stopped completely after that one hole).

There are these No-digging / garden-off type of commercial products - not sure how effective they are. Maybe someone here can help in this area.

You sound really upset. :love:

I love this cow of a dog dearly, she just drives me nuts with her digging. No she hasnt been for a run this week, but on many occasions she has been run, had a mental workout at obedience, had loads of time spent with her .. then I take my eyes off her for a minute and she is digging.

Its just overwhelmingly frustrating.

what would happen if you put dog boots on her and then rubbed some vicks on them in order to stop her trying to remove them?

Unfortunately self rewarding behaviours can be like that. You do everything you can and it sticks. Trust me my OH has been in your shoes when the rottie has done something stupid. And he cracked it when the dogue decided to smash another garage window the day before :love: Oh and dont forget how I felt when my Malinois shredded the entire rear interior of my car.

It's nothing personal. She's just bored. Even when she's been for walks etc she can still get bored. Maybe you could build her a sandpit and when she starts digging in the garden firmly say no and take her to the sandpit. I dunno. Just throwing ideas around here. I've always found getting angry and yelling etc just makes dogs confused and scared and doesn't help. If I can find a calm and positive way to correct them I'll go with it.

I've never had a digging dog - oh except one of my girls used to dig under bushes - she liked the coolness of the dirt I think. It didn't really bother me. I just kept putting the dirt back every now and then :love:

ETA - ooops sorry - I see you've already tried the sandpit LOL Note to self - READ THE WHOLE POST before opening big mouth :D

Edited by spottychick

Would there be a way to correct this sort of behavior?

I've heard of self rewarding behavior such as barking at birds (Bark, bird fly, Ooh Exciting Bark Bark Bark) being corrected with an E-Collar used by a trainer.

What do you think Nekhbet? Ouch about this inside of your car too!

And to think my cat did much more destruction than my dogs have ever done. Oh and plus with cats, you know they aren't bored. They're just doing it deliberately as revenge O_O

Edited by lovemesideways

What do you think Nekhbet? Ouch about this inside of your car too!

eh working line Malinois vs commodore interior. she's even ripped the spare tyre up out of the well it sits in. My fault for not crating her as she's trained never to burst one of those (thank christ)

I'd want to see the dog and the situation before e-collar. I'd be seeing whats in the soil too, there could be something in there driving her bananas and encouraging her to dig.

barking at birds though is usually prey drive towards a moving stimulus. Once thats cemented that is a pain to try and fix at times especially in active easily stimulated working breeds. Actually I'm surprised thats one thing my Malinois doesnt care about :love:

Sounds really stressful indigirl, I hope you get it sorted. Dogs usually dig when they are bored... Maybe you could find things to distract her from digging? What about kongs, bones, new exciting toys... ect.

I noticed that it is your birthday as well; Happy birthday, I hope you have a great, stress-free day! :love:

Its not anything in the soil - unless its in soil nationwide. She will dig like she is posessed anywhere anytime she has access to a lawn/dirt. Ive stayed at friends and family's housed with her, she has duh up thier yard too.

Its hard to convey just how bad it is. She digs like a lunatic, she can dig a hole 3 ft DEEP in about 30 mins. I was always so afraid one day a hole would collapse on top of her and she would sufocate. Shes dug up my water pipes and put holes in them (thanks Karma!) several times. She also dug down and somehow got into the sewerage line but i suspect it was damaged as I cant see how she would smash a concrete pipe. That was beyond revolting. The damage to the pipes and the fear she would be smothered by a hole caving in is why I paid to have concrete put down. God knows what I will do if the pipes ever need work as they have been concreted over now.

I live in an arid area, lawn is grown only with a lot of work and $$ on water. So when she destroys it time and time again its heartbreaking. I only have two strips of lawn, the rest is concrete or paved. I dont want to concrete the entire back yard - can you imagine how hot it will get in summer? I have 3 shade sails in the yard already to keep the existing concrete/paving cool. I dont want to have shade sails over the entire yard, sunshine is lovely in winter.

I hate that i cant leave her alone for even a minute or two or she will dig. it makes me nuts she is so destructive. I have to walk away from her when she destroys the lawn or I fear I would hit her. I think unless you have lived with a dog that is destructive on the level she is, its hard to grasp jsut how hard it is to keep your cool when they destroy your property over and over again.

Its not boredom. She does it for the sheer love of digging. I accept she may be frustrated as she hasnt been walked this week, but honestly thats not why she does it. As i said before i can take her for a long run out of town where she can run to her hearts content, bring her home and if i turn my back on her she will dig dig dig.

When shes been digging shes soo happy, her tail wags nonstop and shes so full of energy. She just loves to dig. She knows she isnt meant to do it. She will come bounding past me then soon as she sees me heading over to investigate the damage she will make herself scarce. I can yell at her, ignore her, hit her with a newspaper (the ultimate punishment here).. nothing changes or stops the behaviour. I've tried all the supposed remedies.. putting poo in the hole, putting chilli in the hole, putting rocks in the hole.. NOTHING deters her

I laughed when I read the post that said she doesnt respect me. What the f*** does respect have to do with a dog thats obsessed with digging? Until you have seen her in action its difficult to understand I guess. Shes normally well behaved, she does get barky at times but I have a barking collar that I use on her bad days. She isnt destructive at all in the house, she doesnt chew up bedding or even stuffed toys anymore. She can be trusted to be left in the house for hours when Im out. She will sit, stay, drop, and has a brilliant recall. She heels when i insist and I am always getting comments on how well behaved/trained she is. She understands lots of other commands too, things like get in the car, wait, roll over etc. I ask her if she needs to go to the loo and she will go to the back door if she needs to go. She is a well behaved dog, trained to a point where she is easy to live with. Ive taught her manners, she knows not to barge past me to get in the door - stuff like that. I used to take her to obedience but it was just too boring for her and she didnt enjoy it. She is great in the ring - unless its windy or she's in season then shes a bit scatty. She is storm phobic but soon as she hears thunder in the distance she will start barking and i crate her, she settles very quickly in her crate. She is a lovely affectionate happy dog. Its just the digging that does my head in.

Very frustrating for you, and no doubt the dog as well.

If you only have two strips of grass left in the yard, can you fence them off (was thinking of ping string type electric portable fence). Easy to do. Cheap enough. The poly tape and the tread ins are very easy to install, and a low voltage energiser. Just a thought.

Have you thought about getting that fake grass? Astro turf or whatever it is? Might be a solution.

Good luck, I can feel your frustration.

Our dogs both dig, the yard looks like the moon, no grass left except for where they poo :love: At first it stressed me out, but now I am over it. They're dogs and if I'm going to leave them alone I have to deal with it. Once you can get over the point where you care a lot about it, you will find things become a LOT less stressful and you can enjoy your dog a lot more.

I know, easier said than done...

Have heard dogs can dig up artifcial grass as well.

It is very expensive to lay as well, so very bad if the dog does decide to dig it up.

Can you fence an area of the yard off or put in a dog run where she could dig etc? That would leave the rest of the yard looking nice.

Next time you lay turf you could put some mesh under- I have heard that helps stop digging.

I nipped Orbits digging in the bud when he was a pup by putting his poo in any holes he had started to dig.

I know you say she just loves digging which I am sure she does, but the way you describe it, as frantic quick digging still sounds like it could be an energy release, or was once and is now a habit? Sort of like an obsessive sort of behaviour. Could she even have some sort of anxiety about being outside and vents this on your lawn? Does she destroy anything when she's inside with you?

All I can suggest is up her exercise and maybe see if you can get someone else to take her out for you whilst your unwell. Offlead running is all good and well but it's not really structured and IMO, doesn't tire them out as mentally and physically as a good half an hour run on lead.

Indigirl:

I accept she may be frustrated as she hasnt been walked this week, but honestly thats not why she does it.

OK. Why do you think she's doing it? My money's on boredom. Give her a good hour walk every day for a week and see if she still does it with such fervour. I'm betting she doesn't.

You can't expect an adult gundog to get no exercise without seeking stimulation somehow. Personally I think a half hour's training and one hour of offlead exercise daily would make a massive difference to both your lives.

I think you need to stop blaming the dog. You're the one who controls her life.

Edited by poodlefan

Exercise and mental stimulation will probably help - perhaps it will help a lot. But if she's that high energy & loves to dig that much, you'll probably need to manage the situation too.

No easy way out of it, really. I'd confine her to a particular area, or fence off the grass during the day (either with a fence or ping strip). Easy, painless, and if the run or fence is solid enough, it's guaranteed to work.

You could faff around trying to punish the behaviour, but seems like a lot of work, especially since she's already discovered it's so rewarding, I would suspect the training could easily break down as soon as she realises you're not always there to punish her.

Sounds like she's a great dog otherwise. Really, there are lots of far worse problems she could have.

You are not alone. Indigirl. I have a young bitch, also a Goldie, that sounds just the same as yours.

Last night she pulled the covers off 4 dogbeds and chewed holes in them. She also jumped a fence, too high for me to step over, and dug up my vegie garden.

Recently she has shredded the padding off 5 of my outdoor chairs, leaving a table and 1 chair intact.

She lives with 3 other dogs, has a large yard to run in and has regular training and runs in the park plus dogshows at the weekend.

Think they are just busy girls and will hopefully settle down as they get older.