Does Your Dog/ Puppy Growl When Playing?

heroeswit

My new puppy has started growling when she is playing with our other dog and when I playing tug a war with her rope toy. Does anyone elses dog/ puppy do/have done this and what can you do to stop it(if it's bad)?

thanks for any comments

Hi Some dogs are just more vocal than others, one of my girls is very vocal when she plays with my other dogs. I have never tried to stop her and I don't think it is a bad thing. I was also concerned when she was younger but after watching her closely just realized it is just part of her nature to be vocal. She talks a lot too and to let me know what she wants she will let out a little bark. Just watch her when playing with new dogs, you will be able to tell if it goes any further than just vocal playing.

Just wanted to add both my boys will growl when playing tug and My oldest growls when playing chasey too. Growling is probly not the right word to use more like just being vocal.

All three of my dogs are VERY vocal when they play. I've never tried to stop them as I don't see it as something bad. It sounds almost like a conversation :thumbsup:

Here's an example

And here (from about 30 seconds)

Edited by TerraNik

My stumpy tail cattle dog X is very vocal and loves growling when playing...it is a playful growl and she will wag her tail too.

My kelpie X will only growl very softly when playing...it is such a wussy growl too. Her playful growl is slightly louder if she is playing with a soccer ball.

I don't see it as something to worry about...if either of my dogs were growling at me in an aggressive way it would be very obvious.

All three of my dogs are VERY vocal when they play. I've never tried to stop them as I don't see it as something bad. It sounds almost like a conversation :rofl:

Here's an example

This is like Zero too - give him a tug toy and he'll growl at you while he's tugging.

I know what Zero's growl sounds like and it's nothing like the low, deep growl he used to get when he wanted to get aggressive with something. He also growls out of excitement sometimes (like when we go to Nik's house to visit ahsoka, jedi and fable and there's a whole house full of dogs there) - he would never get aggressive with Ahsoka and yet, he will make this growly noise at her.

My new puppy has started growling when she is playing with our other dog and when I playing tug a war with her rope toy. Does anyone elses dog/ puppy do/have done this and what can you do to stop it(if it's bad)?

thanks for any comments

My puppy is 13 weeks and does the same. I think he's just being vocal. :rofl:

I love it when he makes cute little noises. Sometimes when he sees food, he makes 'gruffle gruffle' noises. Does anyone else have dogs that do this?

All three of my dogs are VERY vocal when they play. I've never tried to stop them as I don't see it as something bad. It sounds almost like a conversation ;)

Here's an example

thats exactly what it is when she is playing :rofl: . And it's good to know she's not the only one that does it :thumbsup:

All three of my dogs are VERY vocal when they play. I've never tried to stop them as I don't see it as something bad. It sounds almost like a conversation :rofl:

Here's an example

This is like Zero too - give him a tug toy and he'll growl at you while he's tugging.

I know what Zero's growl sounds like and it's nothing like the low, deep growl he used to get when he wanted to get aggressive with something. He also growls out of excitement sometimes (like when we go to Nik's house to visit ahsoka, jedi and fable and there's a whole house full of dogs there) - he would never get aggressive with Ahsoka and yet, he will make this growly noise at her.

While Soaks is bouncing all over his face :thumbsup:

Here's an example

While Soaks is bouncing all over his face :thumbsup:

;) Yes she forgot to add that part!

Evey time I play tug a war with Morrison he gets all growly. I really like hearing him play growl, looks like he's grinning/laughing. His nervous/posessivev growl is deeper, which I ignore (most of the time) because it is usually the neighbors dogs, wind and birds that set him off.

Max growls when he wants Morrison to play with him, and will be more vocal when they play. Wer're still figuring out his different growls.

I dont think i've ever met a dog that isn't vocal whilst playing tug :confused:

ETA: i wouldn't be worried about it in the slightest. There's a big difference between a play growl, and one that you should be concerned about.

Edited by snow_wolf