Brighton Dog Beach Sunday

Elfin

I am so sorry to hear about your dog Elfin and hope he makes a good recovery. I always worry about dog parks, beaches etc that some fool will have a DA dog there that they can't control. I hope this dog owner can be brought to justice, this sort of thing isn't on :)

Fiona :laugh:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all again for your thoughts and suggestions. I will certainly be doing my best to find the owner of this dog.

I have just got off the phone from the Bayside City Council, and it sounds like the process of having this woman made responsible is going to be long and expensive.

The owner gave me her phone number and name (refused to give me her address), but is not answering her phone when I call.

I know the dog's name and the council it is registered in.

I am so frustrated and upset because I cannot afford the ongoing bills for Bernard's leg. I should not have to pay for what her dog did. And her dog will do it again, going by her attitude. Several people asked her to control her dog, but she was talking on her mobile phone the entire time, and would just occasionally call out, "don't worry, he's all noise", then go back to her phone conversation. The dog would follow whenever we tried to move away from it. Even when her dog had attacked mine she did not get off the phone; I had to yell at her and point to the mess that was my dog's leg for a good 2-3 minutes bfore she hung up.

:)

EFS

Edited by Elfin

Thank you all again for your thoughts and suggestions. I will certainly be doing my best to find the owner of this dog.

I have just got off the phone from the Bayside City Council, and it sounds like the process of having this woman may responsible is going to be long and expensive.

The owner gave me her phone number and name (refused to give me her address), but is not answering her phone when I call.

I am so frustrated and upset because I cannot afford the ongoing bills for Bernard's leg. I should not have to pay for what her dog did. And her dog will do it again, going by her attitude. Several people asked her to control her dog, but she was talking on her mobile phone the entire time, and would just occasionally call out, "don't worry, he's all noise", then go back to her phone conversation. The dog would follow whenever we tried to move away from it. Even when her dog had attacked mine she did not get off the phone; I had to yell at her and point to the mess that was my dog's leg for a good 2-3 minutes bfore she hung up.

:)

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. :laugh:

Is the council going to do a dangerous dog declaration?

Elfin, if you could afford a trip to a solicitor, I think it would be a good idea. With a name and phone number this person can be identified and served notice to respond to a claim for damages. Nothing like a court notice to open people's wallets.

Edited by poodlefan

Elfin, if you could afford a trip to a solicitor, I think it would be a good idea. With a name and phone number this person can be identified and served notice to respond to a claim for damages. Nothing like a court notice to open people's wallets.

Agree.

So sorry this awful thing happened to your dog & to you. Thanks to an irresponsible & totally useless dog owner.

People can be held responsible, under the law, for being in charge of all sorts of things that are likely to cause harm. Pity this can't be extended to dog owners who are 'in charge' of a dog that they evidently can't or won't control. So there'd be a 'dangerous dog owner', not just a 'dangerous' dog.

Edited by mita

Even when her dog had attacked mine she did not get off the phone; I had to yell at her and point to the mess that was my dog's leg for a good 2-3 minutes bfore she hung up.

She sounds like a complete, irresponsible, idiot.

If you try the electoral roll you might be able to get a lead on an address.

How terrible. I only go to that beach at 7am as it is just too popular at peak times. We have stopped going totally after a GSD jumped on my boy and when I asked the owner to call his dog he refused and said "it won't eat your dogs".

Is the dog going to be declared dangerous? Is the council actually going to take any action? Do we need to do something to help you pressure the council into acting?

I have just got off the phone from the Bayside City Council, and it sounds like the process of having this woman may responsible is going to be long and expensive.

:rasberry:

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. :laugh:

Is the council going to do a dangerous dog declaration?

this ^^^^

a solicitor or lawyer or private investigator are allowed to get this information but members of the public cant.

if you have a legal aid agency they could write up a letter for you.

the council should be chasing this up as well.

the fact that she gave you her phone number is enough to say she was there and she felt some responsibility for what occurred

So sorry Elfin, how terrible!!

Poor things..I Hope Bernard will be ok and recover

I hope the council do further investigating on this, it's unfair for you to chase this all up you have anough to worry about.

Elfin - keep following up with Bayside, i've had dealings with them in the past, including going to court to be a witness for them against a couple of dangerous dogs. They have gone that far before, they should be able to follow up further with this.

A report to the police as well won't hurt, and advise the council that you will be doing this.

And if your still getting stone walled, PM and i'll put you in touch with someone who may be able to give you some legal advise.

Hope your old boy is all right. Sadly i don't go to this beach much any more, despite only living 5 mins away from it, as the only times i could go it would be way too busy for my dogs and me to have some fun without running into trouble. I miss the days of being able to go in the middle of the day midweek!

So sorry about your dog Elfin :rasberry: I hope he makes a full recovery, just unbelievable and the sad thing is that lady ISN'T the minority.

Can you find a no-win no-fee solicitor down here who has a little experience with dog attacks? I think you do need to get your money back and that might be the best way.

Otherwise organise to meet a ranger down there for the next few weeks at the same time, sounds like she is stupid enough to go back there.

So sorry this has happened. Owning an attacking dog is a criminal matter and should be investigated by police. It can give an avenue of compensation if the owner is charged, you can claim for costs through the court. Even if the matter can't proceed criminally - insufficient evidence etc - don't despair. Civil court proceedings have a different burden of proof and you can still launch action against her. If you have her full name and issue a civil suit against her the authorities will find her address for service of documents etc.

Can we do a fundraiser through dol to help with vet bills in the meantime? Has been done a few times, I'm sure there's still members about that have been a part of getting it started - anyone have some advice?

edit - can't spell...

Edited by Alyosha

You are all so kind, thank you!

And thank you Aloysha for your generous idea of getting people to help out with the vet bills, but I cannot accept other people's money. I am incredibly heartened by all your support, but will just put everything on my credit card (which WAS payed off!) until I can find this woman and make her pay for everything.

I will report the incident to the police and see what they can do.

I really cannot afford to see a solicitor at the moment.

If anyone in the City of Casey would like to PM me, I will give you a good description of the woman and her dog to see if you know of her.

I will not name her, just in case.

Once again, thank you from me and Bernard. He had a bandage change today, and the wound looks "ok". He is still quite lame, though.

Edited by Elfin

:hug: to you and Bernard. May I suggest you get photos of Bernards leg next time you change the bandage and perhaps get a report from your vet before too much time passes and details are forgotten.

Hope you find this woman and her dog.

How terrible :hug:

What about contacting the local area dog clubs and asking if oyu can provide flyers there? Just thinking you would be touching base with local responsible dog owners who would care and may have witnessed it or know who else walks there to ask.

Hope you boy heals quickly.