Dog Licking Human Wounds

Mr_Snow

A discussion has started at home because I've got a graze on my leg,

I'm not that aghast against my dog licking my wound aslong as it doesn't go too far (and I have to stop him continuing)....

...My partner is not too keen on it. Now we've both heard the myth about dogs licking your wounds, but a search online has raised both for & against reasons.

Obviously different dogs will have different habits (eating poo etc) but where lies some type of consensus. Have I been sucked into old wives tales?

What do the DOLforumites think on the matter??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um.....no I'd never let a dog lick a wound. That's gross!

I hate it when mine try and lick the water off my legs when I've just jumped out of the shower, let alone a wound.

The amount of bacteria even in a healthy dogs mouth that doesn't appear to have dental problems, is still more than I'd like near any open wound of mine.

I don't let mine do it, not that I have any good reason for or against. Our big boy in particular is obsessed with wounds of any kind, whether they're on another animal or a human. He's found papercuts on my fingers before I've even noticed :laugh:

They do it as a primitive thing. They are getting ready to eat you after you have been mauled :rofl:

My cats as well as the dogs always find even tiny scratches & want to lick them.

after eating raw meat, washing their bums & sticking noses into any smelly thing they find I doubt it would have much healing power. Betadine is a better option.

They do it as a primitive thing. They are getting ready to eat you after you have been mauled ;)

My cats as well as the dogs always find even tiny scratches & want to lick them.

after eating raw meat, washing their bums & sticking noses into any smelly thing they find I doubt it would have much healing power. Betadine is a better option.

This sounds pretty practical to me. :rofl:

A discussion has started at home because I've got a graze on my leg,

I'm not that aghast against my dog licking my wound aslong as it doesn't go too far (and I have to stop him continuing)....

...My partner is not too keen on it. Now we've both heard the myth about dogs licking your wounds, but a search online has raised both for & against reasons.

Obviously different dogs will have different habits (eating poo etc) but where lies some type of consensus. Have I been sucked into old wives tales?

What do the DOLforumites think on the matter??

Well, being 'your' leg what does 'your' instinct tell you? Out of caution and lack of knowledge about germs in humans and germs in dogs I would prefer my dog did not lick any wound I had. Just common sense really, try salt instead perhaps!

Would you lick any wound your dog had?

Edited by LabTested

No, I wouldn't let my dog lick my wounds... The saying that a dog's mouth is cleaner then a humans isn't necessarily even true. They have all kinds of nasty bacterias, just like us. :rofl: Put some antiseptic cream on your graze instead.

It's not just the bacteria but if it's an open wound a dogs rough tongue could open it up more and make it worse, plus wounds should be kept dry to heal faster.

I have really bad eczema on the palms of my hands and one of my boys goes crazy trying to get at them, doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

I always did as a kid. I was told that it helped to heal your wounds - and yes, they did noticeably heal a lot quicker. I'm not sure I would still have a problem with it now really. Maybe I'm just waaaaay too comfortable with my pets :rofl:

It's not just the bacteria but if it's an open wound a dogs rough tongue could open it up more and make it worse, plus wounds should be kept dry to heal faster.

I have really bad eczema on the palms of my hands and one of my boys goes crazy trying to get at them, doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

You must keep a wound moist for it to heal faster.

My dog has licked my small wounds doesnt seem to make it any worse.

My dads dog used to lick his psoriasis on one of his elbows, that elbow was a whole lot better than the other one.