Scary Interaction With A Dog.

tianakaesha

I actually called the school before I reported it to council. It was 3pm and school kids were about to get out. It occurred 100m from the front gate of the school.

I had a sleep on the couch and T came running in yelling at me crying. I woke up in that dreamy state thinking she'd been bitten.. :rofl: She was just upset she'd lost her sticker.

I explained to her that not all dogs are like that (and she knows), and she's been around dog shows and lots of dogs before.. but I will definitely find some big dogs next time we go out to erskine park and see if we can get her used to them. she was bowled over by a Bull Mastiff Cross recently (OMG, it was Bull Mastiff x Horse I reckon hahaha!) and she was fine after that.. she just took some time. I'll just have to tread carfully with her. I have been very careful to teach her good dog manners and we have spoken of standing still with dogs, so she knew what to do.

Though, can someone tell me, in the case of it ever happening again, when a dog charges, what is your best move? I just want to make sure I do it right, and teach T right too..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that dog sounded like it knows what it's doing. With a dog that does what this one did tell your child to stand behind you, preferably between you and a fence/wall and close their eyes/be very quiet. You did the right thing, just stay calm, put a large object in between yourself and the dog and look just to the side of the dogs face. You're not staring it down but at the same time keeping it in your sights. Sometimes gently saying 'hello puppy, good puppy' in a low happy voice can calm a dog or make it lose interest. If you want to attract a passer by just sound loud, not panicky or the dog can push you further.

Saving that, and I know this sounds stupid, keep a tube of that reeking deep heat in your bag. When your child is safe, just squeeze the tube into your hands and the smell tends to turn dogs off getting too close to take a nip. If you have a strong spray deoderant too you can spray that into their face and eyes.

I think you should count yourself and your daughter very very lucky.

You had a wonderful presence of mine to act as you did and I think what you did saved your daughter from some potentially horrific bites. I really hope am I ever in the same situation (and I dearly hope myself or anyone else never is!) that I think as clearly as you did. Very well done.

That dog needs to found and quickly. A dog acting in that manner towards a human and a child at that is extremely dangerous.

Wow thank goodness you are both safe - what a horrible ordeal and I hope that never happens again. I like Nekhbet's suggestion of the deep heat and the standing still, closing eyes for the child etc. I have also heard that carrying a bag of treats and scattering them away from you may distract the dog long enough for you to get away safely. I suppose if the dog is food oriented or not.

Wow, what a scare you had and how well you managed to handle the situation under such stress. Nekhbet has some great advice about what to do :rofl: when confronted by a dog like this. I hope the dog is found and found soon. It's just too scary to contemplate what could have happened.

wow , [[[hugs]]]] you seem to have done the right thing at the time , hope they find it and the nitwit that owns such a dog

If u see my big goober at ersk he loves kids, the tail is the dangerous part of him, it wacks hard when he wags it

Far out!

Glad that you and your daughter are safe. What a terrifying ordeal to go through. The sooner that dog and its owners are found, the better! Good on you for still being able to phone the school afterwards and managing to get your daughter between yourself and the fence. I always carry a small can of bodyspray in my bag or in the pram just incase, I would have noway of being able to sheild a double pram plus 2 other kids. Just feel sick to my stomach thinking about what you both went through. I am so glad you are both ok, albeit your nerves being wrecked from the experience. Praying your daughter is not affected too much by what happend, poor little mite. [[[hugs]]]]

I've had dogs charge me barking and growling unfriendly, a couple of times when I was on my bike. One of them, I just yelled deep and growly "BAD DOG GO HOME" and it did. The other one, I got off my bike and used it as a shield, and yelled at it "BAD DOG". The owners of that one got a bit upset, so I yelled at them too. You gotta love badly trained heelers. Sheesh.

Not sure what I'd do if it was a Rotty or GSD. But the minute you back off, they chase, so if you can advance, being taller, and louder than them - they might back off. And definitely have something ready to stuff in their mouth that isn't you. My plan for if a nasty dog does grab hold, is to push as hard as I can. Every dog (and horse) I've known that ever bit me, has tried to spit me out when I push, serious pain happens when I try to pull away. Your situation seemed too late for doggy calming signals like no eye contact, licking lips and yawning. But I like the idea of aeroguard / body spray to the dogs eyes too. I just never carry any when I'm out walking. Sigh.

I sure hope that dog gets caught.

You poor thing hope you and your daughter are OK. I hope to god this GSD wasn't in my area of Sydney. Irrespective of where it was I hope they find it and put it to sleep, unbelievable that someone would have a dog like this running around near a school with little kids.

I've heard putting umbrellas up dog's face can deter dog (who knows if that's true though...who has an umbrella or anything they need in these situations...).

I hope you find some nice dogs again shortly for both you and Miss T and you hear of this GSD being removed from the streets quickly.

Thanks all.

I don't care what happens with the dog - as long as it never gets out again. I don't particularly want it put to sleep, but it's up to Council if they find it.

I was stuck in the middle of a road, no fence behind us, just road with a dog pacing and circling us. At first I thought he was just sniffing, until it growled. Any movement made it move more. I believe it was herding us in a way, as that's the behaviour it kind of exhibited. Ducking head, side to side movements, pinning us in our place.

I would have been happier with a fence, but at least had my bag between me and it's teeth.

I think I might have to find a GSD soon to go and pat. More for me than for T. I feel very traumatised by it. She was a bit more oblivious. Though she did crawl into my bed crying last night.

*sigh*

I need some rescue remedy I think.

Rottiegirl -

Oh :laugh: Nasty. Hope you find a nice slobbery GSD friend .....a fluffy one- kinda like 'the hair of the dog ....(that bit you ') :laugh:

Seriously , I can understand you being very shaken up. That sounded a very frightening few minutes indeed.

Glad the council are looking for the dog and its owners.

:thumbsup: :D

You poor thing hope you and your daughter are OK. I hope to god this GSD wasn't in my area of Sydney. Irrespective of where it was I hope they find it and put it to sleep,

The dog doesn't need to be PTS, the owner does.

The dog was more than likely defending what he saw as "his property". Why is that the dogs fault? The owner obviously knows his dog roams, chases cars, bails up strangers aggressively and allows it. With no-one telling the dog otherwise he is simply doing what he sees as his job so to speak. Wrong? Of course it is. But still not the dogs fault.

unbelievable that someone would have a dog like this running around near a school with little kids.

100% agree with this though. Allowing your dog to roam is bad enough, but letting a large and potentially agressive dog roam around near a school is just plain stupid. Next time it may be two young children crossing the road and God knows what would happen then! Hopefully both the school and council adress this issue pronto.

What a horrible, scarey thing to happen.

Unfortunately alot of dog owners simply don't care if their dog is terrorising others.

when I was a kid there was a family that lived across the road from us. They lived in a caravan and had no fencing around their block. They had a large female GSD that was very territorial and unpredictable.

One afternoon there was a group of us kids (including the kids from across the road) playing out the front of my house and we were patting a cat (from the same house as the GSD) when out of nowhere this dog came flying at us and straight for my younger cousin. Even at that age (i was about 12) I could see that the dog was after her in particular and I yelled at her to run and climb up on our 4WD that was parked out the front. The dog jumped up and grabbed her on the back and pinned her to the ground and was really mauling her. I still don't know how we got the dog off her but somehow we did and she was not as badly hurt as you would expect after something like that. (lot's of puncture wounds and bruising though).

3 hours after the attack the police came out to shoot the dog only to discover that they had already given the dog to someone else (and wouldn't say who) so it didn't have to get pts :thumbsup:

I hope that they find the dog that did this to you and your daughter and take it from the irresponsible people that own it.