Morning Tea For The Judge & Steward/s

Rottsup

Recently at a few shows I have witnessed a entrant/handler go into the show ring prior to his/her dog/s going in and giving the Judge & Stewards morning tea (ie: scones & cream / muffins & cream) while the judge is judging other breeds. The handler does not offer this to the judges/stewards in the other rings, just the ring he/she is entered into.

I dont think there is any regulation against doing this. Do you think this is appropriate for the Judge and or Stewards to accept?? :rolleyes:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would depend on loads of things.

Like how serious the competition was - ie is it State or National level or just club/regional level?

Does the handler know these judges - quite likely that a breeder would know the judges, cos often the judges breed too. Is it the handler's local club? Is the handler related to the judges eg one partner showing, the other judging. Not sure if this is allowed either.

And if I was the steward - I wouldn't accept munchies from a stranger but I would from someone I knew as honorable and not a win at all costs kind of person.

I have been steward for an agility comp and of course I knew all the people from my club and since then, know quite a few from other clubs and some of the judges too. If I was competing, I'd probably wait until after my run before offering to share munchies. When I was stewarding - didn't have time for munchies during a class.

your kidding right? You can't seriously be suggesting that a few scones and cream is going to sway a judge in their decisions? How do you know the handler isn't a member of the club and they were asked to take the morning tea in? :rolleyes:

Doesn't look good, when done to just the ring they will later be judged in - it's up to the committee to provide refreshments to the judge.

Hope the judge washed their hands after having a cream scone - imagine trying to get the jam out of your dogs coat!

Recently at a few shows I have witnessed a entrant/handler go into the show ring prior to his/her dog/s going in and giving the Judge & Stewards morning tea (ie: scones & cream / muffins & cream) while the judge is judging other breeds. The handler does not offer this to the judges/stewards in the other rings, just the ring he/she is entered into.

I dont think there is any regulation against doing this. Do you think this is appropriate for the Judge and or Stewards to accept?? :)

This line is the kicker....were the other judges then given morning tea by someone else or did they miss out entirely? If they did, this clearly is something to be discouraged. No there is no rule, but it most certainly doesn't look good and the line about being the only one available to do it, is pretty lame. As busy as a show can be at times, there is always someone that can attend to a judge without creating a potential controversy!

There were many times that I was free to help out at my club(s) but as an exhibitor, made sure someone ELSE attended to the judges that I would be showing to later that day. Even if it was another exhibitor that was not entered under them....who cares if that person is a member of the club or not as long as the judges are taken care of, and it was done so as to not ever make people stop and say 'mmmmmm'.

My Dear Dog, that "handler" might be one of the few people who is available or willing to perform the task. Someone bloody well has to. I've dropped a few bottles of water and the odd cup of tea and biscuits off to judges and stewards.

It never ceases to amaze me

I'm sure that there must have been someone looking after the other rings too. Perhaps not all at the same time though.

Oh no the scone conspiracy .

:rofl:

When i first started showing ( i was very young) canine members of all ages would fall over themselves helping out clubs with doing the basic tasks .People did this because helping out was a respectful thing to do .

Committee members are often run off there feet doing many tasks & the simple jobs often get forgotten & a helping hand is very much appreciated after all shows don't exist without volunteers/committee/stewards & helpers

When i served on a committee that required adult help again we where grateful for any person who would do small simple things to allow us to keep working.

These days you struggle to get committee members & volunteers because you are accused of doing something "sinister" .

I do have to ask did the scone make them win anything special??Did you specifically follow this person all day to see what other things they did??

Rottsup:

Do you think this is appropriate for the Judge and or Stewards to accept??

No, I think they should refuse all offers of food and drink for fear it influences the judging. :rofl:

Are you serious? If morning tea is delivered to the judge and steward in the ring, who really cares who delivers it? And hats off to the exhibitor getting off their arse to help the show committee.

Next thing it will be exhibitors writing cards who are influencing results.

Edited by poodlefan

I dont think there is any regulation against doing this. Do you think this is appropriate for the Judge and or Stewards to accept?? :rofl:

Oh boy, the judges/stewards got morning tea? Lucky them!!! I wish someone would bring me scones or muffins when I'm stewarding!!!

That reminds me never again to offer a steward and judge a drink out of my esky on a stinking hot day too. I've done that before, seeing them both stand around in the heat and wind, I thought it was the "nice" thing to do, but apparently that's not the case.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Have you ever served on a dog club committee Rottsup? Do you have any idea how much work needs to be done to put on and run a show and how few people are available to do that work?

Honestly :rofl:

But hang on a minute :thumbsup: I suppose it's perfectly possible that there were a couple $100 notes secreted under the cream in one of those scones :laugh:

It sounds in a way like you are questioninig the integrity of the judge. Surely a judge isn't going to award a CC to someone purely because of a scone or lunch. Give them a bit more credit than that!

Have you ever worked on a committee, its a thankless job (not that we want thanks) and one that requires a lot of time and dedication. Not many people are willing to work on a committee these days and I personally would have been grateful to someone to have offered to help out at a show by doing things like that.

Have you ever served on a dog club committee Rottsup? Do you have any idea how much work needs to be done to put on and run a show and how few people are available to do that work?

Honestly :rofl:

snap.... I was too slow (making son's lunch)

The dog show scene is getting small. Entries are down and you get a show sec that is the show sec for like 5 other clubs because no-one else wants to/has the time to do it.

So it's going to happen that the judge will know someone, goes to the toilet in the next stall, parks their car next to, or receives a scone from someone else who they may be judging on the day.

so what.

That reminds me never again to offer a steward and judge a drink out of my esky on a stinking hot day too. I've done that before, seeing them both stand around in the heat and wind, I thought it was the "nice" thing to do, but apparently that's not the case.

Exactly ,also offering a spare umbrella you have .

I recall a show i attended last year in the east,stinking hot,the judge was certainly feeling the heat & yes had to have time out due to it .

The one thing i remember that day was exhibitors coming together & helping the club & the judge to deal best with the situation.

People loaned cool vest/hats/neck ties,they where refreshed by exhibitors ring side .These people all acted like human beings & NOT one person whinged or whined they where gaining browny points & YES i was one of those people .

Did i win yes & with dogs who constantly win anyway.

The judge was so grateful for the actions of the exhibitors & the compassion shown.

Should we have done bugger all??

Honestly :rolleyes:

But hang on a minute :idea: I suppose it's perfectly possible that there were a couple $100 notes secreted under the cream in one of those scones :eek:

I must be Stewarding for the wrong shows or my $100 note has blown away. :cry::rofl: :rofl:

Honestly :rolleyes:

But hang on a minute :rofl: I suppose it's perfectly possible that there were a couple $100 notes secreted under the cream in one of those scones :cry:

I must be Stewarding for the wrong shows or my $100 note has blown away. :cry::rofl::eek:

Next time swap scones with the judge. :idea: