Anyone Interested

Nekhbet

Staranais, I don't think Dory was suggesting that people shouldn't be vegan or vegetarian, that is a valid personal choice after all. Perhaps just suggesting that Moselle's diet isn't as 'guiltless' as she likes to believe. :o It is certainly true that billions of animals die due to pest control being carried out to protect crops. Won't somebody please think of the locusts? :(

Oh yeah I got that, sorry if my reply wasn't clear! I also don't think it's possible to eat and not kill something at some point. I more meant that I don't think any vego who eats milk or cheese (including myself) shouldn't get on their high horse and criticise people who buy free range meat products, since the dairy industry is really no better. Hope that is clearer.

I do still grump at people that buy factory farm eggs or pork, though - no excuse for that, IMO. :o

That is a great tip about breeding to a vasectomised hob - thanks! I too will file that away for future use.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I must say that I find it apalling that your father would allow you (as a kid) to shoot animals!!! :o

:(:o:o My father must be burning in hell. He watched my mother teach me to shoot rabbits when I was about 5 years old

Why ban greyhound racing? because it's a never ending quest to breed litter upon litter in search of that mighty champion; the dogs, in the meantime, are kept caged for their short life, needled with drugs that are undetectable within 24 hours of racing and has hideous side-effects, the dogs are either starved or overfed if they are not within a one kg range of their last weigh in and then they are put down if they are not fast enough for the race track. IF a litter of greyhound pups have not been named yet but have been trialled and are not fast enough they are put down callously as their owners don't have to explain to GRV the disappearance of dogs that are not known to exist! Oh, and the greyhound themselves are trained on live lure where small animals are thrown into an enclosure amongst greyhounds and literally torn to shreds! Yes greyhound racing should be banned but people being as money hungry as they are.....this disgusting practice will never stop!

That is a GROSS generalisation. How many greyhound breeders/trainers do you know?

I am not in the feeble habit of making "gross generalisations".....and I do know quite a fair few greyhound breeders/trainers hence my comments about this "sport." How many do you know? and are you in a position of assuring everyone that I am indeed blowing things out of all proportions??? There is always the exception to the rule and I am the first to admit that there may be a few individuals that are doing the right thing but they are the exception and not the rule.

:(:o

Well this thread has been a crack up. I came in here to see if anyone was heading out with Nehkbet and instead get a good laugh.

First, it was the friend with the duck. I think the friend got lucky when the friendship was ended.

Then THIS lovely statement above about greyhound racing.

Growing up, my dad often went hunting (still does) and I even went out a couple of times... and dad would hunt and bring back food for the racing greyhounds (shock horror!) We had about 40 dogs on the property, most of them racing greys but some of them were the show team (cocker spaniels and english setters). We also had lots of cats to keep the numbers of rodents and snakes down.

I guess this is the point that I say that my obviously 'rough around the edges' mother (and father) were both involved in the totally uncouth and crass world of ladies hairdressing. Yes, my platinum blonde and manicured mother owned racing greyhounds and was known to cut up roo and rabbit carcasses to feed her dogs. How terrible!

and the racing greys... what a horrible life they led!!! Topsy lived until she was 19 when she was humanely PTS because she couldn't stand up anymore and probably weighed about 15kg of skin and bone. My mother didn't have the heart to end her life earlier and probably let her go way too long. Then there are the others that were our house dogs and played with kittens. Oh, and just for fun, there's a photo attached of me with our ex-racing grey Tiger. He became a show dog when his racing career finished then he went to become another family's much loved pet.

Yes, all racing greyhound people are wicked and kill their failed racing dogs and all women involved in hunting are uncouth and rough around the edges and best to be avoided. How very dare they!?!

ETA: and there are more trainers/owners that are like this that I know of then the sort that you know. Maybe I just know the nice people.

post-162-1286837332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ashanali

i taught both my kids how to shoot, hunt and fish.

i figured if they were going to be around guns best they learn how to handle them properly.

at one stage when i lived in the bush if i didnt catch and kill it i didnt eat.

i have also been rabbiting using ferrets and pig hunting using dogs.

i killed cleanly and ethically, more than i can say for some of the meat in the supermarkets.

i surely will go to hell but at least i will have a full tummy when i am there :(

oh btw, if any vegeterians wear leather shoes they may want to rethink this choice as well.

Here's a photograph of a dead greyhound after she was slaughtered because she didn't show much interest in racing. I know she looks like she's alive but she must be dead going on what Moselle has stated about the ruthless greyhound breeders and trainers.

4723022826_f927b7f0d9_z.jpg

Here's a photograph of a dead greyhound after she was slaughtered because she didn't show much interest in racing. I know she looks like she's alive but she must be dead going on what Moselle has stated about the ruthless greyhound breeders and trainers.

4723022826_f927b7f0d9_z.jpg

Here are another couple Kirslin

LillyandPatch.jpg

Lilly (on the left) we actually got as a pup to race *gasp*

Edited by CBL

Why ban greyhound racing? because it's a never ending quest to breed litter upon litter in search of that mighty champion; the dogs, in the meantime, are kept caged for their short life, needled with drugs that are undetectable within 24 hours of racing and has hideous side-effects, the dogs are either starved or overfed if they are not within a one kg range of their last weigh in and then they are put down if they are not fast enough for the race track. IF a litter of greyhound pups have not been named yet but have been trialled and are not fast enough they are put down callously as their owners don't have to explain to GRV the disappearance of dogs that are not known to exist! Oh, and the greyhound themselves are trained on live lure where small animals are thrown into an enclosure amongst greyhounds and literally torn to shreds! Yes greyhound racing should be banned but people being as money hungry as they are.....this disgusting practice will never stop!

That is a GROSS generalisation. How many greyhound breeders/trainers do you know?

I am not in the feeble habit of making "gross generalisations".....and I do know quite a fair few greyhound breeders/trainers hence my comments about this "sport." How many do you know? and are you in a position of assuring everyone that I am indeed blowing things out of all proportions??? There is always the exception to the rule and I am the first to admit that there may be a few individuals that are doing the right thing but they are the exception and not the rule.

:):laugh:

Well this thread has been a crack up. I came in here to see if anyone was heading out with Nehkbet and instead get a good laugh.

First, it was the friend with the duck. I think the friend got lucky when the friendship was ended.

Then THIS lovely statement above about greyhound racing.

Growing up, my dad often went hunting (still does) and I even went out a couple of times... and dad would hunt and bring back food for the racing greyhounds (shock horror!) We had about 40 dogs on the property, most of them racing greys but some of them were the show team (cocker spaniels and english setters). We also had lots of cats to keep the numbers of rodents and snakes down.I guess this is the point that I say that my obviously 'rough around the edges' mother (and father) were both involved in the totally uncouth and crass world of ladies hairdressing. Yes, my platinum blonde and manicured mother owned racing greyhounds and was known to cut up roo and rabbit carcasses to feed her dogs. How terrible!

and the racing greys... what a horrible life they led!!! Topsy lived until she was 19 when she was humanely PTS because she couldn't stand up anymore and probably weighed about 15kg of skin and bone. My mother didn't have the heart to end her life earlier and probably let her go way too long. Then there are the others that were our house dogs and played with kittens. Oh, and just for fun, there's a photo attached of me with our ex-racing grey Tiger. He became a show dog when his racing career finished then he went to become another family's much loved pet.

Yes, all racing greyhound people are wicked and kill their failed racing dogs and all women involved in hunting are uncouth and rough around the edges and best to be avoided. How very dare they!?!

ETA: and there are more trainers/owners that are like this that I know of then the sort that you know. Maybe I just know the nice people.

Yep yep yep....I have heard all of the conglomerate excuses that people conjure up in order to hide their dirty ways. So Topsy lives to 19 years of age? you know only too well that that is the exception and not the rule! As you've said.....40 dogs on the property and most of them racing greyhounds.....Why such a large number of racing greyhounds? were they all beloved pets? please spare me the.....

As for you saying that my friend got lucky in my ending the friendship.....well, doesn't say much about the likes of you given that you are condoning the act of cutting a duck's neck with a pair of scissors.

I wish I had the photos of us as kids rolling around the paddock with a pack of greyhounds... or the photos of us in the car on the way to dog races with greyhounds sitting over the top of us. With one of our last greys (Benji) we used to sing a song to him everytime before he raced... "Dogs, Dogs, Dogs, Dogs all shapes and sizes, some do tricks like bringing back sticks, and some win the dog race prizes." We were convinced it was lucky. Then there was the time that I fell asleep in the car with four dogs around me and when my parents got home they didn't have the heart to wake us all up so the parked the car under the garage and let me sleep with the greyhounds for the night and brought me down a blanket. I woke up with greyhound cuddles. It was awesome.

Considering that we lived on 7 acres and there were 12 family members living on the property who all got involved, the dogs had lots of attention. I personally would spend every waking minute with the dogs (yes, they were in kennels but we let them out to play and romp and have fun and run around the paddock and be NORMAL). I was a dog mad kid and the dogs were well loved - whether greyhound or show dog it didn't matter. And you're right, there were 40 on the property but not all of them were racers. Lots of them were retired and living out their lives being loved and safe (those that we didn't rehome).

Topsy's age. Sure is an exception. I don't know many dogs of any breed that live that long!

I find your post insulting saying that my parents were covering up their "dirty" ways. Unless you've actually lived it, your not free to comment on the life that we or my dogs or my parents led because you would be wrong.

As for your friend. Cutting a head off is one thing, doing it with scissors is another. Amazing how you just suddenly add that integral fact to your posts :thumbsup:

As for the gun thing. Guns and children are bad when children don't learn respect. We were always taught respect for firearms and NEVER to play with guns. They aren't toys. How many country kids do you hear of having issues with shooting each other and carrying on like idiots? Not many... and I can tell you right now that most kids on properties use firearms or at least have been taught respect for them.

Seriously, you're just trolling in this thread. Why on earth you'd come in here and make such seemingly narrow minded comments is beyond me unless you think it's entertaining. And to insult people's parents is just way below the belt.

I think THAT is uncouth, crass and rough around the edges and shows absolutley nothing ladylike about yourself at all.

Gosh what a coincidence.

I was reading through this thread and decided to look up ferreting on youtube. Then my partners mum comes up the stairs and asked me if I wanted some rabbit for tea. The timing was great! Haha. I've never actually been offered rabbit before, so I said I'd try some.

Seriously, who cares. Surely you can get your kicks from other means other than making people feel bad about themselves.

Its one thing to make all these absurd statements but when you can't even use basic grammar I think its just ridiculous, so get back in your box.

I am going to hell in a handbasket!

Shooting from age 10

Spotlight person when shooting roo's, rabbits and foxes since about the same

Hunt Rabbit with the Whippets

Raise and breed Beef Cattle

AND

Fill my freezer with home grown beef!

One small concession .........I rarely wear a skirt!

I do however tag and band my own calves, I pull calves that are stuck and one of the best vets I have had out for creature large and small is a woman!

I love ferrets but have never owned one. I would like someone to come ferreing out her as there are thousands of them and I do not like to use poison as I have seen baby birds eat the poisoned grain.

Anyone near me (which I doubt) that wants to go ferreting is more than welcome. Just not at this time of year as we have lots of snakes, message me!

Thankyou to all the knowledgable people who have contributed I have found it very interesting between the crap and hope you have a great time ferreting!

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I dont know how I managed to miss this thread until now :laugh:

Anybody interested in doing some ferreting in the Adelaide Hills please let me know. The bunny population on my property is okay at the moment but I know some warrens nearby on a neighbouring property which the farmer would allow to be ferreted as he has let me hunt there with my dogs previously.

I haven't seen ferrets at work for years but I enjoy watching any animal doing what it is bred for and a good ferret is worth its weight in gold, I had hunting dogs for many years and only a couple of years ago lost the last of my big Staghounds, she was from a coursing line of dogs and she was the most efficiant bunny hunter I have ever had the joy to watch.

I would rather eat meat that has come from a hunting expedition than an abbatoir killed beast any day :laugh:

yes its been a hoot hasnt it, learned stuff i wish i had known when i still had my lot. keep it stored in case another wanders into my life again.

the first i discovered at a pet stall in penrith markets. so skinny no one wanted her n even her owner thought she was going to die, he couldnt fatten her up. so muggins came home with her n discovered she ADORED milk n egg yolk. never looked back after that.

he sure was stunned to see her only 2 months later.

the second girl i ended up with because my first girl came into season and in the search for a boy to put her too rather than loose her, arrived at the owners house just in time to hear him tell his wife to "get the gun as hed have to shoot her. she's too squirmy to ring her neck ."

sooo muggins asks whats the problem n gets given the most stunning pure white girl with an apalling case of what he called footrot.

rang hubbies vet mates and a good soaking in diesel daily and bingo... 3 months later svelte ferret with equally svelte toes n nails.

amazing stuff diesel oil?