Family's Beloved Rottweiler Wakes Up After Being Put To Sleep With

Burkes

Daily Mail - 14 October 2010

The dog who wouldn't die: Family's beloved Rottweiler wakes up after being put to sleep with TWO injections

Putting down a much-loved family pet is every family's nightmare, just ask Matt Olivarez.

He said a tearful goodbye to his 10-year-old Rottweiler Mia and watched the vet inject her twice with a lethal cocktail of drugs.

Matt brought home the body in a blanket so the family could bury her the next day...but hours later he found she was ALIVE and wanted a bowl of food.

Olivarez, from Redford, Michigan, said: 'For her to just wake up the next morning is very crazy. I watch scary movies. It was like a scene from Pet Sematary.'

Now Mia, who suffers from severe spinal problems and is in so much pain she is unable to walk, may have to be put down for the second time after beating the death sentence.

Matt's mother told the WXYZ-7 News website: 'Mia is a very special girl. She protected me when a pitbull came in my yard and tried to bite me.

'She protected my grandson when he was one-and-a-half years old from going out in the street by holding him by his T-shirt.

'And with her dying breath she tried to protect my son when the doctor came close to him to give HER her shot!

'OMG, how much more must we endure!! I don’t know what to do or what to tell my grandsons. We love her so much we just can’t stand to see her suffer.

'But we are to afraid to put her down again This is going to give us nightmares for a long time.'

The vet declined to comment about Mia because he wants to verify it’s the same dog, according to the website.

When told about his response, the grandmother said: 'How many rots are paralyzed in there hind quarters and living at the same address!

'I wish they would tell me to my face that is not our Mia. Just can't admit they messed up and now they're going to have the nerve to add insult to injury.'

Edited by Burkes

Any vet worth a pinch of salt, euthin'g any animal, will ensure as the very last thing they do, that the heart has indeed stopped. It's not a miracle, it's a cock up on the vets part with an incorrect/accidental choice of drug to euth with, a gross underestimation of what was required and certainly a failure to cheeck that the animal was indeed dead.

As ReadySetGo said a monumental screw up. A dogs should not leave the room until it's heart has stopped.

I feel very sorry for those poor owners, now they have to go through such anguish twice. Not only that seeing a dog that was supposed to be euthed and was standing there alive and hungry - awful.

I hope ASPCA investigate this vet it sounds like a HUGE cock up on his behalve :):(:laugh: , I hope this old girl didnt suffer too much, but I hate to think!

I hope she finally makes a peaceful and pain free journey to rainbow bridge so she can finally rest in peace :rofl:

Sounds as if somebody didnt do their math too well when deciding how much to give .....

That poor guy, and I agree with him, I dont think I could go through that again.

She has terrible spinal problems and cant walk, I would be looking at massage and physio and chiro, and a nice warm bed, and staying right away from vets needles for a while.

Hugs for Mia and her owners :)

• 2 weeks later...