Would You Warn Breeders?

HeavyPaws

Two of my relatives have made the {bad} decision to buy a puppy. Thanks to the recent puppy milling ads, they've done research and absolutely will NOT buy from anyone but a registered, responsible breeder. That's the only plus in this entire story.

They're set on a particular breed, will not consider anything else. They love the unique look of the breed and won't sway from it. All my suggestions for more energy-suitable dogs were met with big "no, no way, it HAS to be....."

At this point in their lives, I know a puppy wouldn't be the best thing for them.

They've just declared their second bankruptcy and are thinking of selling their house to pay their debts off. They have no money at all, I've loaned them $2000 just this year so they could pay their bills and eat.

Yet they desperately want a puppy, and when I brought up the money issue, outlining all the costs of a dog, they said they'd just lie to the breeder they chose and make them think they had plenty of money.

The breed they've chosen is fairly cheap, and they've scraped together money to buy the puppy straight out, but they admit freely they won't have the money to desex, vaccinate, go to training or buy reasonable food.

My question is.

If you knew someone who would be an absolutely horrible choice for a puppy, who was planning on lying to a breeder regarding their level of ability to care for a puppy, would you call/email the breeders of that breed and let them know not to sell to the people of that name?

Or is it one of those things you just shrug and say "Well, nothing I can do" and let them and the puppy suffer for their lie?

If you knew someone who would be an absolutely horrible choice for a puppy, who was planning on lying to a breeder regarding their level of ability to care for a puppy, would you call/email the breeders of that breed and let them know not to sell to the people of that name?

Or is it one of those things you just shrug and say "Well, nothing I can do" and let them and the puppy suffer for their lie?

It's not just them and the puppy who will suffer.

I'd be more inclined to think of the breeder, who has hopefully put their heart and soul into bringing this puppy into the world. It would be heartbreaking for them to realise later on what a bad decision they've made in puppy buyers.

I'd like to think I'd warn the breeder, but I've fortunately never been in your position.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yep, I would do it, and so would the majority. Most of the breed lists contain the names of people who are black listed, and reasons for it, so other breeders can decide - and most of them decide not to sell.

The dogs need some protection too. Breeders try, and the more information they have, the better it is for the dogs.

If it was a breed where I knew the breeders fairly well, then definitely. If it was a breed I wasn't so sure about, I'd find someone who does know the breed and check with them what the best course of action is. But I'd be more likely to tell breeders than not, I think.

If they cannot even manage to pay for vaccinations and desexing.....can they actually afford to pay for food? or will the dog have to go without here and there? I know that if I were breeding I would want to know as much as possible about a new home for the puppies that I would be bringing into the world. As others have said....perhaps the breeder in this case may prove grateful or the complete opposite....but at least you have done your bit, here's hoping that the breeder in question will keep the information to her/himself and not repeat what they are told...

I dunno to be honest. This is a tricky situation not only because it involves family.

I knew a couple who I didn't think should get a dog, or any pet for that matter, due to financial restrictions and their apparent lack of understanding.

However, they got a dog anyway and he is beautifully loved and cared for even though they really couldnt afford the dog so you just dont know. You could be causing the dog to miss out on a fantastic home. (likely not but you just dont know).

=I ould never afford pets when I first started getting them, but I got them anyway and they always received everything they needed even it if meant we went without something.

The good thing is they want a good breeder so hopefully that person will ask the right questions etc and get a feel for them. Also, if they want a good breeder then they can't be that bad or else they just go to a mill or BYB

Sorry to the OP , but these people you are writing about sound like prize d*ckheads and , if anything, should be banned from ever owning a dog. If they can't meet the needs of a puppy in feeding it good quality food plus getting its very important vaccinations.......then they definitely need to be stopped from getting one (if that's at all possible)

I agree with everyone else........ring the breeder/s and tell them the people in question are not suitable owners. :eek: