Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

A salesman at a show who sells BH told us that it now goes to a single distributor and then goes to stores which is why the inrease in price...I could get straight from Sherel for $75, we found it for cash only in melb for $80 now our local groomer in Kyneton has it and we had to pay $99 for it...bullshit as it has now taken it out of our pricerange. Unless I get it from the show guy who said he wont be putting his up. So well done Sherel for taking a great product out of the reach of an average family budget.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Shazzapug

i think you should have asked before you place blame

BlackHawk has been on the market for 4 years but more readily available in the last 3 years, we have not had a price rise to the consumer in 4 years we have absorbed all the price rises ourselves, but it became unrealitic for us to continue to take the rise, not only in raw materials (two price rises), but manufacture costs (electricity etc) then on top of that freight with fuel prices, just a few of the rises,

To set the record straight out of all of the above we only passed on a $5 per bag price increase so if anyone tries to tell you any different then its not true, we have a suggested retail price we can not make retailers stick to that, i am not sure who the salesman is that told you it goes to a single distributor again not true, there are three wholesale distributors, and we still service our exsisting customers,

And the price rise is effective to these customers from the 1st of June 2012. we gave them 2 months notice.

Think about it if the show guy isnt putting his price up ?? then why are you blaming me for your groomer in Kyneton charging $99 ? we only supply one store in Kyneton i am not sure if this is your groomer ? again we cannot tell them what to charge only suggest,

So again the only price rise from BlackHawk is $5 per bag, we will always absorb as much as we can, we want BlackHawk to remain high quaility and affordable,

Happy for you to PM me the Kyneton name,

If your not at a show Nicholas is 30 minutes from Kyneton,

Regards

Sherel

A salesman at a show who sells BH told us that it now goes to a single distributor and then goes to stores which is why the inrease in price...I could get straight from Sherel for $75, we found it for cash only in melb for $80 now our local groomer in Kyneton has it and we had to pay $99 for it...bullshit as it has now taken it out of our pricerange. Unless I get it from the show guy who said he wont be putting his up. So well done Sherel for taking a great product out of the reach of an average family budget.

Edited by collies02

Hi Cavstar

i am not sure who your supplier is,

but as i have mentioned there is only a $5 per 20kg bag rise for BlackHawk from the 1 st of June 2012

i have sent you a PM

Regards

Sherel

Has anyone else heard that BlackHawk have announced a price rise from the 1st June due to them not being able to absorb any more raw material increases?

The supplier I get it from is bumping it up $15 for a 20kg bag for adults dog.

Hi TLC

Thats one cute bunch of kids

Sherel

It was great today to be able to walk into one of our local pet food stores and grab a bag of Black hawk, I grabbed a bag of cat food while I was there too, my Birman is thriving on it and even the old girl Holly (20 yrs old) has had a nibble and she doesnt do kibble anymore. :laugh:

fa39b8a1.jpg

Just posted this pic on Facebook and had a FB friend ask where I got it price etc and said how health my dogs always look! :thumbsup:

Thanks Sherel, we think so! They are all going great guns on the food. Our local charges $80 which I am happy to pay, I'm guessing they will charge the extra $5 when the time comes and that's fine too. It still makes it a great food at a reasonable price for my lot! :thumbsup:

Apologies if this has been answered, it's a long thread and I haven't been through it all.

Has anyone had any issues with feeding BH?

Only asking as I recently trialled it for a little while with my lot. Found they needed far more than recommended to hold weight, which was ok I suppose, but expensive! Mostly ok as they really seemed to like it so were happy to scoff it down. And yes, poo output was slightly reduced which was nice when picking up!

But I had skin issues to an extent I have never seen. Only once have I had had a rash on one of mine, when feeding Pedigree for a week. That was it.

These recent skin rashes have only gone away since taking them off BH. I also had the dirtiest teeth and worst breath I have had from them on it, with my less than 1yr old pups having dirty teeth and bad breath within a month of being on it. This I have also never seen in my dogs.

Are these common issues? Can they be overcome by adding raw etc? Or are they highly unusual? I have held off asking as it seems to be so popular, and I certainly don't want to be critical for no reason, but am genuinely interested.

My dogs have all picked up condition, cleared up nagging skin rashes, and improved dental health since coming off BH and going back on a far cheaper brand.

I will add that not all my dogs are related, so I didn't think any reaction was necessarily a family sensitivity.

Edited by Alyosha

Hi Shazzapug

i think you should have asked before you place blame

BlackHawk has been on the market for 4 years but more readily available in the last 3 years, we have not had a price rise to the consumer in 4 years we have absorbed all the price rises ourselves, but it became unrealitic for us to continue to take the rise, not only in raw materials (two price rises), but manufacture costs (electricity etc) then on top of that freight with fuel prices, just a few of the rises,

To set the record straight out of all of the above we only passed on a $5 per bag price increase so if anyone tries to tell you any different then its not true, we have a suggested retail price we can not make retailers stick to that, i am not sure who the salesman is that told you it goes to a single distributor again not true, there are three wholesale distributors, and we still service our exsisting customers,

And the price rise is effective to these customers from the 1st of June 2012. we gave them 2 months notice.

Think about it if the show guy isnt putting his price up ?? then why are you blaming me for your groomer in Kyneton charging $99 ? we only supply one store in Kyneton i am not sure if this is your groomer ? again we cannot tell them what to charge only suggest,

So again the only price rise from BlackHawk is $5 per bag, we will always absorb as much as we can, we want BlackHawk to remain high quaility and affordable,

Happy for you to PM me the Kyneton name,

If your not at a show Nicholas is 30 minutes from Kyneton,

Regards

Sherel

The showy implied he got it direct from you...our Kyneton groomer was $95 last week when we asked him the price and went in today and it was $99. I dont go to shows often enough to buy from the showy guy. I will PM you. :)

So you're happy to be really rude based on the say-so of one guy who has a commercial interest in you buying from him and nonome else? Why not ask a question before launching a public attack on someone.

Apologies if this has been answered, it's a long thread and I haven't been through it all.

Only asking as I recently trialled it for a little while with my lot. Found they needed far more than recommended to hold weight, which was ok I suppose, but expensive! Mostly ok as they really seemed to like it so were happy to scoff it down. And yes, poo output was slightly reduced which was nice when picking up!

But I had skin issues to an extent I have never seen. Only once have I had had a rash on one of mine, when feeding Pedigree for a week. That was it.

These recent skin rashes have only gone away since taking them off BH. I also had the dirtiest teeth and worst breath I have had from them on it, with my less than 1yr old pups having dirty teeth and bad breath within a month of being on it. This I have also never seen in my dogs.

Are these common issues? Can they be overcome by adding raw etc? Or are they highly unusual? I have held off asking as it seems to be so popular, and I certainly don't want to be critical for no reason, but am genuinely interested.

My dogs have all picked up condition, cleared up nagging skin rashes, and improved dental health since coming off BH and going back on a far cheaper brand.

I will add that not all my dogs are related, so I didn't think any reaction was necessarily a family sensitivity.

Iv just had to take one of my guys off black hawk as he was chewing himself to bits.. He feet were red raw also from chewing.. Over the last 4 weeks i have cut out this cut out that.. went back to it, to see it he would start again.. and within an hour of feeding him he was red raw again.. since the change to other diet he has been great.. All the others r on it n are doing great...But i do find it puts weight on my guys but other then that its a great food wont stop me from buying it!

So you're happy to be really rude based on the say-so of one guy who has a commercial interest in you buying from him and nonome else? Why not ask a question before launching a public attack on someone.

I think paying $99 for 20kgs is far cheaper then whats out there!

Ive also had this happen, itchy pup and biting at herself like mad, im feeding a half BH half prolan at the moment and i think (i think) the itching and biting have reduced somewhat. Im not sure if i should open the new bag i brought in advance when i was down in Sydney cause its impossible to get out in Central West NSW, but then if i dont open it im not sure what to do.....

On the other hand as you guys are saying #2's where smaller when only on BH and she was less hungry....so i dont know what to do

I looked at some new food called Earthborn Holistic at pet stock the other day, just out of curiosity, it was their opening week and they had specials and trial packs etc. I had never seen only heard about this food so i asked the guy about it. he seemed to know what he was talking about and sounded very knowledgeable he said it was the number one best food on the market ingredient wise for dogs and was the bees knees. The cost around $80 for 6 kilos. I asked him what he knew about black hawk and he admitted he didn't know anything about black hawk but he called it a mid range food, his words "better than supermarket, but not as good as food like science diet, eagle pack, nutro etc" I told him I knew heaps of people who feed it and most have found it fabulous food. He certainly wasn't denying it was good food but he was really talking up this earthborn, probably because there is such a mark up in it.

I told him a couple of mine were fussy with food and they all ate Blackhawk with gusto and he said "Im not saying they do but some dog food are covered in a layer of fat after it is made to make it tastier" :eek: I told him as the lady (Sherel) developed this food for her own dogs I did not think that was the case!!

It is interesting the amount of talk there is about Black Hawk. Thanks Sherel for popping into this thread from time to time to keep us updated.

Alyosha, I have all 4 of mine on BH and all doing well. My girl who used to have the itches (the vet thought from grasses etc) now has no itches. Two of mine are hard to keep trim and I find I have to feed only small amounts of BH or they put weight on. My guys teeth are probably not as clean as they could be but I thought it was more because they don't have enough bones. All in all I have found it great to feed.

I had to take my guys off it too :( they loved it especially Coco but it didn't suit them. They were itchy all the time and smelt really bad. Coco's eyes were also leaking a lot as soon as I took her off it the eyes stoppped leaking and she stopped scratching. It is ashame I was hoping to get the results that others have had too. Now to find another brand I can feed all dogs.

I guess that it would be an allergic response and if it is different dogs may well be allergic to different things so it wouldn't be as simple as just removing it and then the itching would stop.

Thankfully mine have had no itching and I hope it stays that way as they love it.

My name is Cathy & I live in Bathurst NSW. I am a distributor of Black Hawke Premium Petfoods in conjunction with Hawkesbury Petfoods Sydney & can provide samples or product at the Bathurst & District KC Shows tomorrow Saturday 12/5/12 & Sunday 13/5/12 or anytime simply by phoning my Mobile 0413 684 701. 20kg Bags of Adult are $85, 3kg $23. 20kg Puppy & Cat $90. There will be a price rise as of 1st June.

Edited by Crystaleye

I have 3 out of 4 dogs on BH. Those 3 are really doing well on it. The 4th one, well it just goes straight through and we have a lot of cowpats. We just feed that one another brand of dry. Very happy with BH. :thumbsup: And it is still cheaper than the other great drys :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys. I was really disappointed, as they just loved it and it put weight on them which I'm often trying to do with some of mine.

But the skin was bad, one bitch who has never had so much as a spot in her life lost the coat along her whole topline, in a sticky, itchy mess. It came out in scary handfuls and she was bald from neck to tail. It cleared up and settled with topical treatment, Malaseb baths. But my unrelated male had the same thing on a smaller scale, the whole time he was on it. Whenever one area was cleared up it would break out in another.

Sigh... Back to trying to get weight on the youngsters by other means...

Thanks for the replies guys. I was really disappointed, as they just loved it and it put weight on them which I'm often trying to do with some of mine.

But the skin was bad, one bitch who has never had so much as a spot in her life lost the coat along her whole topline, in a sticky, itchy mess. It came out in scary handfuls and she was bald from neck to tail. It cleared up and settled with topical treatment, Malaseb baths. But my unrelated male had the same thing on a smaller scale, the whole time he was on it. Whenever one area was cleared up it would break out in another.

Sigh... Back to trying to get weight on the youngsters by other means...

Alyosha. ....I am sorry the BH didn't work out for your guys, but I am a little confused because on the previous page you said quote "Found they needed far more than recommended to hold weight" & now you are saying that it put weight on them. Not all foods suit all dogs. My two Border collies have been on this food now for most of their lives & they continue to do well & look great with no itches & plenty of energy as well as a steady weight. Are your dogs the same breed...then maybe it is not suitable for your breed of dog...just a thought. For every dog that it doesn't suit, there is probably a hundred or more out there that is benefiting from BH. Unfortunately we only hear about the negatives as the people who have positives about the product have well & truly exhausted their praise :)

Yep. Sorry, should have clarified. Yes it put weight on them, but at more than double the recommended feeding rate. Which was a little surprising. Mine aren't too active. The benefit being that they liked the taste so much they would eat more of it, so I could increase their weight. Whereas normally they will eat until they feel a little full and stop, with BH they would eat as much as they were given.

Not that economics are a primary consideration when feeding, but when you have multiple large dogs it is still something to consider. And we needed lots...

I don't know about only hearing the negatives, as I'd never eard anything but good about BH. Surely people don't report the smaller negatives you would never know? I was reluctant to even ask about skin and dental issues as I think it's such a great initiative and Australian product.

Yes mine are all the same breed - Borzoi. They do habitually do better on slightly different feeds to many breeds, in my experience they don't tolerate high quality protien and low fat such as roo meat, doing better on lamb or similar. They carry low body fat but enjoy cold weather which burns fat, so a higher intake suits them.

I feed mine working formulas in other brands of dry.