Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Yep. Sorry, should have clarified. Yes it put weight on them, but at more than double the recommended feeding rate. Which was a little surprising. Mine aren't too active. The benefit being that they liked the taste so much they would eat more of it, so I could increase their weight. Whereas normally they will eat until they feel a little full and stop, with BH they would eat as much as they were given.

Not that economics are a primary consideration when feeding, but when you have multiple large dogs it is still something to consider. And we needed lots...

I don't know about only hearing the negatives, as I'd never eard anything but good about BH. Surely people don't report the smaller negatives you would never know? I was reluctant to even ask about skin and dental issues as I think it's such a great initiative and Australian product.

Yes mine are all the same breed - Borzoi. They do habitually do better on slightly different feeds to many breeds, in my experience they don't tolerate high quality protien and low fat such as roo meat, doing better on lamb or similar. They carry low body fat but enjoy cold weather which burns fat, so a higher intake suits them.

I feed mine working formulas in other brands of dry.

Yeah...probably not a good idea to double the recommended amount because then you are doubling up on everything & that is probably one of the reasons why you were having trouble. My dogs would eat it all day long too, if I let them, they just love it so much. It's interesting how different breeds tolerate or need different feeds. My two large, very active BC's don't even get the recommended rate. What other feeds have you found that they do well on & what other dry feeds have you tried that didn't work?? It has me interested :) Have you tried Bonnie Working Dog?? Have you tried supplementing their dry with something like lamb flaps which is fairly high in fat.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have Coprice Working. They have had Bonnie as well which suits them, and we use Bonnie for pups up to six months old.

Yes they have raw with their kibble, lamb when available or chicken.

The only other time I had a rash on one of them was when I couldn't get Coprice and they had Pedigree working for a few days.

So if they had the recommended amount they were losing weight, yet increasing intake is going to cause problems, seems a bit of an impass.

The bitch with the exceptional reaction had that while eating the recommended amount, before they started dropping weight and had amounts increased. They did a two week changeover period and she broke out after the frst week of being fully on BH.

Being sighthounds, they aren't overly active. They get a half hour stroll every day, and a free gallop a couple of times a week. Otherwise they pretty much sleep. They might run about and play for a little bit morning and night, but next to nothing compered to active working breeds.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Edited by Alyosha

I also had not heard anything but good reports about BH thats why i changed Abbey over to it. But like Alyosha's dog, Abbey is just tearing her back appart, with the itching and the biting, turning her coat sticky and dull, poor little thing. She was so itchy that when we would go for a walk she would have to stop and have a itch at every corner or throw herself down on any patch or grass she could find to rub her back. It's is a real shame cause she really loves the BH, I've put her back on proplan which is what she was on when we got her and she isnt nearly as excieted. Shes been off the BH for nearly a week now and the itchy and biting has nearly stoped. She was scratching so much that i took her to the vet to see if there was anything else going on, but appart from her skin going really dry there wasnt any other problems.

I have an Italian Greyhound who is very prone to diet born skin issues and he has not had a problem at all with Black Hawk :). I really do think it's a superior food to other Australian made, preservative free dry food on the market and am so pleased that it is readily available in SA now!

I have an Italian Greyhound who is very prone to diet born skin issues and he has not had a problem at all with Black Hawk :). I really do think it's a superior food to other Australian made, preservative free dry food on the market and am so pleased that it is readily available in SA now!

Yep its just one of those things - it suits some but not others. My greys did fantastically on it but Oscar the iggy got anal gland issues... They are all on Eagle Pack at the moment but the greys have lost weight (and Patch won't eat more to make up for it). So I will be putting the greys back on BH and leaving Oscar on Eagle Pack.

Hi,

Im wondering if I can get sample packs of BH to try before I commit to buying it? because I cant just go to my local city famers & grab a bag of it, so I dont want to spend a heap on postage only to find they hate it.

I am feeding Royal Canin at the moment, which is great, but I wouldnt mind giving BH a go, seeing as people rave over it.

I did try eagle pack but my boy wouldnt touch it, so I was able to return it to better pets & gardens for a refund, thankfully, as paying a lot of $ for a food they wont touch is painful on the hip pocket.

Any distributors in WA do samples?

Hi,

Im wondering if I can get sample packs of BH to try before I commit to buying it? because I cant just go to my local city famers & grab a bag of it, so I dont want to spend a heap on postage only to find they hate it.

I am feeding Royal Canin at the moment, which is great, but I wouldnt mind giving BH a go, seeing as people rave over it.

I did try eagle pack but my boy wouldnt touch it, so I was able to return it to better pets & gardens for a refund, thankfully, as paying a lot of $ for a food they wont touch is painful on the hip pocket.

Drop Sherel a line at here. I am pretty sure she is still sending samples out :)

We will be at the Port Macquarie Agility trial this weekend & will have some samples of Adult Formula with us, if anybody wants one. We can't take any more orders with us though as we are full up, but remember we can courier it to you for $10 if you miss out. :)

Hi,

Drop Sherel a line at here. I am pretty sure she is still sending samples out :)

thx, will do :thumbsup:

I currently use Nutro Lite for our seniors here but I'm quite interested in trying the Black Hawk. Two questions - what exactly is the content of the 'lamb meal' which is listed as the first ingredient, and can you tell me when the light variety will be available :)

Has anyone used the auto-delivery option on the Paws for Life website to get their Black Hawk delivered?

Hi CBL<

I am the distributor for the NSW South Coast, covering your area. I can arrange for overnight delivery of Black Hawk to your door for $7. If you wish to contact me please do.Email me Ph : 44230840 or mobile 0403235669

We've just finished our first 3kg bag of Black Hawk Puppy (it was our will she eat it trial)and by we I mean Sami has eaten it, I've just dished it out :)

WOW what a difference it's made to her. Her allergies seem more under control and her Mastcell tumors are about a quarter of the size that they were and her coat is softer, she's always had very spiky stiff hair (she's a little stafford) now it's not velvet but it's smooth and a real pleasure to pat snuggle up with.

I'm going to up the ante now and buy the large bag since this test has gone so well.

We've just finished our first 3kg bag of Black Hawk Puppy (it was our will she eat it trial)and by we I mean Sami has eaten it, I've just dished it out :)

WOW what a difference it's made to her. Her allergies seem more under control and her Mastcell tumors are about a quarter of the size that they were and her coat is softer, she's always had very spiky stiff hair (she's a little stafford) now it's not velvet but it's smooth and a real pleasure to pat snuggle up with.

I'm going to up the ante now and buy the large bag since this test has gone so well.

^^ That's so great to hear! We had similar imporvements with our Stafford pup too. He has the lovliest coat and a lot less allergies. He's on to the big boy adult one now!

Has anyone used the auto-delivery option on the Paws for Life website to get their Black Hawk delivered?

Hi CBL<

I am the distributor for the NSW South Coast, covering your area. I can arrange for overnight delivery of Black Hawk to your door for $7. If you wish to contact me please do.Email me Ph : 44230840 or mobile 0403235669

Thanks Belinda

I am trying the auto-delivery (as I am useless at remembering to order) but if that doesn't work I will give you a call.

Guest english.ivy

Today I drove about an hour to buy BH from a stock food/pet store in Mundaring and it was easy as. The lady who served me and carried the bag to my car was chuffed to see Ivy as she has a Belgian Shepherd too!

Ended up buying a 3kg bag of feline, going to try my cat on it again while I have a bit of the other food to slowly switch her. Tried her about a year ago but she got the runs :( Maybe she needs a really slow switch over. Even with the price hike, it will still be a superior food for a great low price.

Over 18 months since Ivy started on BH and she's looking fantastic. Converting a friends Belgian over to BH too, so far she's going good. Indie prefers small kibble, so she's loving BH and will pick the BH out of the other dry.

Hopefully over time we will have a BH stockist for everyone north of the river or maybe over time I will become one :)

Guest english.ivy

I currently use Nutro Lite for our seniors here but I'm quite interested in trying the Black Hawk. Two questions - what exactly is the content of the 'lamb meal' which is listed as the first ingredient, and can you tell me when the light variety will be available :)

If I was you I would contact Black Hawk direct and I'm sure they will happily answer these questions. As far as I know they are trialing a lite? Plus a chicken based food.

I will buy the lite for my two Labs when it is available.