Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

I have just bought some today.

I know the label on the packet says 200gr/day for weight for my dogs.

I am changing from Advance (getting waaaay too expensive, even getting it wholesale @ $93/bag) so have mixed it through to change them over.. to limit stomach upsets.

Has anyone else changed from Advance - BH? and if so, did anyone else pick up on dogs squirting etc during the change over. I have a pregnant bitch here who I have placed onto puppy and is living inside... due to ticks outside.

I have found with other products, you never seem to need to feed what is on the label, generally less. Have anyone else found the same with this?

I swapped from Advance (and Advance Active) to BH and didn't have any ill effects from changing, I swapped for the same reasons Advance was getting expensive when I had to buy different varieties but with BH I can feed the same type just different amounts. I changed pretty much cold turkey too.

I feed heaps less as well! They recommend 2-3 cups for my 15kg girl and 3-4 cups for the boys (20kg & 22kg), if I was feeding them that they would be obese and yet they are extremely active and the two youngest do flyball and agility. My youngest boy who I struggled with keeping weight on and was on Advance Active as it was the only food who would stop him looking like skin and bones only gets about 2 cups if that. I fed my oldest boy the same amount as Advance but he put weight on so had to cut that back and he is back too his usual weight.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had no trouble switching my shelties over from Advance to BH and believe me, it doesn't take much to upset tummies in a couple of mine. They have been on BH for over six months now and love it. One of the girls will have to be cut back a bit as she is getting quite tubby :)

I am changing from Advance (getting waaaay too expensive, even getting it wholesale @ $93/bag) so have mixed it through to change them over.. to limit stomach upsets.

Has anyone else changed from Advance - BH? and if so, did anyone else pick up on dogs squirting etc during the change over. I have a pregnant bitch here who I have placed onto puppy and is living inside... due to ticks outside.

I have found with other products, you never seem to need to feed what is on the label, generally less. Have anyone else found the same with this?

I swapped from Advance (and Advance Active) to BH and didn't have any ill effects from changing, I swapped for the same reasons Advance was getting expensive when I had to buy different varieties but with BH I can feed the same type just different amounts. I changed pretty much cold turkey too.

I feed heaps less as well! They recommend 2-3 cups for my 15kg girl and 3-4 cups for the boys (20kg & 22kg), if I was feeding them that they would be obese and yet they are extremely active and the two youngest do flyball and agility. My youngest boy who I struggled with keeping weight on and was on Advance Active as it was the only food who would stop him looking like skin and bones only gets about 2 cups if that. I fed my oldest boy the same amount as Advance but he put weight on so had to cut that back and he is back too his usual weight.

Thank you for answering my question. I am presuming "They" (Highlighted in bold) are Black Hawk?

I started my boy on 2 cups of BH, will monitor his weight and adjust as necesary. The girl is on 1 cup.

The pregnant one is eating what she feels she needs. She is not a stupid eater, so is pacing herself pretty good. About 2-3 cups a day.

Yeah sorry, they means Black Hawk :)

I am happy with my choice too change over as the dogs appearance and general health has remained the same but my bank balance is healthier for it, so hopefully you are as happy with changing over as well!

Thank you for answering my question. I am presuming "They" (Highlighted in bold) are Black Hawk?

I started my boy on 2 cups of BH, will monitor his weight and adjust as necesary. The girl is on 1 cup.

The pregnant one is eating what she feels she needs. She is not a stupid eater, so is pacing herself pretty good. About 2-3 cups a day.

Tollersowned........

I am away from home at present so I don't have the BH bag in front of me....but I am sure the info doesn't state this large amount (in bold). I thought I gave my two about what they recommend which is one cup for an 18 kilo BC & 1 1/2 cups for the 23 kilo boy. Maybe a good idea to weigh out what they recommend & then convert it to cups. I will have a look when I get home, but this amount seems way out :eek:

I also don't feed what it says on the bag, my 6 month old labrador pup gets 1 cup in morning and 1 cup at night plus 50gm meat. She might get a bit more in her kong wobbler during the day but it seems to keep. Her quite full unlike eucanuba which she was still screaming for food after 1 & 1/2 cups morning and night. I think it's more seeing how your dog responds, if he/she isnt putting on heaps of weight or looking too skinny just amend your quantities.

Edited by Tara8430

I am only going by the website I buy my food off and I was doing the top end of the weights so 15-20 for my 15kg girl - http://www.aussieagility.com.au/black_hawk/bh_adult.htm

I don't have a bag handy either but the actual website says the same grams but nothing in cups, so maybe the conversion was a bit off or what? :shrug:

I think their conversion might be a bit out :eek: Recommendation for a 15 kilo dog is 150 g or just over 1 cup max & for a 20 kilo dog 200g or just under two cups maximum & this would be if they were completely on BH with no other food. My 18 kilo BC gets just 1 cup & the 23 kilo BC gets 1 1/2 cups & they are very active & maintain their weight perfectly. They get some other stuff as well.

I am only going by the website I buy my food off and I was doing the top end of the weights so 15-20 for my 15kg girl - http://www.aussieagility.com.au/black_hawk/bh_adult.htm

I don't have a bag handy either but the actual website says the same grams but nothing in cups, so maybe the conversion was a bit off or what? :shrug:

I think their conversion might be a bit out :eek: Recommendation for a 15 kilo dog is 150 g or just over 1 cup max & for a 20 kilo dog 200g or just under two cups maximum & this would be if they were completely on BH with no other food. My 18 kilo BC gets just 1 cup & the 23 kilo BC gets 1 1/2 cups & they are very active & maintain their weight perfectly. They get some other stuff as well.

Hi guys, I have been looking at foods to switch my boy Rusty. My concern is that on Eukanuba he is pooing 2-3 times a day, with 2 being within the first half hour on the walk. He gets a 2km hike a day, and is fed 2 cups with sometimes added canned food about twice a week, and I am told this is too much. However he is quite skinny, or lean. I just don't think Eukanuba is maintaining his weight as good as it does with my other 2. As BH is quite high quality, and great on the wallet, I was hoping maybe BH users could tell me more about it :thanks:

I also don't feed what it says on the bag, My 3 year old golden retriever Shelley gets 2 tablespoons of raw minced meat or a turkey wing in the morning. Then at night she gets 3/4 cup of black hawk. Buddy my 13 year old GR gets 2 tablespoons of raw minced meat or a turkey wing in the morning, at night he gets 1 1/4 cup of black hawk. Missy my 9 month old whippet gets 1 cup of raw minced meat or a turkey wing in the morning,at night she gets 3/4 cup of black hawk. Rascal my 6 year old chihuahua gets teaspoon and half of raw minced meat or a chicken neck in the morning, at night he gets 20grams of black hawk.

Thumbs up to Lucky Pet for sorting out my shipping cost problem, I really appreciate it!

Sherel - let me know if there's anything i can do on my end to help get Black Hawk to the NT - very good at nagging shops etc :laugh:

Edited by NOCTRL

I am glad just that websites conversion is out otherwise there would be some fat dogs running around!

Either way I still don't feed the recommended amount even on the days they get just BH :)

if this is your dog's first introduction to BH, then i do suggest a larger mix of their current with a small amount of BH and slowly, over several days, lessen the quantity of old and increase the quantity of BH --- standard rules i think with any change in diet when it comes to dogs :)

when i run out of BH and have to substitute with another dry food my dogs experience GI upset [despite the slow intro] but thankfully, they transition really well back onto BH with little to no upset whatsoever and i don't even have to mix the substituted dry with the BH to reintroduce it!

Already said I had mixed old with new and introducing gradually.

oh! firstly, my apologies for the offence :)

secondly, i looked back at the post i'd read ...

I am changing from Advance ... so have mixed it through to change them over.. to limit stomach upsets.

Has anyone else changed from Advance - BH? and if so, did anyone else pick up on dogs squirting etc during the change over. ...

...and i couldn't see where you'd actually said *that*...

so, i graciously provided my personal knowledge and experience on that basis :)

again, sorry for the offence and i hope you find that bh is the right food for your dog/s.

Just after the 3kg trial size, I can get it from Pets Pantry for $19.95 with postage being $22. Is there anywhere I can get with cheaper postage?

I would imagine that $2.05 postage is pretty good.....or do you mean the postage is $22.00 :confused: Have you tried the suppliers that are closer to you? Cause I think Pets Pantry is in Victoria. If you like I will make enquiries at the post office tomorrow & see what it would cost us to send it up...we are a bit closer, being northern NSW, but there are distributors in Queensland (I think I gave you the link before) that are a lot closer.

Edited by sheena

I WILL BE IN CANBERRA 14TH APRIL AT EXHIBITION PARK

Just letting anyone who lives in or near Canberra that I will be attending the ACT Stafford show on Saturday 14th April. I will be at the show all day, if you would like to get any bags of Blackhawk please just let me know and I will bring it down for you.

Thanks,

Leslie

[email protected]

Just after the 3kg trial size, I can get it from Pets Pantry for $19.95 with postage being $22. Is there anywhere I can get with cheaper postage?

I would imagine that $2.05 postage is pretty good.....or do you mean the postage is $22.00 :confused: Have you tried the suppliers that are closer to you? Cause I think Pets Pantry is in Victoria. If you like I will make enquiries at the post office tomorrow & see what it would cost us to send it up...we are a bit closer, being northern NSW, but there are distributors in Queensland (I think I gave you the link before) that are a lot closer.

Yeah it was $22.00 :/ Sorry I will go back and find the link :hitself: But if you could make enquiries that would be fanastic. Because in case in does agree with Rusty and I need to keep buying it, from pets pantry it is almost as much to pay for postage as I'd be paying for the bag :eek: But yes, the closer to me, the better, so postage is cheaper :D