Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

I looked at the ingredient list for puppy and adult and they appear the same. is this correct (other than %ages). Just curious as have been raising pup on the puppy, and occasionally the adults who are normally fed full raw have been having some as an extra. Last week i switched pup to adult and yesterday fed the adults some with their necks. Noticed my adult boy has a hot spot this morning, previously about 3 years ago we found these were linked to chicken livers in his raw diet, and have been free of them since. Just wondered if there is a link with the change from puppy to adult.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just wish there was a working dog formula..... My Border Collies can't maintain on BH.. They are normally fed Eukanuba Premium performance & when I tried BH over 2mths, I had to double the intake for 3 of them & the rest about 1/2 increase. Then their poo's were a bit smelly & softer than I'd like.

I just wish there was a working dog formula..... My Border Collies can't maintain on BH.. They are normally fed Eukanuba Premium performance & when I tried BH over 2mths, I had to double the intake for 3 of them & the rest about 1/2 increase. Then their poo's were a bit smelly & softer than I'd like.

Strange that my two BC's do so well on it. The girl is 19 kilos & the young boy is 23 kilos & VERY active. They get a cup full each a day plus 100g of meat or tinned fish & in the mornings they get 1/2 a turkey neck & if anything, I have to keep a watch that they don't put weight on. I am very happy the way my two are going on BH....here is a picture of my girl with her stash from last weekends agility trial :) & their poos are a real delight to pick up & only twice a day & hardly any smell :thumbsup:

P1010979-Copy.jpg

Edited by sheena

I have a German shepherd and 2 bcs. The shep gets 3 cups a day and it's been the only thing to keep weight on him and the bcs get 1 cup each and I have to watch their weight. I do also feed them turkey necks and fresh meat 3 times a week but I can honestly say I am very happy with it....now to find a local supplier so I don't have to ask a friend to get it for me or have it couriered up. :D

Yeah its a real bugger... My dogs are very very fit & do Agility among other stuff.. They do 10km a day plus training & general running around on the property. My Male has been on 1 & 3/4 cup of Euk for 4years with no drama's, within 2wks of switching to BH he had lost 1kg.... He's now on 3 & 1/2cups of BH & he still hasn't regained all his weight. The girls are the same just not quiet as dramatic as him... I'm prepared to keep them on it for 2mths so I can be really sure one way or another... But at this stage I think they'll have to change back! I hope a higher calorie variety becomes available at some stage.

Strange that my two BC's do so well on it. The girl is 19 kilos & the young boy is 23 kilos & VERY active. They get a cup full each a day plus 100g of meat or tinned fish & in the mornings they get 1/2 a turkey neck & if anything, I have to keep a watch that they don't put weight on. I am very happy the way my two are going on BH....here is a picture of my girl with her stash from last weekends agility trial :) & their poos are a real delight to pick up & only twice a day & hardly any smell :thumbsup:

P1010979-Copy.jpg

Congrats Sue! I've met these two BC's, and they are lovely looking dogs.

Thanks NSCleo...it hasn't been an easy road with her as she is a "motion reactive" dog & twelve months ago I had trouble keeping her from leaving the ring & wanting to chase the dog in the next ring :(

But I have been working with her with a controversal program called "Look At That" & now I am so proud of her. Out of twelve runs last weekend there were only two, where we had no hope of qualifying, her only problem now is ME. I know this is a little :offtopic: sorry.

Guest english.ivy

Grr I'm having the same issues, Badger won't keep condition over winter while on BH :( So I'm going to add a little Earthborn I think. I can't have him any more thinner than what he is.

Same thing happened last winter too.

Guest english.ivy

He lives outside happily and did have a coat but he's a chewer, so that needs fixing up.

He has a crate [which he has 24/7 access] with a bed off the ground and blankets. Oh and the crate has a sheet and tarp over one corner as a wind break and this is all under a patio.

He has made himself a really cozy corner with his blanket and curls up in that same corner every night.

eta - I plan on heading to the salvos today to see if I can buy more blankets for him. He isn't thin, I just don't want him feeling the cold and then getting too ribby where it creates an issue. If you get what I mean? I can just see the condition dropping off him the last week or so.

Edited by english.ivy

Guess dogs are like people some foods make them bigger and some smaller.......all food is my enemy lol it all makes me bigger cos I eat so much of it and it's yummy

:laugh: So true!!

Sheena that is one impressive stash. :laugh: Well done!

I find with my guys, I have one who just maintains weight, he gets more than the others also he is a bit bigger, one maintains weight well and the other two are on the tubby side so I have to watch them. But over all Im very happy with Black Hawk. I guess dogs are like people in that respect definatley not all the same and different food suit one more than the other.

why do you think it's strange? Not all dogs do well on the same food. You're not even feeding straight BH but a mixture of raw and dry. Unless you are only feeding straight BH I don't think anyone can claim that it is BH doing the good or bad things people are saying.

He lives outside happily and did have a coat but he's a chewer, so that needs fixing up.

He has a crate [which he has 24/7 access] with a bed off the ground and blankets. Oh and the crate has a sheet and tarp over one corner as a wind break and this is all under a patio.

He has made himself a really cozy corner with his blanket and curls up in that same corner every night.

eta - I plan on heading to the salvos today to see if I can buy more blankets for him. He isn't thin, I just don't want him feeling the cold and then getting too ribby where it creates an issue. If you get what I mean? I can just see the condition dropping off him the last week or so.

Personally, I wouldn't be changing his food. I would be locking him in a nice warm crate at night which is covered on at least 3 sides with nice warm blankets etc. Shame about the coat, cause that would be really good as long as you were consistant with putting it on. On top of locking him in a nice warm & snug crate, I would continue to give him the BH...maybe increase it by 50 - 100% & give him some regular bones like lamb flanks. Nice warm rolled oats (porridge) are a good way of maintaining weight...you know...traditional rolled oats, not the instant ones. :)

Guest english.ivy

I'm not changing his routine and locking him away all night. He already gets it pretty darn good for a dog who lives outside.

Just stating the BH isn't enough to maintain him over winter.

why do you think it's strange? Not all dogs do well on the same food. You're not even feeding straight BH but a mixture of raw and dry. Unless you are only feeding straight BH I don't think anyone can claim that it is BH doing the good or bad things people are saying.

Thats very true hence why I feed only one type of Dry food & no extras... Only way to know whats happening... I would also hope that the dry food I feed is balanced... & by adding extras now potentially unbalances the diet. But I prepared to make the 2mths then make a decision. Otherwise I'll be looking for another brand.

I'm not changing his routine and locking him away all night. He already gets it pretty darn good for a dog who lives outside.

Just stating the BH isn't enough to maintain him over winter.

Actually the amount of BH you are feeding him is not enough to maintain him over winter.

Unless you are prepared to feed him a substantially increased ration or add extra calories by way of added fats etc your Pointer will continue to drop condition over the colder months unless he is rugged or inside. He is simply burning off too much keeping warm no matter what brand you feed. He is cold.

Thats very true hence why I feed only one type of Dry food & no extras... Only way to know whats happening... I would also hope that the dry food I feed is balanced... & by adding extras now potentially unbalances the diet. But I prepared to make the 2mths then make a decision. Otherwise I'll be looking for another brand.

OK...so you think that by adding 100g meat or fish & half a turkey neck to my dogs 1 cup of kibble is unbalancing their diet. So you are saying that your dogs do not ever get a raw meaty bone or anything else except kibble in case it "unbalances" their diet. Please tell me what is "unbalanced" by what I give my dogs. If my dogs diet is so "unbalanced" as you say, then please explain why they are so lovely & healthy & active, maintain good weight & have such perfect poos. I am not claiming that it is the BH alone that my dogs are doing well on...I am claiming it is the diet they are on which includes BH. I can't believe there are people out there that do not ever give their dogs a RMB or any extras.....how boring for the dogs. :( So please explain to me, what I am doing that is unbalancing my dogs" diet & if so....why are they so healthy :confused: I have the same type of dogs as DannyBC. Maybe you should try "unbalancing" their diet in the same manner I do, & you might have the same success. :thumbsup:

Edited by sheena