Is There A "dog Friendly" Lounge Suite?

LizT

My old Lounge suite has had it. I was going to replace it last year but was short of funds.

I have saved enough to get a decent (I hope) suite >$2500 is what I'm hoping to get something for ( as she practises her haggling LOL)

So what do I want...fabric or leather and does anyone have a lounge suite that holds up to small indoor dogs (Cavaliers) that only sit on the furniture when there is a lap or leg to snuggle up against. :thumbsup:

I have cats and the dog so I go for microsuede. It absolutely repels pet hair, as opposed to attracting it in swathes like cotton-type fabrics. I can't have leather because cats can't resist using any stuffed leather furniture piece to sharpen their claws, and you end up with a pepperpot punched finish like a cheese grater.

Problem with microsuede is that it can be used a lot in covering cheap rubbish couches (like mine :thumbsup: ), but I'd love to be able to find a good quality modular lounge suite with a heavy microsuede fabric. Seriously - six cats, and there's hardly any pet hair on the couch. Cleans up easy too.

Leather. I had a cream one for 11 - 12 years. Still in good condition (thought not "as new") vacuumed and wiped clean. Vinyl is good too, but leather is better. Only complaint is that it can be a bit cold to begin with when you sit on it on cold days. Heaps better than fabric - I have never tried micro suede though, so have no idea about that.

Another vote for leather here. Much easier to keep clean. In winter we kept a throw across the back so that when we sat down we can put that under us.

I suggest not putting it in direct sunlight as it does heat up in summer and can get VERY hot, either put it somewhere out of direct sun or we just keep the blinds closed during the day on the window that throws the sun on the lounge.

But yep, a big tick for me for the leather.

I much prefer suede as I like the look, comfort etc of it much better. And you don't have to worry about it being too cold/too hot to sit on! Pet hair also vacuums straight off it, which is fantastic. Leather is also extremely durable (minus scratching!!!!) and anything spilled on it will wipe straight off.

Having put up with a fabric lounge for the past 10 years and having inside dogs with short, shedding coats (eg. greyhound) we have just ordered a new leather modular suite. Can't wait!!!!!!!! We ordered it in a colour called "Putty" - which is basically the colour of dirt! :(:) The only thing I wanted but couldn't get was removable seat cushions so I could vacuum under them - this one has fixed cushions so all we'll be able to do is stick the vacuum nozzle down between them.

1262731864_378_1262731864_2791_HN322068.jpg

We have a dark brown modular leather lounge suite. Akira's not allowed on it, though I did catch her out standing on the back rest :( the other day trying to catch flies in the window. There was no damage to the lounge suite at all even though she was jumping up and down on it and racing after flies.

Dog friendly = leather IMO. I'd never have anything else.

*looks at dirt brown former cream leather couch and back to the dogs* *looks at holes in said leather and back to dogs*

Microsuede all the way here.. We have leather atm, albeit second hand and really old and I don't like it. It's a pain to keep clean when you have dogs allowed onto the couch, stains in a blink of an eye (again could be age) and I just don't like them. To be honest I'm contemplating throwing them out and moving the others back in :(

I'm not convinced that even new leather would stand up to the wear and tear from my dogs! The microsuede on Mum's couch is awesome... even when the dog peed on it, you got it out easily.

I'd not recommend a leather suite in anything other than a fairly dark colour. I've got burgundy but black or tan would be my top picks. You can bring them back up with a bit of TLC.

The quality of the hides will also matter. Split hide doesn't have a lot of longevity. :(

I thought I wanted a leather lounge. I bought one on ebay. It was quite well used but good quality but I didn't like the feel of it. Maybe if I could afford to get one of those really expensive one that are so squishy I might like it better but they are out of my price range :( I ended up with a microsuede and I like it. I do keep a quilt over it though so it's easier to keep clean. I scotchguarded it too.

If you do decide to get a fabric covered lounge - consider ordering extra fabric which can then be used as throw overs. My couches were re-upholstered a few years back from ocean blue :( to a lovely plain mocha - I ordered extra fabric and sewed the edges. They are permanently on the couches and get chucked into the wash once a week. The throw overs keep the couch covers in fabulous condition and if you get a good quality fabric - washing the throw overs every week won't affect the colour much. You can barely notice the slight difference in colour of my throw overs vs couch covers after 5 years!

The next couch will be micro-suede. My dining chairs are micro-suede and are so easy to wipe clean. A dinner guest spilled red wine all over one of the chairs once and I just wiped the wine off with a wet cloth and there was no stain, nothing! Amazing fabric. People with young skin kids should invest in micro-seude!!!

Yep, it's called either the floor, or bean bags! :rofl:

:rofl: Can see you don't have Cavs!

Although "slugboy" could use the beanbag LOL :thumbsup: Although 6ft 4 inch of stepping over is a pain if he stretches out on the floor.