The Dog Smell

Brennan's Mum

Just curious how you go about getting rid of the dog smell from your homes?. I share with StaffyLover81 and the other day a friend mentioned she could smell the dog smell in our small house. The house is a Queenslander style with all wooden floorboards except for the bathroom which has lino.

We keep all the windows open in the house,the front and back door are also open during the day too ,the dogs are out most of the day ( unless we are both out when they get crated). Their are air sprays, and those reed perfume diffusers scattered over the (small) house. We also are cleaning regularly and vaccuming hair up.

So what are we missing? What can we do to keep the dog smell out without having the dogs become outside dogs ( not an option).

How do you keep the dog smell out so that friends who visit are not overwhelmed by the smell.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glen20.. That stuff is my bestfriend. I spray it into the couch, the rug, curtains. Anything fabric. If you have a rug buy the foam cleaners and do it regularly. Burn scented candles and try and open the house up when you can. Clean their bedding regularly.

Basically have oil burners going all the time.

We have just moved into a new house and it has tiles throughout, including bedrooms. I have noticed that there is no lingering dog smell in this house. We have previously lived in a house with wooden floors and it seemed to retain the smell almost as much as carpet, although I'm not sure how and why?

I will add I have 5 dogs that are inside pretty much all day (it's hot here) and 2 of them sleep inside overnight and it is such a relief to not have to be worried about dog smell when people come over. Gotta love tiles :rofl: Will never have carpet again!

We have one of those automatic scent diffusers (smells like frangipani) which we originally got because while Huskies don't have a really doggy odour, when Akira used to have accidents when we were toilet training you could still smell the urine no matter how much detergent we used to get it up.

You can't do anymore than you are doing, unless you want chemical overdose.

If you don't have a problem with it, maybe its just your friend who is sensitive.

Its the dogs home too so why should they be made to live outside. Ignore your friend.

Why is she making personal remarks about your home anyway. Not polite.

Just curious how you go about getting rid of the dog smell from your homes?. I share with StaffyLover81 and the other day a friend mentioned she could smell the dog smell in our small house. The house is a Queenslander style with all wooden floorboards except for the bathroom which has lino.

We keep all the windows open in the house,the front and back door are also open during the day too ,the dogs are out most of the day ( unless we are both out when they get crated). Their are air sprays, and those reed perfume diffusers scattered over the (small) house. We also are cleaning regularly and vaccuming hair up.

So what are we missing? What can we do to keep the dog smell out without having the dogs become outside dogs ( not an option).

How do you keep the dog smell out so that friends who visit are not overwhelmed by the smell.

Use a different shampoo on the dogs. And do it regularly. I know Kaisie smells much more "doggy" on one shanpoo I use than on the other. I'm not replacing the smelly one now it's finished.

Try to keep them dry. Yeh - I know, I joke given the weather we have been having. :rofl:

Try rubbing them over with a rag rinsed in a dilute shampoo mix every few days before brushing.

And I second the hint about keeping the bedding well washed.

The wooden flooring may need re-sealing. If it is a bit porous, that might explain it retaining odours.

Um, honestly, and it's just my opinion, but anyone who comes into your house and criticises how it smells needs a kick in the arse.

I have my cats and I won't burn oils, or scented candles, or use air fresheners in this house - cats' systems aren't good at eliminating toxins and pollutants, like humans, and even dogs, are. Burning essential oils and using strongly scented air fresheners in small spaces can cause health problems in cats so I just don't do it.

If I want the place to smell good, I cook - master stock on the boil for instance, or ground coffee and fresh bread. Otherwise I open the windows to air the place, keep the litter trays clean, and wash the dog's bed (canvas trampoline bed) once a week, and put a fresh towel on his bed every three or four days. Anyone who came into my house and said 'ooo this place smells of [whatever]' wouldn't be getting an invitation back.

Um, honestly, and it's just my opinion, but anyone who comes into your house and criticises how it smells needs a kick in the arse.

I have my cats and I won't burn oils, or scented candles, or use air fresheners in this house - cats' systems aren't good at eliminating toxins and pollutants, like humans, and even dogs, are. Burning essential oils and using strongly scented air fresheners in small spaces can cause health problems in cats so I just don't do it.

If I want the place to smell good, I cook - master stock on the boil for instance, or ground coffee and fresh bread. Otherwise I open the windows to air the place, keep the litter trays clean, and wash the dog's bed (canvas trampoline bed) once a week, and put a fresh towel on his bed every three or four days. Anyone who came into my house and said 'ooo this place smells of [whatever]' wouldn't be getting an invitation back.

Speaking of shampoos, they use Isle of Dogs where I work and I must say it totally takes out any doggy odour really well. I have no idea how long it lasts for though, have not tested it on my own dogs yet.

I think this is the best product ever. Odourgo. Comes in many different scents, and I've mentioned it on here before. It is an odour neutraliser, which bonds to the odour and gets rid of it. It is not a cover up deodorizer. Safe to use on all furnishings, floors, toilets, decking etc.... and also very cost effective because it comes in a concentrated form which you can dilute to your liking. I will try and find that thread.

here

My house most definitely smells doggy to people who don't let their dogs inside. I bathe my long haired dog regularly and she doesn't smell at all but I can smell my dogs on my furniture. You know what? I would miss their smell and wouldn't have my life any other way. I don't complain about people's houses smelling like their granny or their kids so I don't expect them to complain about my house smelling like my beloved dogs.

ETS as VJB says above, Odourgo is good. I've recently been using Urine Free which is very expensive but I have been using it on urine spots for about 2 months and it completely eradicates the odour.

Edited by BigPaws

My house most definitely smells doggy to people who don't let their dogs inside. I bathe my long haired dog regularly and she doesn't smell at all but I can smell my dogs on my furniture. You know what? I would miss their smell and wouldn't have my life any other way. I don't complain about people's houses smelling like their granny or their kids so I don't expect them to complain about my house smelling like my beloved dogs.

ETS as VJB says above, Odourgo is fabulous. It's very expensive but I have been using it on urine spots for about 2 months and it completely eradicates the odour.

It is a great product. I was initially surprised by the price, but bought a 5 litre bottle of Apple scent. As I was pouring it in the washing machine during spin cycles when doing dogs bedding, it can run out quicker, so now I spray the bedding when its on the line. Given I paid something like 50 dollars for the bottle, it has in fact only just run out about 2 months ago. It lasted me nearly 2 years. :rofl: I'm sure I would have spent more if using other products.

I use cleaning vinegar in my bucket of water to wash my wooden floors. My dog has yeast infection at the moment and even i have noticed the doggy smell but found its not as bad after floors are washed. Also I spray Ferbreeze on lounge, curtains etc, wash her bedding every couple of days.

At one stage even used bicarb on the dog to get rid of her smell..was rushed and didnt have time to bath her but she ponged so sprinkled onto her coat, left for few minutes them brushed out. Took away the smell for a few days.

ETS as VJB says above, Odourgo is fabulous. It's very expensive but I have been using it on urine spots for about 2 months and it completely eradicates the odour.

It is a great product. I was initially surprised by the price, but bought a 5 litre bottle of Apple scent. As I was pouring it in the washing machine during spin cycles when doing dogs bedding, it can run out quicker, so now I spray the bedding when its on the line. Given I paid something like 50 dollars for the bottle, it has in fact only just run out about 2 months ago. It lasted me nearly 2 years. :rofl: I'm sure I would have spent more if using other products.

I just wanted to clarify my response above, I have used both Odourgo and UrineFree. I found Odourgo to be very good as a dilutable product which can be used for washing floors and spraying on furniture. My house still smelled of urine though.

UrineFree is used as it comes and is not diluted. I have found for urine, this product is much better.