Different/unusual Breeds In Dog Sports

huski

I love seeing lots of different breeds competing in dog sports especially doing well! I've seen the video of the JRT doing Schutzhund and I think it's brilliant.

Loved watching Luke W's cocker spaniel Barkley doing agility too :p I recently found this vid of a beagle doing agility, what a cool little hound;

Anyone else have any vids or stories to share? :laugh:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago I did my "apprenticeship" in dog obedience & agility with Cardigan Corgis before I "graduated" to the sheppies.

On the 16/6/90 my Cardi Corgi, A/C Cambrian Nike Cdx became the first Cardi Corgi in Aust to obtain her AD title. She was followed two years latter by her son, bred by me, Cardireign Armadeus AD to obtain his AD title.

Back then you had to qualify in the top 25% fastest dogs in the second round and there was no other classes such as Adx etc. Also there was only two class sizes and the spread jump was three bars wide and measured 700mm wide and 400mm high for the small class & the A-frame was a lot steeper. My.......the sport has evolved since the "early" years :p

I am pretty sure too that Jan West of Llandaff Cardi Corgis obtained the very first ADM for the breed in the mid 90's.

An 11 mth English Setter passing it's first obedience trial in Sweden (with some nice heelwork! :p )

There are a handful of schutzhund titled Chessies and one lady who had taken a couple of her dogs to the top level of the sport in the states. There is also one Chessie breeder that owns a Cattle ranch and swears by his Chessies for herding, there is actually a sort of small cult following for Chessie's as herding dogs :laugh:

We have a number of less common breeds doing agility around here (and several Cockers :p)

We have several Ibizan Hounds doing agility, one has made it into the Master class.

4199240087_6ff6a46f93.jpg

An Irish Red & White Setter who is going great and has both his Novice titles now, and his CCD.

4199241165_63a7b1e342.jpg

A Skye Terrier now in Excellent Jumping.

4199665780_89815a1785.jpg

Puli. We've had several trial around here and that can be great! This dog has his Masters titles.

3927986229_009db9cfe1.jpg

Greyhound. Runs in Sydney.

3421082750_11ed2f5e28.jpg

Schipperke, has his Novice titles.

3421065094_7aaf7f1187.jpg

Portuguese Water Dog.

2917731561_8b970efff4.jpg

And even Beagles (who don't even need to touch the equipment! :laugh:)

2789490194_b7be4eddfa.jpg

Edited by FHRP

I recognise those Greyhound zoomies :p I train with her :laugh:

There are also several Staffy crosses competing in Sydney, with Masters titles, that are little pocket rockets! One (who is owned by someone on DOL ) came 3rd in JDoY this year behind two working dogs.

An Irish Red & White Setter who is going great and has both his Novice titles now, and his CCD.

4199241165_63a7b1e342.jpg

This dog is :laugh:

I love English Setters and would one day love to do many sports with one, but not sure I am up for the challenge at present :p

Thanks everyone for sharing your pics/vids/stories :laugh:

And even Beagles (who don't even need to touch the equipment! :laugh:)

2789490194_b7be4eddfa.jpg

What a gorgeous little hound FHRP!! Love it!!

Pele, my Bull Terrier is trialling in Open obedience :laugh:

Pele is beautiful Bully :p

Pele, my Bull Terrier is trialling in Open obedience :laugh:

Pele is beautiful Bully :laugh:

Thanks huski :laugh: Pele also won "Best Tricks" at the recent Dogs SA Open Day for the 2nd time :p She's a great ambassador for Bull Terriers :laugh:

:laugh::)

An 11 mth English Setter passing it's first obedience trial in Sweden (with some nice heelwork! :) )

There are a handful of schutzhund titled Chessies and one lady who had taken a couple of her dogs to the top level of the sport in the states. There is also one Chessie breeder that owns a Cattle ranch and swears by his Chessies for herding, there is actually a sort of small cult following for Chessie's as herding dogs :love:

Hi valleyCBR, I cant acess my emails at the moment in reply to your request, also I thought Ihad done the all the right things to reply but me and computers sometime don't mix, sorry this is so off topic but I didn't know how else to contact you.

:laugh::)
An 11 mth English Setter passing it's first obedience trial in Sweden (with some nice heelwork! :) )

There are a handful of schutzhund titled Chessies and one lady who had taken a couple of her dogs to the top level of the sport in the states. There is also one Chessie breeder that owns a Cattle ranch and swears by his Chessies for herding, there is actually a sort of small cult following for Chessie's as herding dogs :love:

Hi valleyCBR, I cant acess my emails at the moment in reply to your request, also I thought Ihad done the all the right things to reply but me and computers sometime don't mix, sorry this is so off topic but I didn't know how else to contact you.

No problem maybe reply here (since it is not so off topic) and tell us about yor Large Munsterlander you do obedience with. :love:

I love seeing lots of different breeds competing in dog sports especially doing well! I've seen the video of the JRT doing Schutzhund and I think it's brilliant.

Loved watching Luke W's cocker spaniel Barkley doing agility too :laugh: I recently found this vid of a beagle doing agility, what a cool little hound;

Anyone else have any vids or stories to share? :)

great pics we have a Beagle here in WA doing both Agility and Obedience I won't say what class as I am not sure however she is past Novice, it's fun watching

all the UTubes amazing how many there are on Beagles. I was impressed at the amount of different breeds at the Agility Nationals this year now the heights

have changed it evens things up a bit Beagie

Up in North Qld we had an american bulldog doing agility which I'd have to say would be one of the hardest breeds to do agility with due to their size and shape.

I've also seen afghans in obedience.

There's a guy here in brissie who trains pomeranians - one has it's UD the other has just started in CCD.

We've got a guy at our obedience club who is planning to start trialling his greyhound in obedience next year.

And I recently saw someone with Dachounds (sorry it's early and I can't get the spelling) trialling in obedience.

Loved watching Luke W's cocker spaniel Barkley doing agility too :laugh: I recently found this vid of a beagle doing agility, what a cool little hound;

Anyone else have any vids or stories to share? :)

great pics we have a Beagle here in WA doing both Agility and Obedience I won't say what class as I am not sure however she is past Novice, it's fun watching

all the UTubes amazing how many there are on Beagles. I was impressed at the amount of different breeds at the Agility Nationals this year now the heights

have changed it evens things up a bit Beagie

I had a beagle in the Open Jumping ring I was stewarding last night. :)

Hi ValleyCBR - I thought that was you! (stewarding as well)

One of the best obedience dogs this year (not the beginners class, the next one up) was a lovely brindle/black staffie - the Judge raved for hours after about the quality of his heeling!

And the blue Great Dane (beginners section) in obedience was amazing. ONe hairsbreadth further in the recall and her handler would have gone flying!!!

We also have pointers and german shorthaird pointers, irish terriers, soft coated wheaten terriers and a jack russel doing agility here in WA.

Plus the ex-pound dogs!