Dog Bites Postie

LizT

Yesterday one of my 'guys' (I 'm a night sorter for AP) rode his Motorbike along the front of two homes and a dog ran along the front fence, jumping up at the fence and barking. I'm sure you've all seen some dogs doing this as you walk by their homes.

Anyway, today this dog was unlucky (and so was the Postie) as on one jump the dog managed to 'hang' itself by the collar on the fence. :eek:

When the Postie saw this he thought, "Poor dog, I can't leave him like that he'll choke and die."

End result is Postie got bitten on the face, requiring stitches, as he released the dog.

Sorry didn't get details of breed and size of dog.

Many other Posties said he was stupid to go near the dog and should have left it there and other very negative and unkind comments along with many renditions of "Who let the dogs out". :laugh:

Apparently no one was home at the house either.

Dogs and Posties have a long standing problem but most Posties own dogs and are doglovers (at least their own!)

My OH does parcel deliveries and is often "held up" by dogs of all sizes. Sometimes this is quite worrying as he must deliver to the front door and often there are no closed gates or signage to indicate there is a dog that may have access to him.

When the owners are home and he is baled up he gets stupid comments like "He's just doing his job"! So am I retorts my husband as the dog is holding onto his pants etc.!!!

Just this week as he got out of his van a man yelled out to him.."Just stand still". He did and a Staffy came rushing up at him and grabbed him by the foot holding on to his steel capped boots which he sometimes changes into runners for comfort and the dog refused to let go.

Apparently this was a rescue dog that doesn't like boots!! OH said he wouldn't have liked to put runners to the test with him either!! If this is how the dog behaves it's no surprise if he's worn a few pairs of boots either.

Why do some pet owners think their 'Fidos" are going to be sweet little darlings when a delivery or metre reader arrives??

Worse still why do they stand there making excuses for their pets behaviour instead of apologing profusely and controlling their dogs or restraining them??

My husband is a huge dog lover and has made many "doggie friends" with his regulars and their owners but sometimes he wishes he had a can of citronella spray or something to protect himself with??

I don't think people should leave dogs in the front yard where possible- it just encourages fence aggression. If my front yard was my yard- fence off a section with a solid fence that you can't see though.

Keep in mind that the dog could have bitten the man due to the fear and stress of being stuck on the fence post.

Good on the postie though- he saved a life

I think in some cases spraying the dog could make matters worse.

A number of years ago we had a incident with a young postie coming into our yard to drop off a package. As usual the dogs all ran to him and barked but they didn't touch him or try to bite. Anyway, he was obviously terrified (understandable) and was turning in circles and telling the dogs to 'go away'. He then swung the parcel at my Dobe (obviously he felt he was the biggest threat) and aggressively yelled at him to go away. Worst thing he could've done. I was at the door, on my way out to call the dogs away and saw what he did and the Dobe's whole demeanor changed. He started stalking and trying to get behind the guy, I'm sure with the intention of biting him. Lucky for him I was there and called him away. He could have been seriously injured if I wasn't there and I tried to explain to him that acting aggressively towards the Dobe was not a smart thing to do. He just had no idea about how to behave around dogs.

I guarantee that the Dobe would have gotten more aggressive, not less if he was sprayed with something.

ETA - I would have helped the dog too. No way could I have left it on the fence to choke to death. Nice man. :laugh:

Edited by dobesrock

I would have removed the dog also. I'm glad the Postie did too but sorry he got bitten. Hope the dog's owner takes full responsibility, pays the Postie's medical expenses and gives the Postie a nice bonus for saving his dog at his own peril. Also hope the dog's owner does something immediately about his dog running the fence. None of this is the dog's fault. He is doing what he's learnt to do as a dog.

:laugh: Postie. I hope you win tattslotto.

Edited by Erny

From what I understood, it's the law that people should be able to reach your front door without being harassed by dogs. If a dog attacks a person while that person is trying to do their job, you can be held liable for damages.

Can someone confirm this?

Postie acted humanely and at risk to himself.

Good on him.

Owner needs a nice big fine and a good smack around the head. :eek::

Spot on.

This needs to be reported - the bite that is not Poodlefan's post :laugh:) - but I imagine because your colleague needed stitches, it would have been.

Edited by Mother Moocher

Our postie NEVER comes in to deliver. I ALWAYS have to front up to 15min+ queue to collect. I guess they do that to everyone - thus the 15min + queue.

They USED to toot the horn and wait for abit for us to get out there. But they don't even do that now.

Our dog has never bitten anyone. But that does not mean one or two deserved it. Idiots. Acting agressively towards a dog is not a good idea. One guy did that hare - and I was there just in time to call her away. I took her inside and left DH to deal with him because I was pretty angry.

He told DH that he had recently been biten by a Rottie. Gees - I wonder how that happened. He came very close to adding a Dobe to the list that day. :D

As for the brave resucuer - I would have saved the dog too. But not at the cost of injury to myself. Waiting a bit for it to lose consciousness would have made the exercise a lot safer. I know - it is cruel, but IMHO human safety comes first and the dog still would have been ok, if a little bruised.

Edited by noisymina

What a wonderful person that Postie is.. humane and compassionate. If the world had more people like him it would be a far betterplace.

I am so sorry that he was bitten.

as for those who are critical of the dog biting.. the poor creature would have been terrified. I have been bitten by one of my own dogs who was in a difficult and painful situation ...... not the dogs fault he was merely being a dog.

The owners need to be advised and if they are half decent will reward the postie for saving their dogs life.

They may also be unaware of their dogs behaviour when they are not there.

I don't think people should leave dogs in the front yard where possible- it just encourages fence aggression. If my front yard was my yard- fence off a section with a solid fence that you can't see though.

Keep in mind that the dog could have bitten the man due to the fear and stress of being stuck on the fence post.

Good on the postie though- he saved a life

Yes, to 1....dogs should be kept away from the front fenceline and the passing parade. Which they believe they're controlling.

Yes, to 2. Our neighbour once helped a dog that was stuck by its collar on fence. The dog was terrified out of its wits & he got bitten. He said, in retrospect, he would've tried to get some 'padding' first to protect himself. But he acted instinctively.

Yes, to 3. The postie saved a life.

I too would have saved the dog and can understand the dog in a panic biting. I guess this gets reported and the dog classified as menacing?

NZ posties and meter men obviously went to a different school to aussies posties. My dogs are only out the front when I am home and all the postie would have to do is toot and I would come out but no he wanders through the dogs with no apparent concern. Fortunately it is only when I have parcels to be delivered so I can usually avoid it.

My meter man is also brave to the point of stupidity. The meter is out the back in the dog yard. My account clearly reads do not read, gate is locked from the inside and fences are nearly 6 foot and yet I still get read meters.

When I had 5 Rotties, the local postie used to stop his bike and come and feed then Schmackos through the gate... the barks mine used to make when he was coming were very excited and happy ones... lol!

I applaud the postie who saved the dog, and sincerely hope that the owners of said dog come to the party to cover his medical costs, and give him a huge thank you for saving their pet from what could have been a slow and painful death.

T.

I am a postie, and some posties are 'dog people' and some aren't. We are given instructions on how to avoid dogs (put your bike between you and the off-lead dog, how to read their body language, etc)

And I , like many others here, would have done the same thing and tried to save the dog.

And I know other posties who have been bitten and some of the time it's the postie who has been teasing the dogs, and the dogs finally got loose and got their revenge.....

Well done to that postie..

Postie did the right thing but although the dog jumped and barked there is nothing to say it would have bitten outside the panic at being caught up. Therefore dog is menacing but not guaranteed bite through just protecting property however -

Owners need to be advised they wont get any mail until it is safe for the postie to do his job with a mailbox he can access safely. If the dog was jumping up then the mailbox is not in a safe place.

Dont see why dogs need access to the front yard in 98% of suburban properties - I've seen one house where the 'yard' is in front of the house where the driveway and mailbox is and even that house had a very big fence with a gap for the mailbox. Dog should be contained to the bacl of the property.

Hi LizT

Some big questions raised here.

From January 1, 2004, it is an offense for a dog to rush the fence.

Secondly, Workcover refuses to pay for injuries sustained in dog attacks.

Any houses with a dog; big, small, placid, active, or whatever, are listed as "At Risk" and will not be entered.

The technology exists to read meters and deliver post without attending premises.

Lastly, dogs are legally allowed to defend their property.

As concerns the Postie, he's a hero, irrespective of the judgement others may make on the merits or otherwise of the dog and its owner.

:D

i hope the injured postie is told of our support and our thanks for saving that dogs life. I dont think the dog meant it, but the owners of the house should also be informed of the incident so that they have the option of rectifying the situation.