How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news Sheridan! Glad it has worked out for you.

In regards to the showdog comment, I believe kids should not be going up wanting to pat these animals. Both the dogs and owners are under pressure on showday and don't need kids harassing them. No doubt there are plenty of show ppl who don't mind but I never allow anyone to pat my dogs regardless of if we are at a show or just out on a walk. Also, the crate situation is totally reasonable and you cannot expect a dog to behave any differently. My STD poodle is fantastic with kids and loves them but will rush at his crate when someone goes near it. Lots of dogs are protective of their crates.

I'm still miffed as to why it's so offensive to ask if child has clean hands before allowing it to pat the dog????????????????

Glad it worked out, Sheridan!! Always a relief too when you find out you have decent neighbors.

i dont think it is offensive at all quite reasonable in fact :(

eta forgot to say well done on the great outcome!!!!!

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I think it is absolutely outrageous to ask a child if they have clean hands before patting a dog !! I know all about the stress of sticky coats from people patting my dogs having been to a lot of Royals :(

Either say to all people, who ask to pat the dog, " Of course" and then do a quick clean up as soon as they've gone or less stressful, just say "OK, but you'll have to wait until after they've finished being in the ring".

Any people who put dogs higher than children are making future problems.

I think it is absolutely outrageous to ask a child if they have clean hands before patting a dog !! I know all about the stress of sticky coats from people patting my dogs having been to a lot of Royals :(

Either say to all people, who ask to pat the dog, " Of course" and then do a quick clean up as soon as they've gone or less stressful, just say "OK, but you'll have to wait until after they've finished being in the ring".

Why is it so outrageous? After spending hours grooming and prepping a dog I think it's totally reasonable to ask if the child has clean hands. My guess is that you have never shown a light colored and long coated dog. Trust me, it's not easy to get jam out of an afghans coat ten mins before entering the ring.

Why is it so outrageous? After spending hours grooming and prepping a dog I think it's totally reasonable to ask if the child has clean hands. My guess is that you have never shown a light colored and long coated dog. Trust me, it's not easy to get jam out of an afghans coat ten mins before entering the ring.

I agree with Danielle. The last thing anyone wants seconds before taking their dog in the ring is some kid OR adult with faery floss or frigging bbq sauce all over there mitts and wanting to rub them into your dog's coat. If more people had common sense, exhibitors wouldnt need to ask members of the public not to wipe grubby hands over their dogs.

And my dogs are most certainly more important to me than your children. Sorry but if you dont like it, it's too bad. Not much I can do about it.

Bit of a disclaimer to my earlier post - I actually found the kids at dog shows to be pretty good. It was an adult that I had problems with wanting to touch my dog - his hands really were covered in bbq sauce. I mean really stupid. I asked him to come over to my gazebo when I finished in the ring but he called me a snob and walked off :(:):)

my dog is more important to me that some strangers children...now for children i know, that's might be a different answer :o

:(:) Your dog's more important to ME than some stranger's children... :)

:wave::rofl::eek: I have to agree with that. Jaxx doesnt have a crappy nappy and a high pitched scream.

my dog is more important to me that some strangers children...now for children i know, that's might be a different answer :o

:(:) Your dog's more important to ME than some stranger's children... :)

:wave::rofl::eek: I have to agree with that. Jaxx doesnt have a crappy nappy and a high pitched scream.

and she is well behaved to boot

Hi Danielle & Raz,

big fluffy dogs don't mean you get away without good manners.

you're missing the point. Just say "no or not right now" not " have you clean hands?"

You wouldn't ask the judge if they have clean hands when he gives you the ribbon now would you ?

You wouldn't ask the judge if they have clean hands when he gives you the ribbon now would you ?

I'm not sure about that, Turk. some of those judges are pretty grubby :)

Sheridan sorted out the issue and it's actually a really good lesson for people with a neighbour who is causing them concern. Go and talk to them. Dwelling on neighbourhood issues rather than just being a bit upfront and neighbourly would stop so many headaches - and in this case it did. Good on Sheridan. Happy neighbours, Happy Grumpy. It all worked out well :(