Will My Dog Remember Me?

princesszelda

Hi there,

My husband & I are going overseas for 4 weeks over Christmas. Our 19-month-old Berner will be staying in our house with my hubby's parents (very kind of them to housesit for us). Will she remember us, or be mad at us, when we get back? We've never left her for this amount of time before, and she is my first dog, so I have no experience with this! Am I stressing for nothing?

She will certainly remember you! I've met up with dogs I've bred after 2 years & they remembered me. Depending on her nature, she may be a little "standoffish" with you at first (to punish you for leaving her :thumbsup: ) or she may just be totally overjoyed to see you right away.

a little "standoffish" with you at first (to punish you for leaving her )

She may be a bit aloof- that is just a behaviour carry over as you haven't been around for a while ..it's not 'punishing you ' :D. 4 weeks is nothing really! Gosh - I have had dog friends who remember me after months/years :thumbsup:

We used to have boarding kennels in a certain town, sold them and moved about 1000km away.

Three years later I went back to that town to visit friends. Walking through a car park there was a dog SCREAMING at me for a pat from a car (it was winter time and cool, relax people).

It was a dog which had been in our kennels I think five or six times.

If that dog remembered me, your dog will certainly remember you. She may well be aloof to begin with as she could be confused when you come home, she won't be punishing you - dogs don't work like that.

Edited by Sandra777

a little "standoffish" with you at first (to punish you for leaving her )

She may be a bit aloof- that is just a behaviour carry over as you haven't been around for a while ..it's not 'punishing you ' :). 4 weeks is nothing really! Gosh - I have had dog friends who remember me after months/years :D

It is when your normally affectionate OTT Poodle does it! :thumbsup:

Yes, he will remember you guys ;)

I wish my two greeted me with a tiny bit of joy and excitement when I get home though :D I was away for a week and I walk into the door expecting some happy greetings but instead, Charlie was like 'meh, mama's home' and continues what he is doing (eating pig ear at the time) and Emmy runs into the house and looks at me as though saying 'oh. you're home! cool! Cuddles later. Busy!' and runs back outside to do whatever she was doing.

Edited by CW EW

We just got back from a 3 week holiday a few weeks back. Riley ran outside, straight past me, and went straight to my dad (who had been looking after him).

Little bugger ignores me for the first few hours until the cases are packed away, then he'll talk to me again :D

Ofcourse, I left Buster at home for 3 months last year, I flew him down to NSW to meet me, watched him get off the plane. As soon as I went over to his cage he looked all confused for a few seconds and then I saw it click and it was all back to the same as always, I definetly wouldn't worry about 4 weeks.

Edited by busterlove

We had 5 weeks of not seeing our Bullmastiffs before we flew them over from NZ.

Morgan our every faithful older girl and her daughter.

They were staying with my mum and dad and Morgan was on a diet as she was a bit tubby before we flew out ahead of them. Too much dropped food from our grand daughter!

We got them out of their airline crates at Brissy, Abbey was very very pleased to see us and Morgan said a brief hi and then proceeded to voice her opinion as to the fact that she was starving and needed food.

You will be remembered but be prepared to be snubbed a bit.

I catch up with my puppy people when we go back home and all the dogs remember me.

Absolutely you will be remembered. When we moved to Oz, we left my dog with my parents, when I went back 4 years later she remembered me to the point where she wouldn't let me out of her sight in case I left her again. Enjoy your holiday and don't stress, all will be well.

Ruby remembers her breeder even when we don't see her for months. :D

Holly's breeder gets the BIGGEST bum wiggles even if Holly hasn't seen her in weeks.

She will remember you! :)

Edited by Lyndsay