Happy 16th Birthday Kuges!

hortfurball

My beloved old boy has surpassed all expectations and is still with me for his 16th birthday!

:):mad HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD MAN! :mad:eek:

Kuges is (best guess) a great dane x lab. He was about 45 kilos for most of his life but is now about 40 kilos. Life expectancy for danes is about 8-10, labs about 12-13 so to still have him with me is just amazing, especially considering when his heart condition was diagnosed 5 years ago they said he had a 50/50 chance of making it through the week until the meds kicked in, and the meds weren't expected to buy him more than a year or two at most as they weren't the fountain of youth and he was already 11 at that point.

He's still happy, alert, eating well and mobile, if a little slow, stiff and lazy.

Big kisses and hugs to my boy. :laugh:

One of my favourite pics, taken a couple of years ago...

KugesandIndi01.jpg

and this one from Feb this year...

Kugame09.jpg

and this one when he was 8 weeks old...

Kuga8weeks01.jpg

Thanks everyone. :eek: I just lubs my boy to bits and am so happy!

Yep, Amypie and Trixie met Kuges when Trixie was about the same size as his head! (she's not much bigger now! :) )

Whiteshepherdmom, it can happen. :mad Everyone said I'd be lucky if he made it past 10, being a large dog, so I started emotionally preparing myself when he was about 9, and here we are seven years later and still going strong! (well maybe not strong, but not weak either yet) I was saying to a friend of mine the other day, I think Kuges is surviving through willpower and love.