My Problem Fixed

Kashing

42km is not that far

A GSD baby is so unco ordinated at times it is not surprising you can push him over

Start training him now, the earlier you start the better

It may take a couple of weeks for him to be toilet trained, maybe a couple of months - depends on your consistency with the training

I agree dont leave the pups together unsupervised just because accidents can happen and you dont want anyone hurt, and if they are separated then the gsd pup will rest when they are not together

Listen to what your breeder is telling you :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kashing, the breeder should have given you some info on walking your pup. No more than 5 mins of structured on lead walking (really just lead training) up to 6 months, up to 10 mins until 12 months. This is an article put out by the club after research on hip/elbow dysplasia. Free running is fine, but limit running with older dogs/puppies as the puppy will try and keep up despite being tired. With the other puppy, it's YOUR job to teach them both what is and isn't acceptable in playing and how rough they get. Neither are old enough to set boundaries, and they could both hurt each other in different ways if you're not careful.

Most of the puppy schools I contacted when my 4yo girl was a puppy required at least 2 vaccinations, and wouldn't allow puppies any younger (didn't help she was born Christmas eve, so most were booked up too). The german shepher club allow from 8 weeks. Sorry, I don't live in WA so have no idea of clubs, but contact the breeders, they are very helpful and knowledgable people.

It's up to you if he sleeps in your room or not. Mine do, but are also happy enough to sleep in their crates in another room. Until he's used to you guys, he will cry, and you just need to ignore it or you'll train him now to be a sooky big dog who cries and barks if he doesn't get what he wants.

When he's inside, keep him near you so you can see when he needs to go to the toilet, so it doesn't become a habit. Crates are great for helping with toilet training, as they don't like to toilet in there if taken out frequently enough.

If your puppy is genuinely having trouble standing, beyond normal puppy looseness and big paw unco-ordination, you need to go back to the vet and see if they can find out what's wrong!!! It is NOT normal for a GSD puppy to not be able to stand. It is, however, normal for them to be very floppy, loose, and unco-ordinated when they run until they grow into those big joints and limbs!

he isnt cant stand but I think his weak, he can run and walk but If I push him he will easily down.

Exactly how old is this puppy? In another topic I remember you saying that your new puppy would be 8 weeks old at Christmas which would mean that at the moment he's just turned 7 weeks. Now you are saying that he's already 8 weeks??? A GSD is a large breed and when they're very young they're all over the place and lack coordination and I'm not surprised that you can push him over. This puppy is a BABY and if he's only just turned 7 weeks he should still be with his dam and littermates not playing for hours with another dog.

As for toilet training if he's only 7 weeks he will have very little control over his bowel and bladder so when they they feel the urge to go it just happens. You need to put him outside immediately after sleeping, after eating and after playing and about every hour in between. Stay outside with him until he urinates and then give him lots of praise, don't just put him outside and leave him there. When you can't supervise the pup indoors confine him to a crate or pen, but don't leave him in there for so long that he's forced to soil his crate, no longer than an hour to start with.

I certainly wouldn't be leaving these two pups together unsupervised, although they're both small at the moment it won't be long until the GSD towers over the maltese and the maltese could be seriously injured if the GSD decides to play a bit rough, it probably won't be intentional but when you have such a huge difference in size and weight it could easily happen.

:) I so agree with this.. Poor baby

42km is not that far

A GSD baby is so unco ordinated at times it is not surprising you can push him over

Start training him now, the earlier you start the better

It may take a couple of weeks for him to be toilet trained, maybe a couple of months - depends on your consistency with the training

I agree dont leave the pups together unsupervised just because accidents can happen and you dont want anyone hurt, and if they are separated then the gsd pup will rest when they are not together

Listen to what your breeder is telling you :)

I have told Flaves who the breeder is also, as she is a friend of theirs, hope that is ok?

To anyone wondering, they ARE a registered, responsible breeder, so the puppy must be 8 weeks, they wouldn't allow one to go any younger. And they are very helpful and knowledgable too. :xmassantawave:

Edited for grammar

Edited by MissMaddy

Be patient with him. Remember he is only a baby. He won't be a grown up until he's at least 18 months old! :)

He will take a while to learn how to go to the bathroom in the right place, just like a human baby does. You just need to be patient, keep trying to prevent him having accidents, and keep showing him the right place to go.

You've gotten good advice about not exercising him too much. His bones are still soft when he is a baby, and you can hurt his bones by taking him for long runs or long walks as a baby.

Kashing how old is your puppy? Just that something you wrote at another time said that the pup you are getting will be 8weeks after Christmas so you will be getting the puppy after Christmas.

You need to take your Gsd Puppy to an animal hospital if you haven't already.

(The OP may have gone to the vet and left DOL open on their computer)

8weeks old yesterday, I took him earlier.

:)

No reputable breeder would let their pups go one day short of 8 weeks old!!!

Please accept my apologies, I missed this, I'm really glad that he's 8 weeks and not seven :xmassantawave:

Kashing listen to your breeder - they know what they are talking about :)

I know how nervous i was when Daire first came home, you are worried that you will make mistakes etc

Try not to worry too much, enjoy your pup, i hope he grows up to be a wonderful family member - let him take his time to grow slowly so he doesnt have any joint issues, teach him as best you can to be a good canine citizen but mostly enjoy him.

GSDs are a wonderful breed, enjoy him and the time you have together - your first is always special :xmassantawave:

They are both beautiful! Glad your pup is well. That's great advice from chewbacca too about getting one-to-one time with your pup because it looks like the two dogs are bonding strongly already by that photo!

Good grief, that a pretty wild and wide assumption, FFB :):xmassantawave: . They are sitting together :xmassnowball::xmasrudolph: .

Considering how different in sizes these dogs are going to be and already are, I think it is pretty damned important that they have a bond.

Their auras are merging MM :xmaswelcome:

Kashing, all good advice you have been given.

It is difficult when you are first starting out, and kudos to you for asking a lot of questions.

Please stop pushing your puppy over to test his strength. Your pushing will be enough to damage his joints. GSD and other large breed puppies are very weak at this age and need a lot of protection and supervision regarding movement. Take it very easy with him. When putting him down from being picked up, ensure all 4 feet are on the ground and balanced before letting him go, and do this on a rough surface, not tiles or polished timber floors.

Enjoy your baby. Time flies. :)

They are both beautiful! Glad your pup is well. That's great advice from chewbacca too about getting one-to-one time with your pup because it looks like the two dogs are bonding strongly already by that photo!

Good grief, that a pretty wild and wide assumption, FFB :):xmassantawave: . They are sitting together :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Considering how different in sizes these dogs are going to be and already are, I think it is pretty damned important that they have a bond.

Their auras are merging MM :xmastree:

:xmassnowball::xmasrudolph::xmaswelcome::champagne:

Congratulations on your new puppy Kashing, and it's very good of you to ask for advice here, I agree with what all the other people have said to listen to your breeder's advice.

Also I have to say again how important it is not to push your puppy too much or let him play with the Maltese for too long.. puppy's bones are very delicate! My dog is also a large breed dog (rottweiller) and when she was a puppy she broke her leg simply by tripping and falling down a step, so we learnt this the hard way - please don't leave your puppy unsupervised, especially when he is playing with the Maltese, not even for a second! Also puppy school and obedience will definitely benefit both of you, especially as you are lacking experience with dogs.

People have given your great tips for toilet training, just remember to be consistent and you have to take him out to toilet very often - most likely you will need to get up numerous times during the night for his toilet as well. Just remember to give lots of praise when he does toilet at the spot you want him to!

Enjoy your new puppy and allow him lots of rest! Good luck! :D

Glad your puppy is okay Kashing :rofl: ....but remember he will mature slower than the little Maltese so you will need to be careful he doesn't over do things as he grows, especially when it come to running and jumping as his legs will take longer to grow and become strong.

Sometimes I see them and hard to think that GSD is a little brother for maltese because of their size, ;)

You mean his leg will grow slowly if he always running and jumping?

No, I mean if he is running and jumping too much, (like say on and off furniture for example) he may cause damage to the growth plates or open knee joints.

He is a baby and needs to take things slowly as he grows and becomes strong. Even as a 'teenager' you need to be most careful with his legs and joints.

Large breeds need time to mature.

Good on you for taking time for advice. :rofl: