Britains Ugliest Dog.

cannibalgoldfish

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all those people that think it is just fine to crossbreed dogs ...... dogs like Doug can be the result.

You can see the badly twisted jaw and the odd eyes, but 10 to 1 there are a whole lot of other physical problems for this poor dog to suffer, amounting to a shortened life and PAIN.

The publicity only focussed on his ugly looks.

What a pity they didn't do a full physical and list all of his physical problems and highlight just how CRUEL it can be to crossbreed dogs.

Souff

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder isnt it?

He certainly pulled my heartstrings.

Bless all the people who can see past physical characteristics, and give a home to a needy pet. Without them, dogs like Doug would never have a chance. :laugh:

Dogs like Doug would not be born to suffer and be in need of homes if people used their brains.

Lets be reasonable. Cross breeds do not all look like Doug. Infact, Doug is the only dog that looks like Doug I have ever seen, and thank goodness for that :laugh:

The main reason he looks like that is because of the pug, which as cute as they are have their own share of problems whether they are crossed or not. Who is to blame for the pugs that cannot breath properly, overheat, bloat, and cannot give birth unassisted ?

I have never seen a Pug with a jaw, head and eyes that look like that

Neither have I. The pugs extreme features, the same ones that are the cause of the problems in the pedigree pug, seem obviously the cause of Doug's unique charm. I'd hasten a guess and say if the pointer were crossed with a more physiologically sound breed it's unlikely you would see the same result.

Having said that, i'm not neglecting the fact that there is probably a relatively high chance of deformations when crossing other combinations of widely dissimilar breeds as well, but in the case of the pug it has issues whether it is crossed or not.

I think it's great that the Brits celebrate ugliness. This guy certainly qualifies!!!!! Personally, I think some breeds are ugly, full stop . . . and I tend to love them for it. Time for Australia, and the US (I'm a dual) start their own ugly dog contests :laugh: As for whether this guy should be pts . .. I'd say you'd have to be a eugenicist/nazi to say advocate that unless he shows some health defect that dooms him to a life of pain.

Why does he have to have pug in him at all? Cant it be the result of an accident or just a freak in development?

I guess. I made a mistake. In the article it says that Doug is a pointer x ug, I read ug as pug, as opposed to a pointer x by the name of ug.

Pointer x Pug seems a reasonable guess nonetheless, but there's no evidence. Even if the paper had reported he was a pointer x pug, the guess of the pound that identified him where they got the dog is probably as good as ours. So we haven't seen evidence he has GSP in him either, although that also seems a reasonable guess.

Edited by Lo Pan

Lets be reasonable. Cross breeds do not all look like Doug. Infact, Doug is the only dog that looks like Doug I have ever seen, and thank goodness for that :laugh:

I have seen enough who have jaws almost as bad as this dog's, where they cannot close their mouths to eat and chew food properly, where there tongues hang out of the side of their mouth permanently, and have the teeth outside the lips smashed off because they run into brick walls and things because their balance is bad probably because something else is twisted in their head ....... and that is only part of their problems in the head area! The body and joints are disaster areas as well usually.

Nature intended teeth to be INSIDE the mouth where they are given protection by a hard bony jaw - teeth were never meant to be OUTSIDE the head of any mammal.

This dog is a VICTIM of CROSSBREEDING.

This dog is a VICTIM of CRUELTY. Neither situations are something to be celebrated - they are a both a sad reflection on humans who are supposed to be responsible for the welfare of animals.

Even if he is the result of an accidental mating, there are humans walking around who could have prevented that accidental mating.

We have an obligation to ensure that badly contorted bodies like Doug's NEVER HAPPEN and we can do that by either desexing non-breeding dogs or selecting the correct genes for the puppies.

Probably this jaw and skull is a mix of a brachy breed (and there are a number of breeds to choose from) and a non-brachy breed.

That people are celebrating the ugliness of this poor unfortunate dog says to me that we have more sick minded people in the world than I realised.

Souff