Bringing Puppy Home

nabira

We get our new puppy at the end of January and I have a question for those in the know. The puppy is coming from Victoria and we're in NSW, and we were originally going to fly her over. However, my husband now thinks we should drive and get her instead because he thinks that it will be less stressful in an air conditioned car rather than waiting in the airport for the flight, then on the plane (and he reckons they'll just chuck her on, because he's watched them throw luggage on and they MUST treat animals the same way :thumbsup:). The drive would take us about 8 hours, whereas a flight would be an hour, plus another hour and a half once we've got her until home.

What do you think would be best?

Edited by nabira

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would drive to pick the pup up. You can do this in one day.

My way of thinking is that it may be a 1 hr flight, but with the breeder driving the pup to the airport (or being picked up by agent) and then waiting for flight, waiting after flight and what happens in between, is going to end up being way more than 1 hr for the pup and probably a lot more stressful than being in a car and being rocked to sleep whilst hearing quiet music and humans talking amongst themselves.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about dogs over heating in flights and whilst waiting for flights. What if the flight gets cancelled etc? What if the pup is being boarded on a 35 degree day and during the middle of the day? Just too many outside influences for my liking.

Of course many a pup travels this way absolutely fine also.

Different if the trip was from the otherside of the country, but as close as an 8 hr drive, I would definitely be hopping in the car. But then, that is just me. I enjoy driving and 8 hrs is not far IMO.

Roads will not be overly busy as many are still on holidays in late Jan.

All the best whichever way you decide to go. :thumbsup:

Edited by dyzney

We get our new puppy at the end of January and I have a question for those in the know. The puppy is coming from Victoria and we're in NSW, and we were originally going to fly her over. However, my husband now thinks we should drive and get her instead because he thinks that it will be less stressful in an air conditioned car rather than waiting in the airport for the flight, then on the plane (and he reckons they'll just chuck her on, because he's watched them throw luggage on and they MUST treat animals the same way :thumbsup:). The drive would take us about 8 hours, whereas a flight would be an hour, plus another hour and a half once we've got her until home.

What do you think would be best?

If the breeder has had the pup in the car and its not carsick, I'd probably opt for the drive. 8 hours with a carsick pup, having to toilet it at public stops used by dogs of unknown vaccination status (it won't be fully immunised) and managing the risk of it getting offlead in a strange place are also things to consider.

An early morning flight (first thing to avoid the heat) would be fine. My Whippet pup flew from Melbourne to Canberra without incident. Most of the baggage handlers I've seen are careful with live cargo. If you go the flight option, use a pet transport company for peace of mind. I used Dogtainers.

Edited by poodlefan

After having a new puppy get VERY sick immediately after a plane flight (Vic to NSW), I would never have a puppy put on a plane again. added to that, there are lots of dogs that travel that you have no idea what diseases they are carrying and spreading to others.

Personally I would opt to fly over drive - less stress IME because it is a much shorter experience. if the pup is only 8 weeks or so and has a sound temperament it's very unlikely to be scared either way - at that age they generally cope with anything thrown at them.

The baggage handlers don't treat live animals as they do bags :thumbsup:

I would definitely fly. I had Kyojin flown over from Canberra to Brisbane and it was the best decision we made. He didn't have too long of a wait before the flight, flight was about 2 hours, and as soon as we got to the transport place, he was ready to go. He was completely fine and happy, and there was no stress on us.

We live in Victoria and picked our SBT pup up from NSW - about a six hour drive for us. He now loves the car and sleeps pretty much the whole trip. My family lives in NSW so we do the trip, with pooch, fairly regularly.

We spent about 1.5hrs with his breeder and one of his siblings (we had the choice of either) after that time he was happy to come in the car with us no worries. One word of warning would be to avoid the standard truck and roadside stops to let puppy out to toilet. This is because these are the areas that most people let thet dogs out to toilet so if a parvo dog has been through the soil might still be contaminated.

That said we didn't realise this when we picked up our pup and stopped at the standard stops and he didn't get sick.

Personally I'd drive the pup if I had time.

My puppy was quite traumatised by the flight from brisbane to sydney and did not like going in her travel crate when we picked her up and would bark, cry and howl as well as vomit and poop in the crate.

Guide dogs said that a lot of pups that are flown into sydney, are not good in the car intitially.

It only took her about 2 weeks to be perfectly comfortable in the car though, so its really not the end of the world if you do have to fly your pup.

Now she loves the car!

I'd fly the pup. 1.5hr flight versus 8 hours in a car! Not to mention the 16hrs worth of driving for you to pick upt he pup. My boy flew from Tassie, and arrived something like 2hrs late due to weather issues and he was no worse for the experience.. he just wanted cuddles and sleep!

My boy has been fine in the car from day one.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

I wouldn't be driving when there is options in summer.

Will you take your other dog with you??

I would simply have it flown over & spend the extra time introducing at home.

My dogs fly yearly & i have never had an issue.Quick/simply & air conned.

I always pick flights appropriate for travelling not not human convience

Fly the puppy.

Why would you put a young puppy through all those of hours of travel when you can fly the pup in a matter of a couple of hours.

You will find that most of the people that have said fly are also breeders that fly puppies all the time. They are well treated at the airports and travel in the same temparature as the passengers.

There is no way I would travel a pup of mine for all those hours. I fly all my pups and and bitches that go interstate.

Always remember that young pups and dogs are flying around the world everyday.

Put the puppy on the plane. Give Dogtainers in Canberra a call on 62549955 and book through them.

I've flown countless pups over the years and the worst we;ve had is one that has soiled his bed, but he still arrived happy and bouncing at the other end.

Was that Bear :vomit:

If you decide to drive make sure you have a crate for the pup and be prepared for a noisy drive home :vomit: .

I had a pup flown from NSW to WA last month and yes I was nervous but he arrived safe and very happy :) .

We brought our lil dude home from Melbourne to Adelaide last week.

We drove, didnt even consider flying him.

He was very happy in the car, cuddled up and slept most of the way. Since then, we have found that when he gets restless in the car, that he prefers to sleep lying on our feet, and will settle immediately. We had planned to stop every 2 hours for toilet and water stops, but he slept for 5 hours, and even then we woke him for a stop.

I have seen at the vets that about 1 in 4 dogs will get carsick, but perhaps if puppy is gonna get carsick, then he will get sick on the flight anyway, and maybe its better to have someone there to hold him and comfort him rather than be scared and alone in a crate somewhere.

Im sure you new lil buddy will love being home with you either way once he (or she!!) gets there. All the best.

I'd drive - this way I could also meet the dam and any other relatives the breeder has, along with seeing how his routine etc is normally.

I have driven pups home taking several hours and they have been fine with it - some have travelled on my knee when a friend drove - on a cooler day this is no problem (make sure the window is closed incase pup has a sudden wiggle for freedom) on warmer days the heat from your body can make them to warm.

I had a 4.5 hour journey with a car sick pup (who managed to empty both ends just as I got onto the motorway) not a pleasant experience to travel to the first services but she travelled the rest of the way home without anymore incidents.