Is This Wrong?

♥Bruno♥

There is a local person who owns and breeds Rottweilers (not sure if she is a registered breeder). At all the local shows, fetes, carols etc etc, she has her Rottweiler pull a cart, which kids sit in for a ride. She walks the dog around the oval with two kids at a time in the wooden cart. It just looks wrong to see a dog pulling a cart with two (sometimes 10 year old) kids in it. Am I being silly about it? Is this what Rottweilers are bred to do anyway, so the dog wouldn't be in any harm? I could understand if it was a couple of dogs, but this is always just one dog pulling the cart and kids.

I don't see anything wrong with it :p They were bred for herding, cart, droving & guard. :love:

Even White Swiss Shepherd's are 'Cart Champions' in South Africa. It probably looks odd as It's not a popular sport or activity in Australia.

Edited by EISHUND

What great PR for the breed! Rottweilers were used as draught dogs many years ago.

It is one of their many talents. :D

I love seeing Rottweilers pulling a cart. :love:

Kudo's to the Rottweiler owner, but I have a feeling I know who that is and I think if it is this person then yes she is a Dogs WA registered breeder and is doing the Rottweiler a huge service for showing them to be the great stable versitile dogs that they are. :love::o :D :p

I hope to be seeing competition carting here in Australia in the near future, it is a huge sport in the States. :love:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I love seeing Rottweilers pulling a cart. :)

You and me both, Sam, you and me both :) And, I have never met a Rottweiler who doesn't absolutely love pulling a cart as much as we love seeing them do it - bloody attention seekers that they are :o

I still remember being involved in a German festival as a young child (in Hahndorf, I think) - riding in a cart that was being pulled by our adult male, Ch Auslese Bacchus :D

Here is a page on our website, which includes a photo of Bacchus and his cart - http://www.allerzeit-rottweilers.com/beginning.html

Edited by Allerzeit

What great PR for the breed! Rottweilers were used as draught dogs many years ago.

It is one of their many talents. :)

I love seeing Rottweilers pulling a cart. :o

Kudo's to the Rottweiler owner, but I have a feeling I know who that is and I think if it is this person then yes she is a Dogs WA registered breeder and is doing the Rottweiler a huge service for showing them to be the great stable versitile dogs that they are. :) :D :laugh::)

I hope to be seeing competition carting here in Australia in the near future, it is a huge sport in the States. :D

And when the Drafting tests start we will be there............

It depends on how well the cart pulls as to how heavy items can be in the cart. The cart we have for Annabelle can be well weighted with weight and very easy to pull. If the dog has a good fitting harness and is sound it should all be fine. Annabelle loves to cart. I am pretty sure the Rottie probably does too. it is very hard to Draft with a dog, who does not want to. one of my past Newfie's did not enjoy it and we never did it with her after the first trials.

I have a neighbour who has just purchased a Rott puppy...they also have a young disabled daughter who has a little trouble getting around under her own steam....this sounds like the kind of thing she would love to have a go at when the dog is of an appropriate age...somehting she & her dog can paticipate in that doesn't involve her walking with him for miles. Can anyone link me to some resources of how they could go about geting involved in carting?

I have also seen a Rottie pulling a cart at a shopping centre last year.

I thought it was Awesome / Cute

I am sure the weight would be in the back of the cart so not too heavy for the dog.

Hmmmm Maybe there is something Tohko is useful for after all :eek::mad

He could take 10 kids at a time..... :D

Sure he's fine they are big dogs, wheeling around a little kid would be kindergarten for a healthy Rottweiler.

Remember he's not baring all the weight of the child and cart, most of the effort required is in his legs not his back or shoulders. All he is doing is pulling the cart not lifting it. Think about how easy it is to pull or push around a loaded shopping trolley. Now imagine trying to lift it ! In other words, even if there was multiple kids in the cart, it would be no problem as long as the tires are inflated properly and the ground is firm.

Edited by Lo Pan

;) :rofl::rofl::eek: :D :laugh: :D :rofl:

Merry Xmas Everyone

Emery that is true xmas spirit!

I wish that rotti lots of happy xmas's :D

There is a local person who owns and breeds Rottweilers (not sure if she is a registered breeder). At all the local shows, fetes, carols etc etc, she has her Rottweiler pull a cart, which kids sit in for a ride. She walks the dog around the oval with two kids at a time in the wooden cart. It just looks wrong to see a dog pulling a cart with two (sometimes 10 year old) kids in it. Am I being silly about it? Is this what Rottweilers are bred to do anyway, so the dog wouldn't be in any harm? I could understand if it was a couple of dogs, but this is always just one dog pulling the cart and kids.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I was being a bit over zealous, probably because I see some pets not being treated very well around here, I just wanted to be sure.

Yes the rotti pulling the cart is a strong large male, he gets up quite a pace too!

think i may know who he is but when is the next fete etc?? i want to come see him do it would love to do carting with my rottis :rofl: