Food Allergy Not Contact Allergy

JulesP

My little Amber was having allergy issues. It happened about the start of summer and was classic contact allergy (belly, nose, eyes). I was treating with Zyrtec which was helping and neocort, not helping and seemed to be hurting her.

I went away on the weekend and came home thinking she would be a bit worse as she had missed a tablet and some cream. I was going to take her to the vets this week for some heavier drugs.

I got home to a totally clear tummy, nose & eyes healing.

I suddenly thought - food. She was being a pain with eating kibble so I gave up about 6 days ago. She was quite thin and would obviously rather starve!

I am thinking the problem was food. She was on Pro Plan Sensitive!!!

What do you think could be the problem in here:

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

D-4449

I was thinking canola meal, which will shit me as I just got her some oil that contains that!

I don't even know what half of the ingredients are! How does anyone know really. For example, what the hell is animal digest??

Without doing an elimination test, no-one could tell which, if any, were an issue.

Edited by ~Anne~

One of my young boys recently lost all of the hair around his eye when I placed him on a more "natural" dry food. He was missing hair for nearly 6 months and it was getting worse. I didnt even consider a food allergy. He had been to the vet, skin scrapings, tablets etc and nothing worked.

I switched him onto Vets All Natural and within a week or two, the hair returned completely! All of my dogs are now on this and their condition is better than ever. Fantastic coats, no doggy smell, no bad breath and they love it.

digest is the cooked down by enzymes/heat/acids animal fats and meats off the carcasses. Adds meaty flavour without adding meat.

I'd say the barley or canola meal. usually if there is a wheat allergy you need to avoid barley and rye

My little Amber was having allergy issues. It happened about the start of summer and was classic contact allergy (belly, nose, eyes). I was treating with Zyrtec which was helping and neocort, not helping and seemed to be hurting her.

I went away on the weekend and came home thinking she would be a bit worse as she had missed a tablet and some cream. I was going to take her to the vets this week for some heavier drugs.

I suddenly thought - food. She was being a pain with eating kibble so I gave up about 6 days ago. She was quite thin and would obviously rather starve!

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

D-4449

I was thinking canola meal, which will shit me as I just got her some oil that contains that!

My allergic dog has not done well on Pro Plan sensitive, it really does depend on what the dogs allergies involve.

Brewers yeast is great for some dogs and not for others, it's a common allergen these day.

Oatmeal is also another allergen that's getting pretty common.

Looks like it's time to head to the Derm and do an elimination diet.

Could be any one of the ingredients, that's why allergies are so damn hard.

You will need to do a proper elimination diet to work it out unfortunately.

Yup.

Or I just listen to the little dog and stop trying to get her to eat kibble :crossfingers:

what was she eating while you were away ?

when you find something they don't react to, then stick to it.

As an example my Rusky (RIP) had shocking allergies but she went to kennel for a week and was great ! ahha!! used the food they used for years which was a product made here in Perth by a guy and they would bring down for me when they went to shows or I would pick up in Perth. Then he stopped.

The next food I used was supercoat with no additives, this worked till they fiddled with the product ( I had tried all the vet products ) She didn't get much kibble anyway but then I found eagle pack and all was well, she ate that till she passed at a ripe old age. She didn't get any red meat, just chicken necks, frames etc. It really is hard but if your dog was ok when you got home then stick to what you gave her then.

Yep, absolutely agree with this. The elimination diet needs to be done properly so that you get accurate results. Keep in mind she could be allergic to several foods, not just one.

My two both seem to be the same, although my boy is worse than my girl.

They eat mainly raw, with a little kibble in treat balls etc which is EP Holistic Select.

While I was away at new year and they were staying with grandma (my mum lol) she bought some more kibble (optimum) and they had little bumps all over them, not itchy though. After 2 days of no kibble (not even EP) the spots were disappearing.

I gave them a trial of the VAN mix and the next day they had masses of lumps all over them and pustule like bumps that resembled pimples. No more kibble for a few days and they have started going away again.

When they only get the EP in very minimal amounts, they don't have these bumps and they haven't had the pustule things before having the VAN.

The only time they get kibble with a feed is when they have sardines. I mix a little though so they eat slower.

So I am going to stick with what works and not 'feed' kibble, just use it in minority amounts.

D-4449

JulesP

It would be one of 4 ingredients imo

Brewers rice , oat meal , brewers dried yeast , Canola meal not sure what that is l thought it was an oil

Yep, absolutely agree with this. The elimination diet needs to be done properly so that you get accurate results. Keep in mind she could be allergic to several foods, not just one.

I agree 100% with this, having a very allergic dog myself even if you know exactly what they are allergic to etc they can still go through bad patches so rather go and get the dog tested and do an elim diet, at least then you will know for sure what you are up against.

Edited by Mason2009

Little dog is doing really well. She has put a heap of weight on and is feeling really, really good, lol.

I cross referenced the Pro Plan sensitive to other kibbles she has eaten and the only ingredient different is the salmon. Interestingly she is funny about eating sardines. She eats them like they are hot.