Getting A New Breed

huski

I've never seen pics of Large Munsterlanders before, they are lovely looking dogs!

They are lovely looking - and the two I know down here are lovely dogs - though one is a barker. One is a Trackiing Ch. - lovely worker.

Can't remember is anywon has suggeted a Lagotto - but maybe ba bit much grooming?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't read all 15 pages (just the first page and the last! haha) but you ruled out standard poodles cos you don't think they're drivey enough? Can you tell my girl that please?? lmao! Standard poodles are still very much a working super smart gundog underneath the fooffy hair-do, and certainly don't lack in drive (or smarts). The coat is easy care when shaved off every few months, and they look quite cool when shaved down anyway...

IMG_7828.jpg

Definitely not couch potatoes in the slightest, though being so hugely people-driven they are happy to relax on the couch when their humans are; just to stay near. They can be taller, but they're lighter boned than a husky, and you can get smaller ones too (that boy in the pic above is a big one! Paris is around 66cm and 18kg and she's a slightly taller for a bitch, though still normal)

Similar to a border collie in the brains, but not as obsessive as a b/c! Much more people oriented than a b/c too so they are a lot easier to live with as they just wanna appease and be with you. :crossfingers:

I have videos of my girl on youtube, both training and playing ones that show she's got drive. :rofl:

I've never seen pics of Large Munsterlanders before, they are lovely looking dogs!

They are lovely looking - and the two I know down here are lovely dogs - though one is a barker. One is a Trackiing Ch. - lovely worker.

Can't remember is anywon has suggeted a Lagotto - but maybe ba bit much grooming?

I haven't thought of a lagotto, but I don't really want anything that will need to be clipped or will require a tonne of grooming (because I am lazy).

I haven't read all 15 pages (just the first page and the last! haha) but you ruled out standard poodles cos you don't think they're drivey enough? Can you tell my girl that please?? lmao! Standard poodles are still very much a working super smart gundog underneath the fooffy hair-do, and certainly don't lack in drive (or smarts). The coat is easy care when shaved off every few months, and they look quite cool when shaved down anyway...

Oh all the standards I've met have been lovely, I do like them, in fact my mum is really smitten with them :crossfingers: I also know they are still a working dog, though the ones I've met have been quite calm and placid and I haven't met one yet that would have the level of drive I'm after. They are taller than what I'm looking for too, maybe one day :rofl:

All the standard's I've met have been hyperactive clowns and too much for their owners :crossfingers:

LOL I obviously haven't met enough standards!

There is one we always see the farmers markets who is just THE loveliest natured dog. She is so calm and well mannered and just a lovely lovely dog.

IMG_7828.jpg

Definitely not couch potatoes in the slightest, though being so hugely people-driven they are happy to relax on the couch when their humans are; just to stay near. They can be taller, but they're lighter boned than a husky, and you can get smaller ones too (that boy in the pic above is a big one! Paris is around 66cm and 18kg and she's a slightly taller for a bitch, though still normal)

Similar to a border collie in the brains, but not as obsessive as a b/c! Much more people oriented than a b/c too so they are a lot easier to live with as they just wanna appease and be with you. :crossfingers:

I have videos of my girl on youtube, both training and playing ones that show she's got drive. :rofl:

You obviously don't know too many border collies. I have zero problem with you giving your breed a plug. I have a major problem with you slagging my breed off. Not happy Jan.

I agree with JulesP - you haven't met many good BCs. I do agree the poodles have the brains but BCs are only obsessive if you let them and BCs do want to please you, work with you and will really try for you even if they can be inventive at times. I have met some lovely drivey poodles of all sizes who do well at obedience and agility but you can't beat a good BC.

There are not many around but there used to be a few in SA competing in obedience, agiltiy and tracking. Some had master titles, obedience and tracking ch and most of those competing were working in multiple disciplines. If I recall there was a dual obedience/tracking champ that was also competing in retrieving and agility as well.

A Large Munsterlander is the only dog in 20 years to qualify for the SA gundog club's award for placings in obedience, retrieveing and showing in the same year :crossfingers:

A smaller LM bitch would be within Huski's size range but they were brought into this thread because they are a breed I am considering :rofl:

Any breed csn have high or lower drive dogs in it (says she looking at the worlds lowest drive, smallest brain BC). It is really on picking a pup from a breeder you trust and bloodlines you want. Working dogs and gun dogs are probably your best bet as they should have the desire to work with you bred in - the biddability.

I have met only 1 large munsterlander being trained for performance (in the 90s) and she was a low drive dog but probably not typical of the breed.

Have you thought about breeds like koolies or do you only want ANKC MR/LR registrered?

Have you thought about breeds like koolies or do you only want ANKC MR/LR registrered?

Yeah I have, but they don't really appeal to me, not sure why.

I am thinking seriously about a couple of the gundog breeds :crossfingers:

Yeah I have, but they don't really appeal to me, not sure why.

I am thinking seriously about a couple of the gundog breeds :crossfingers:

I don't like the merles, but I don't relly like merles in any bred, but do like the other koolie colours but have met some awesome akoolies regardless of colour.

Would a Portugese Pendengo be too small? These guys have just been brought into Australia recently. There are three sizes, and I think the Australian breeder has the smallest size, but maybe the larger ones aren't too far away?

They are pretty cute. This guy barely needs his handler!

Husky I thought you wanted to get a dobermann as your next breed, they are off the list?

I love Dobes Mon, but they are bigger than what I am after for my current situation.

I will seriously consider a Dobie next time I am after a big dog though, they are probably my number one choice :crossfingers:

German Pinscher then?

Thanks Monah, she's a great little dog. Now Bronte is a dog with a work ethic, she just kept working and working at herding today. Somewhat unusual for the breed to go on and on like she did.

Loving the full clip out of the Std Poodle, that's my sort of clip, nice and even.

Hmmm, Husky the beauty of your research is that you have started so early, gosh you sound as organised as me. You'll have plenty of time to find yourself the perfect breed. Its just the waiting that's the hard bit.

A Large Munsterlander is the only dog in 20 years to qualify for the SA gundog club's award for placings in obedience, retrieveing and showing in the same year :laugh:

A smaller LM bitch would be within Huski's size range but they were brought into this thread because they are a breed I am considering :)

I did think they might be too large.

The lady who used to do quite a bit of agility with hers (she mostly shows now and has setters as well) used to train at the same club as me and we often sat in the same group at trials. They were always such happy dogs. I don't know if I ever saw them not wagging their tails :rofl:

Ok, i finally got to the end and no-one else has said it so i'll bring it up. Dutch Shepherd.

Still uncommon here (AFAIK) but recognised by the ANKC last year. http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=233

I believe theres a few breeders here already. Theres a breeder/owner in QLD somewhere near you as luck would have it. http://www.ck9sas.com.au/our-dogs.html

Theyre about 30kgs and the size of the Female GSD (55-63cm).

From the small amount of research i've done.

"The Dutch Shepherds are among the most competent of all shepherd dogs at such tasks as agility, catch, obedience competitions, guard work, herding, field trailing and companionship. " http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dutchshepherd.htm

Who knows how they'll be going in Oz by the time you're ready to get one.

I actually thought there'd be a whole lot more breeds being mentioned here. but i guess the thread is only a day old. for 12 pages.

You've really started something Huski.

If you dont know anything about a breed DONT make a suggestion. Dutchies in Australia are extreme, they are for high end working people not just someone who wants one for some weekend trials. They're at the extreme end of the working dog scale. If the propsect of a working line Malinois is out of the question, dutchies are a step above and have more then just prey drive.

Edited by Nekhbet

A Large Munsterlander is the only dog in 20 years to qualify for the SA gundog club's award for placings in obedience, retrieveing and showing in the same year :)

A smaller LM bitch would be within Huski's size range but they were brought into this thread because they are a breed I am considering :D

I did think they might be too large.

The lady who used to do quite a bit of agility with hers (she mostly shows now and has setters as well) used to train at the same club as me and we often sat in the same group at trials. They were always such happy dogs. I don't know if I ever saw them not wagging their tails :D

:) Yep, gundog = constant waggy tail!!!! :D :)