I Guess This Was My Fault....

Michelleva

Hubby and I were on our walk this morning and a lady was walking towards us with two little chihuaha's (?) and they were trying to rip her arm out to get towards me. They seemed friendly, and of course I said oh look at the cuties, they just want to say hello. So she stopped and I leaned down, one of them was barking at me and the other one seemed interested.

I presented my closed fist, so it could smell me, and it nipped me near the knuckle. It didn't break the skin, but I could feel it for a while. I can't understand why the woman didn't say they bite.... She just wandered off muttering about her naughty dog.

I think next time I better just keep my hands to myself. I've petted all sorts of dogs on our walks and never had an issue and the tiniest one, is the one who wants to eat me.... :rofl:

Live & learn :rofl:

I won't jump on you, cos I'm sure everyone else will :rofl: (said with tongue in cheek....you sound like you have figured out for yourself it wasn't the best idea, even if the owner seemed complicit). Perhaps it was because they were onlead & had the back up of mummy.

Edited by Willow

Live and learn :rofl:

Don't judge small dogs, they have personality too :rofl:

I have a small dog and she's FULL of personality. :rofl: She is however treated like the dog she is. A few months ago we went to the Pets Day Out in Frankston, where everyone is allowed to bring their dogs, ferrets and whaterver else along. I met so many fabulous dogs that day and the only aggression I spotted all day was from a chi, it had its teeth bared and was growling, at its owners feet. Not exactly a great advertisement for the breed.

Well I have met a Chi years ago (about 15+) this dog bit someone so badly they needed 16 stitches. (Note the dog was a purebreed with papers, and was shown)

The other Chi is a rescue at our local obedience club, rescued by a complete nutter who lets this dog dive out and attack the bigger dogs.

Since becoming involved with rescue, I've met lots of very nice Chi's and Chi crosses - maybe they were in the pound because they weren't nasty little ankle biters? Quite a few people I know who own Chis think it's a breed trait that they will be snappy - and let them get away with it... *sigh*

T.

Hubby and I were on our walk this morning and a lady was walking towards us with two little chihuaha's (?) and they were trying to rip her arm out to get towards me. They seemed friendly, and of course I said oh look at the cuties, they just want to say hello. So she stopped and I leaned down, one of them was barking at me and the other one seemed interested.

I presented my closed fist, so it could smell me, and it nipped me near the knuckle. It didn't break the skin, but I could feel it for a while. I can't understand why the woman didn't say they bite.... She just wandered off muttering about her naughty dog.

I think next time I better just keep my hands to myself. I've petted all sorts of dogs on our walks and never had an issue and the tiniest one, is the one who wants to eat me.... :)

Haven't had the honour or the privilege, maybe because I'm not a small dog person.

I only like Cresteds and they're not usually your street dogs. :)

ETA: luv the Bearded Collie

Edited by pewithers

First (and last) time I got bitten by a dog was a little terrier thing that "looked friendly". It wasn't. I am overly careful, now. :)

What's a little terrier thing?

A small dog that resembles a terrier. Probably of mixed and dubious origins.

Do mini schnauzers come under that category lol? The are terriers.

What a silly women not to warn you they might bite. But I must admit sometimes I have done silly things with strange dosg as I just forget that not all dogs are as pleased to see me as I am them.

I have a chi cross foxy who is the colour of a gold lab. When I first got her (long story) she had been locked up in a cage as an unsold puppy for 8 months and seemed pretty feral. Went to her first ever vet visit and she had a few needles and what seemed like a big needle to microchip her. She never made a move and even the vet commented on what a sweet nature she had.

And over the road, new neighbours have turned up with a similar coloured pure bred golden chi male called Dime. The other night putting garbage out, Dime couldn't stand the suspense of watching us out the window. He did the bolt and came over to say hello. Without even thinking I picked him up. Lucky for me all I got was lots of licks and big cuddles. I think I need to steal Dime as he is just a doll.

I think the temptation is for some owners to make babies out of small dogs. And also some small dogs are often put in situations where they feel they must defend themselves. Leads to some unstable behaviour.

Don't worry too much. Hope you're there to pat the next dog as well, my lot love a pat from a stranger. :)