If You Show Or Trial Your Dog

SkySoaringMagpie

Do you volunteer to help at trials and shows?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Volunteering - stewarding, club committee, etc

• I don't show/trial and I don't volunteer
    • I don't show/trial and I do volunteer
    • I show/trial and i volunteer
    • I show/trial and I don't volunteer
  2. 2. Why we volunteer

• I don't volunteer
    • I enjoy it
    • It helps me become better at showing/trialling
    • Networking
    • I believe I have a duty to if I get benefits from showing/trialling
    • I am required to for my judging qualification
    • Other - explain in comments
  3. 3. Why we don't volunteer

• I volunteer
    • I don't know what to do
    • Politics
    • I don't think I have anything to offer
    • I don't have time
    • My club is a closed shop
    • I don't know how to get started
    • I offer, and no-one gets back to me
    • I used to and have done my time/am burned out
    • Other - explain in comments

I volunteer because no one else does and the club needs people to help out (fair amount of people are lazy) it isn't that hard at obedience and doesn't involve that much to steward.

Agility is a bit of a pain because it goes for a long time.

It would be more benificial to get a heap of people to do a hour or two each helping that way people are more inclined to do it for there club and not have to spend hours of there time.

and to run a small induction on how the everything works at trails/shows so they don't just turn up with no clue which can delay big time a week or two before hand that way they no what to expect and exactly what to do when they arrive.

I volunteer at my breed club and on the group club committee.

My group club is very friendly bunch of people on the committee.

My breed club is really small and pet owners don't think they know how to help and past

members say they have been there so some one elses turn to do it.

BB

I show and don't volunteer there, apart from a couple of committees that don't take much time.

I haven't trialled for years but still steward at obedience trials - it's easy, takes not much more than a half a day usually, and because I am not an active participant in the sport any politics is lost on me. I don't instruct any more though, regular committents like that clash too often with work.

I have no desire to steward at shows, but could do more of the background work. As long as it didn't involve too many committee meetings. Most dog clubs (not yours ssm!) run meetings very poorly, and I just haven't the patience.

Edited by Diva

I used to volunteer quite a lot - on comittees, running shows, helping at trials etc. I still help out at the odd trial etc if asked but at this point it is time to concentrate on other things. I feel guilty sometimes, but after being told to 'slow down' I want to concentrate on things a bit higher up my personal 'to do' list for a while.

actually I've been wondering recently - how does a person go about supporting stuff like the tiny tots handler comp? I've seen a few at shows with the little kids proudly showing their stuffed toy dogs and it is too cute for words. You also see the mums, dads and friends giving them gentle tips and teaching the very beginings of handling skills and I just think it is a wonderful idea and would like to support a club show that offers it, but I don't know who to ask.

I am not trialling yet but hopefully soon. I've stewarded at an obedience trial, and will do again... and I will probably do instructing as well.

The only thing I worry about is time - I already feel guilty about not spending enough time with my own dogs (between full time work and other hobbies like sport) so that's something I need to work out.

I volunteer because I feel that everyone should do their bit to help their club as you get so much out, 18 months ago I got a puppy and had no idea how to train it and in a few weeks I am entering him in CCD Western Classic, my dog is 20 months old. Without my club ( and a few Dolers) I would have had no idea how to do this! Achieving stuff with my dog has given me a great feeling of pride, I had horses for 16 years but none of them enjoyed competing and so I stopped, my dog seems to enjoy competing!

I volunteer

I like helping out, club asked me to help out too. Well they asked everybody.

I think I'm on the committee this year too, but not sure how that's going to go because so far all the meetings since November have clashed with other things I've had on, that are a bit hard to get out of (like my sister's wedding).

I like helping out at the competitions because I learn so much. More than if I just spectate. Only downside is there is no room for me to bring the dog and help because I have no time to spend with the dog when I'm helping and I don't think it would go down too well if all the ring helpers and the judge had their own dogs around and in my case barking its head off in that super squeaky pissed off bark.

I help out where I can - the club that I'm a member of, I always assist on the morning of the trial for set-up and pack up at the end of the day. Many hands make light work with heavy gear, especially at the end of a long day.

I also try and step in to assist with course set-up, particularly at trials where you can see they are short staffed. I have a long drive to most trials so if people step-up in and help everyone gets to head off and arrive home that bit earlier :rolleyes:

That said, some clubs don't treat their helpers very well and continue to scream for help. Maybe they need to look at why they can't get the assistance and why people keep walking away...

At the moment I don't show or trial unless I'm taking someone else's dog into the show ring. If a trial is run by my club and i can possibly help out, I will. I think it's important. I also teach obedience on monday nights at my club. It's a couple of hours out of my week and i would rather see people happy with their dogs than their dogs end up in a pound in 18 months.

It wont let me vote. :rolleyes:

I trial and I do volunteer. I originally trained at a small country club that always struggled for helpers. That meant I didn't get to trial my own dogs as I had too many jobs helping to run the trial.

Because of that, I have a really good appreciation of how much work goes into running a trial, and help whenever and however I can.

I love it when it is an away trial and I can just focus on my dogs and enjoy the company of my trialling friends. I am always gracious to the judges, stewards and all the other workers that make the trial happen as I've been there and know how hard it is to pull it off. :thumbsup:

I have volunteered for most things i've been involved with in my life but at this time while i'd like to i don't have the time. Its hard enough for me to get to a show and have babysitting organised, so volunteering is out for me for a while yet.

I've been on Show Committees... I need to do stewarding for my Judges Licence...

I quit the clubs i was a committee member on casue there was no point... Most where very closed in their ways of operating and judge selections...

I show, and I'm on the committee & we work hard for our club shows !

Country shows need helpers, othewise no country shows.

Most run on a shoestring and the assistance of a very tiny committee. It's nice on the show days when exhibitors who are there early or late, jump in & help with ring setting up or breaking down, or just pop over & offer their assistance after they've been on.

I used to show and not help much, but I was nervous enough as a new showie without trying to think of the bigger picture !!!

And not everyone is perfect for every job either, clubs should play to the strengths of their active members.

It does annoy me when people jockey for committee positions in clubs, but are no-where to be seen when they are needed to work !

fifi

I show, and I am involved in numerous clubs. I have been Secretary of two All Breeds Clubs, one for about 2 years and the other I have been the secretary for going on 10 years now :rolleyes:

And I am involved in both my breed clubs pretty much constantly since I started. Currently Secretary of one, and President of the other.

If people dont volunteer their time, to at least one club, then numbers drop and clubs have trouble staying alive. It can be hard work, but I think if everyone did just one job then that burden is shared.

I show, but have not as yet worked at a show. I should say though, that I'm acting secretary, education officer and puppy/adult referral officer for our breed club. I'd be more than happy to work on a show (be it demonstration, open or breed ch show) but our club is quite young and that is something to work towards :birthday: If and when it happens, assuming I am still around, I'm more than happy to volunteer :birthday:

Edited by lappiemum