Keeping Your Dog Warm

jacqui835

Last night it got to about 13*C and my poor dog (who's a doberman with a very short coat) was so cold I had to let him into the bed. It was ok last night because I don't have work today and my partner wasn't there either, but it's not a viable long term solution - he is just too big. I have tried wrapping him in blankets, but he the only time he seems ok with being under blankets is when they're the blankets on the bed, he happily sleeps under my covers with his head on the pillow. Otherwise he just shrugs the blankets off and goes back to shivering. It's still summer so it's only going to get worse and I'm just at a loss of how to keep him warm short of sharing my bed with him. Anyone else have a big dog who gets cold at night? How do you keep them warm? We are thinking of getting a second dog at some stage this year and it would be a german shepherd, so hopefully she would then be able to keep him warm but that is still some time away...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night it got to about 13*C and my poor dog (who's a doberman with a very short coat) was so cold I had to let him into the bed. It was ok last night because I don't have work today and my partner wasn't there either, but it's not a viable long term solution - he is just too big. I have tried wrapping him in blankets, but he the only time he seems ok with being under blankets is when they're the blankets on the bed, he happily sleeps under my covers with his head on the pillow. Otherwise he just shrugs the blankets off and goes back to shivering. It's still summer so it's only going to get worse and I'm just at a loss of how to keep him warm short of sharing my bed with him. Anyone else have a big dog who gets cold at night? How do you keep them warm? We are thinking of getting a second dog at some stage this year and it would be a german shepherd, so hopefully she would then be able to keep him warm but that is still some time away...

dog coats or jammy's :crossfingers:

Dog coat and a nice soft squishy warm bed. My Dobes always wore coats. I made double polar fleece ones and also had weatherbeeta ones. When my old girl was very old she wore both :crossfingers:

They also had hot water bottle - but didn't chew- now I would use a heated bed or a snugglesafe disk.

I had the same problem last night.. he was lying on the couch shivering and crying ( he will keep it up for hours no matter how much we ignore him) because he was freezing. I tucked him into his crate with his doona on top of him, and that worked last night... If he wears a coat he eats it until he can take it off. I think he'll end up with doggie jammies this year, he really doesn't like the cold. His preference (all year round!) would be to sleep under the doona on the bed, but it's not an option! We also change his diet coming up to winter and through winter, so he carries a little bit more weight(2kg max), as this helps him stay warmer, and he's less likely to drop weight from shivering. The cold temps the past 2 days have been enough for him to lose weight already.. I've not had a dog so sensitive to cold as him before, so he'll probably be heading off to the vet for a check up next week just to be sure.. I'm also tossing up on getting him a snugglesafe disk as well to see if that helps.

My two think the colder the better! Walkies in -5 degrees? AWESOME!!! :crossfingers:

When we were fostering a greyhound she wore a soft Weatherbeeta coat almost constantly, I only took it off to 'air her out' so to speak :crossfingers: She had a crate and bed with polar fleece blankies which she snuggled into at night.

Bundy sounds like a candidate for a heated dog bed!!

He's a shocker, it drives me crazy, but he's been like this ever since he first came home! I think I might have to look into it for him, but he also has a habit of scratching his bedding and tearing it up to make a 'nest' so I'd hate for him to do that to a heated bed.

My guys have a variety of coats and also pjs. While they look miserable when I put the pjs on, they are nice and warm :crossfingers:

The iggy loves to snuggle under blankets and doonas regardless of the heat so he gets covered of a night time (and then he sneaks into our bed) and Lilly also loves a blanket thrown over her if it is cold.

Bundy sounds like a candidate for a heated dog bed!!

He's a shocker, it drives me crazy, but he's been like this ever since he first came home! I think I might have to look into it for him, but he also has a habit of scratching his bedding and tearing it up to make a 'nest' so I'd hate for him to do that to a heated bed.

You can get heat pads where the heating wires are embedded in hard plastic. They go under bedding.

OMG please take a photo of that :crossfingers:

I was googling yesterday looking for cool coats and came upon this site

BW dog coats

It is a US site but they had some great looking coats and some interesting bed options for dogs. I thought the pita bed looked pretty cool, as did the design of their warmer coats.

It could give you some ideas for what to do for your dog to keep him warm :crossfingers:

By popular request, here he is in bed. He wasn't actually cold on this occasion, but is always very happy to be invited onto the bed. Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like he's going to get a coat. I need an outdoor one for him too, because sometimes we take him fishing and stuff and if he's just standing still he also gets cold.

IMG_0140.JPG