Creative Spelling And Pronunciation For Breeds.

pixie_meg

Purebred Maltese sheshitzu, West Highlander (this one drives me batty)...geez I can't remember anymore of them so many.

The ones I love/loathe are the clients that proudly tell you their dogs breed like you are an idiot who knows nothing, and then they stuff up the

pronunciation and breed origin anyway. :) (OMG...the crap some 'breeders' tell people).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much I suppose.

Most showies/breeders say 'yon' rather than 'ahn' as the last syllable.

Phalene is another story... I've heard so many pronunciations for that, I'm not quite sure which is right!! But I do say it as 'fay-leen'.

Actually the 'yon' makes more sense as in french double LL is pronunced as Y . :)

My Rhodesian Ridgeback has been called:

Rhodesian Hunchback

I'd just recovered from Lousy Aspros & laughing fit to crack ribs.

Now this! :)

I have to agree those are pearlers!

I have had Whippits and Devo dogs........and the OH wondered why there was no way any of my Whippets would ever be called Devo!!!

My pet hate BELGIUM Shepherds.

Groenendahl and Tervueren are easy. It's the Mals and Laks that have people going.

What is the correct pronounciation for those, took me long enough to get the Mali's right!

Groan-en-darl

Ter-ver-en

Mal-en-wah

Lak-en-wah

'ois' is pronounced 'wah' in French (and in Belgian also I suppose)

Thank you - I shall practice :)

Spent quite a few years doing paperwork for obedience club and some breeds I've never forgotten

rockwheeler

shit zoo

and the ultimate.... SHUG! :laugh: I ran this one past the head instructor as owner didn't know. Turned out to be Shih-tzu x pug - talk about ingrown hairs around the face!!!

Why are the general public so dumb about this stuff??? How can they ever be educated, especially when "breeders" can't get it right in the paper ads? :)

guess the OH silly nicknames for the spots aren't so bad...

dalstupid.... after said dalstupid has headbutted the table 10 times in a row... he know he cannot fit under it... but never gives up trying.

dumbmatain.... for above reason... or as OH says not a sharp tool but still a tool.

although the OH did have a couple of customers convinced that's their breed! :):laugh: some folks are trusting.

My pet hate BELGIUM Shepherds.

Groenendahl and Tervueren are easy. It's the Mals and Laks that have people going.

What is the correct pronounciation for those, took me long enough to get the Mali's right!

Groan-en-darl

Ter-ver-en

Mal-en-wah

Lak-en-wah

'ois' is pronounced 'wah' in French (and in Belgian also I suppose)

Thank you - I shall practice :laugh:

x2 :laugh:

I was pronouncing Malinois as Mal-in-noi for aggges.

Its hard with some breeds though when you read about them but never get a chance to hear how they are pronounced, I still wonder about these.

Ovcharka (Is it just like its spelt?)

Cane Corso

Bouvier des Flandres (I'm always too scared to talk about them because I can't say it)

Italian Spinone (is it really Spin-own-ee like it plays in my head?)

Fila Brasileiro (I know BSL means they arn't around but I love the breed anyway)

Basset Fauve de Bretagne (Another breed I'm too unsure to mention out loud)

And

Daschund (I'm embaressed that I've never had anyone correct me but I know Dash-Hound is wrong)

Its hard with some breeds though when you read about them but never get a chance to hear how they are pronounced, I still wonder about these.

Cane Corso - Car-nay Core-so

Bouvier des Flandres (I'm always too scared to talk about them because I can't say it)

Italian Spinone (is it really Spin-own-ee like it plays in my head?) - Pretty sure it's Spin-own

Fila Brasileiro (I know BSL means they arn't around but I love the breed anyway)

And

Daschund (I'm embaressed that I've never had anyone correct me but I know Dash-Hound is wrong)

The funniest creative spelling and pronounciation of any breed I ever heard came from a friends young daughter many years ago now but I always think of the breed as such!

The child kept referring to 'that Wild Banana dog over there'......Yep it was a Weimaraner!

:):thumbsup:

Annie

The worst I've ever heard came from the boss at the first grooming salon I worked at.

He informed me that we had a "Doggy-deb-a-doe" booked in. I was like "what?" and he repeated it. Sure enough, half an hour later arrived a "dogue de Bordeaux"!

He also used to call Lhasa Apso's "larso apsies", and one day tried to edumacate me that the "Skippakey" (Schipperke) only comes in black.

This guy owns a chain of grooming salons and was an absolute moron to say the least.

Cane Corso

Italian Spinone (is it really Spin-own-ee like it plays in my head?)

And

Im pretty sure its Dux-hund...or something to that effect

Id see Cane Corso as the italian pronunciation "Car-ne Cor-so"

Edited by GoldenGirl85