Labradoodle Pedgiree Or Not?

greatdanes101

I also made this point but was shouted down by the know-it-alls on here :)

Oh please, let's not let the facts get in the way of a dramatic post. I was the only one who said anything, there wasn't a group of people such as you have implied. You were also certainly not 'shouted down', there was no anger or yelling in what I said.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be distressing to poodle purists that their breed is being used in the development of this new breed, but the fact is that the niche exists,

But just what niche is that? For a dog which is perceived to be non-shedding and isn't, calm and intelligent and isn't, healthier than either parent breed and isn't?

If you want a ''non shedding'' breed which is larger than a Bichon but not a Standard Poodle then what's wrong with a Portuguese Water Dog, Standard or Giant Schnauzer, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Kerry Blue Terrier, Lagotto, the list is pretty extensive.

What is wrong with them is the general public doesn't know about them!

I think only after a lengthy period of time passes will we find out which are the new breeds that are here to stay and which are the fly by night fads. Out of interest, what are the 'recent' breeds that have been recognised only in the last few decades as a 'real' breed?

Tenterfield Terriers would probably be the breed most recently recognised by the ANKC.

I'd love to see the Murray River Curly Coated Retriever make that jump too.

Dutch Shepherds were only very recently recognised by the ANKC :rofl:

What I found amusing about the original story was that no one wanted the surplus puppies when they were lab x poodle as they were mutts. Then Wally Conron came up with thr name Labradoodle and all of a sudden, there wasn't enough pups to go round.

So, what's in a name?

It might be distressing to poodle purists that their breed is being used in the development of this new breed, but the fact is that the niche exists,

But just what niche is that? For a dog which is perceived to be non-shedding and isn't, calm and intelligent and isn't, healthier than either parent breed and isn't?

If you want a ''non shedding'' breed which is larger than a Bichon but not a Standard Poodle then what's wrong with a Portuguese Water Dog, Standard or Giant Schnauzer, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Kerry Blue Terrier, Lagotto, the list is pretty extensive.

Appologies if this is going OT but I don't know much about many of these dogs mentioned either other than most are non-shedding. What are their tempraments like? Would they be a match to people who are looking for a labradoodle (I know that labradoodles don't exactly have a standard temperament but I guess I am trying to say are they biddable, happy go lucky family dog similar to a labrador).

Giant Schnauzers, Wheatons and Kerry Blues can be pretty full-on dogs, not exactly great for people who have no idea about dogs.

So can Lab/poodle crosses. We see pretty full on examples at our dog club.

People who have no idea about dogs have plenty of options when it comes to getting a dog they have no idea how to raise or cope with. :rofl:

Appologies if this is going OT but I don't know much about many of these dogs mentioned either other than most are non-shedding. What are their tempraments like? Would they be a match to people who are looking for a labradoodle (I know that labradoodles don't exactly have a standard temperament but I guess I am trying to say are they biddable, happy go lucky family dog similar to a labrador).

The Labrador x Poodles I have met have been, without exception, crazy nasty b*****ds and two were very keen on biting the children that were present. Biddable and happy go lucky - not a chance! Neither did they LOOK much like a Labrador (one actually looked like a Bouvier) and neither would I say the average poorly bred Labrador is invariably a good family pet any more than the average poorly bred cross bred "doodle''

Portuguese Water Dog - intelligent, think for themselves and adore being with people. Need a job, no different to any other intelligent dog - such as oh, let me think, oh yes a Poodle or Labrador.

Standard Schnauzer - perky, intelligent, confident. A bit more "dog'' than a Miniature Schnauzer, a little more aloof perhaps?, but IMO more sensible and more trustworthy than the average pet Mini Schnauzer because I think too much of the pet Mini market has been acquired by BYBs.

Giant Schnauzer, not a dog I would recommend to the sort of person who believes a Labrador x Poodle is going to automatically be biddable and happy go lucky similar to a Labrador.

Soft Coated Wheaten is a Terrier through and through, Kerry Blue even more so. Fabulous dogs in the hands of the right person

Lagottos are often described as intelligent and calm natured but being intelligent, again would not be great for someone who believes a Labrador x Poodle is going to automatically not shed and will behave like one of those mythical biddable Labradors.

ETA: just an aside. ALL DOGS SHED. Even the great Labrador x Poodle sheds. EVERYTHING WITH HAIR WOOL OR FUR SHEDS! Even sheep shed.

Edited by Sandra777

Put your flame suits on :p

LABRADOODLES. Designer breeds? They are all unchecked mutations and I hate the very idea of them. No they are not a purebreed. No they should NEVER be recognised as a pure breed. NO they will never be. And if they are I'll shave my head in protest. They're not bred to any standard they don't fit most standards they were supposed to be bred for and it seems morons tend to be attracted to such breeds.

No not all labradoodle owners are morons. But the ones I've met are. And I've met over twenty labradoodles in the past six months (work at a doggy day care) their owners have no idea.

I do not support DD> As an owner of Poodles I am dismayed at the farming of poodle x's and the apparent demand of the public for such things. Breeds that get popular now are usually shelter fodder the following years. I remember back in the 70's it was the German Shepherd and the many x's, the collies and the various x's....currently it is the staffys and the var x's....lets not mention the poodle/maltese/shittzu x's.... the cost of popularity. I would argue that most recognised breeds were once crosses in their development, but the current popular crosses are not developing a type they are merely developing a profit at the whims of a public that see dogs as a fashion statement.

I will not argue about the benefits or lack thereof of DD as they are not a type and therefore as a ctross they are what they are on an induvidual basis.

I just feel sorry for all of the registered Labrador and Poodle breeders. Especially Poodle breeders who are probably sick of people asking them if their dog is a Labradoodle.

But then I also feel for registered Chihuahua breeders with all of the teacup versions floating around in peoples handbags and the registered Pomeranian breeders with all of the Miniature Pomeranians around. If only people knew that Pomeranians should not be knee high in the first place.

Its a mess and I will never support breeding mongrels for money, whether it be a "Labradoodle" or a Cockadoodledoo.

I just feel sorry for all of the registered Labrador and Poodle breeders. Especially Poodle breeders who are probably sick of people asking them if their dog is a Labradoodle.

But then I also feel for registered Chihuahua breeders with all of the teacup versions floating around in peoples handbags and the registered Pomeranian breeders with all of the Miniature Pomeranians around. If only people knew that Pomeranians should not be knee high in the first place.

Its a mess and I will never support breeding mongrels for money, whether it be a "Labradoodle" or a Cockadoodledoo.

I got an unsolicted phone call from a Lab bitch owner when my Mini poodle boy was entire.

My friend rehoming a brown mini poodle boy found people quickly lost interest when she said he'd be desexed before he left.

I'm no fan of early desexing but I can understand why breeders of the popular puppy mill breeds would do it.

Edited by poodlefan

Why do we need more breeds?? Why do we need to create a ne breed when we have breeds that already fit that purpose...

Labradoodles where created and failed, they only exist now is because DD farmers and apparent Associations are cashing in on the fad, many are randomly bred with from poodles or labs that where sold as pets.

They crossed the poodle with the lab to get the poodle coat with a lab temperment (poodle still has the better temp :rolleyes: )... yet after 20yrs they still cannot produce entire litters that produce true and breed true...

Yes many of our current breed where bred from numerous other breeds, by why should we surrender a current breed for something new that doest work???

Even the Guy that orgianally started breeding them has openly admitted he made a big mistake in them...

All of the breeds you have mentioned are relatively rare, if everyone who were currently shopping for labradoodles suddenly went to the breeders of these breeds how many of them would actually get pups in the near future? Most would be waiting for years if they ever got a pup at all. As others have mentioned not all of those breeds are suitable substitutes as of course it's not just size and coat that maketh the breed.

You are correct in the assertion that the general public do need to me made more aware of some of the alternative non shedding breeds available to them.

I wonder if the popularity of the "labradoodle" wont die the minute it becomes a registered breed? Most of the people I know who went out to find a breeder of these believe in hybrid vigour so thats going to go out the window isnt it :rolleyes:

I dont have any issues with new breeds so long as they do the right thing but what are the registered breeders going to do about the BYBs then? The same money makers will go on to find something new to breed and the interest will die.

The question. Saying that the labradoodle becomes a legit breed why would I buy one? It wont be shed free, wont be relaxed and easy going so what is the niche? What role will this dog fill exactly?